Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring nightmare... CAN communication and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wiring nightmare... CAN communication and other questions

Hello,

I am working on a 2000 Jaguar S-type 3.0 that doesn't run. I will give the detailed background story at the end.

The vehicle had wiring damage in the front right fender and I have been trying to diagnose a no-start condition and a CAN network failure.

**First of all, where in the world is Junction FC35?
According to the electrical service manuals (1999.25 matches this vehicle's setup) it is described as a "White 22-way Junction Connector" "Behind Glove Box". I Have searched like mad and even removed the glove box and changer, no luck.

**Second issue is regarding measuring the resistance across the data lines.
From what I have researched about Ford CAN, I believe there are "termination resistors" in certain components on the network and when they are all connected properly I should read 60 ohms across the Serial Data pins on the DLC connector (#2 S+, #10 S-). For some reason I get no continuity between Serial Data pins 2 and 10, but #2 S+ reads 120 ohms to ground, #10 S- has no continuity to ground. Further complicating things, if I disconnect the four connectors from the Secondary Junction Box (behind the "dead pedal") I will get 360 ohms at the DLC (#2 S+), 360 ohms at the S+ for the General Control Module (driver's kick panel), and 360 ohms at the S+ for the Rear Control Module (trunk RH), not a single S- line has any continuity to ground or to any S+ line but the wires do not have any breaks.
I cannot find junction FC35 so I cannot isolate which component on the DLC circuit has the 360 ohms, it could be A/C, Gauge, Radio, or Steering Wheel Modules. Any info or advice on this would be appreciated.

Ok, onwards to the no-start...

If I spray the throttle body the engine tries to run so obviously the PCM has some awareness of the crank position, the coils are being driven, and it has a fueling issue.
The fuel pump will not run, however if I unplug it and power it directly the pump runs and I get fuel at the rail but even with that the engine doesn't so much as hiccup, so I believe the injectors are not pulsing either. I can't even get to the wires to test them. From what I have read, the fuel pump gets its power through the Rear Control Module. The Powertrain Control Module decides how much fuel is needed and sends a PWM signal on a dedicated wire (not through the CAN) to the Rear Module which then varies the voltage to the pump. I've already tested the fuses, relay, and inertia switch. What I need to know:
Is there anything that can kill the fuel but not spark such as no oil pressure signal or no cam sensor signal or a false over-temperature reading from the temp sensor?

Other weirdness: the cooling fan will run whenever the key is on. I have the valet key and the FOB, I think PATS is OK because the starter works. Traction light stays on. Fuel Computer Error on dashboard if I go to what I assume is an MPG display.

Details:
2000 model 3.0 NAS
ABS/Traction (no DSC)
Basic audio system (AM FM Cassette CD Changer no Navi)

DLC communication problems:
I've tried two professional scanners, they do not have the European/Jaguar software. Will not communicate in Global OBD mode.
Since this is a DEW platform vehicle I used the SnapOn scanner and selected a 2000 Lincoln LS V6 and played with the function tests and read memory codes, here's what I got:

I can operate the wipers, the windows, the seats, and steering wheel with the scanner so some modules are talking.

Keep in mind these module names are for a Lincoln LS and a lot of these memory codes are because half the wires were ripped out.
PCM: No communication
A/C Module: Memory B1257 B1261 B1967
Front and rear module: C1284, Memory B1676 B1794 U1041
Instrument Cluster Tests: KOEO B2328, Memory B1201 B1600 B1681 U1262
Message Center Module Tests: *ROM Level 22 Checksum 0000* U1131 U1262 B1676
ABS C1095 C1805 U1262, Memory B1676 C1233 C1234 C1235 C1236 C1095 C1805 U1027 U1262
Airbag: Memory B1869 U2017 U2018
Other: B1272 P1641

Fun stuff...

So here's the story...
I started working at a shop and every day we would have to push the car out and back in at the end of the day. It has some stupid looking chrome rims and a stupid lambo-door conversion and a trashed interior. My boss figured out I understand electrical and asked me to get it running. I start by checking the fuses and diodes. I notice broken coolant pipes and broken connector tabs and an extra crank sensor wire. I ask for some background info on the car...
One of ball joints failed and the tire took out all the wiring near it (I guess the owner decided to buy rims instead of balljoints). I am told it was taken to a shop where some poor ******* had to splice all the wires back together and the car ran but the throttle didn't work. Then it was brought to the shop where I work now and at least three other guys had tried to make it run. Two of those guys do not work there anymore so I can't ask them what they've done and the third knows nothing about electrical he said he changed the intake gasket. A replacement junkyard harness was ordered but it was not the damaged harness, it was the engine harness, for some reason it was installed anyway and the hackjob harness was left on the car.
Not only was the wrong harness ordered and installed anyway, the crank sensor wiring was alleged to be faulty so it was cut off the old harness and spliced in. So here I am, testing every damn wire I can reach and not really getting anywhere... Not sure if I need an oscilloscope or a flare gun.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Tell your boss that this S Type is not a 1960 generation American vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a challenge, you are fighting a battle that is NOT worth battling, the vehicle is not worth your time nor the shop paying what ever little you are getting paid. Since there seems to be so many different wiring issues being described you will end up being my age and the vehicle still won't be running.

But what do I know about these 3.0 S Types and being young and working for someone that is taking advantage of you.

Good luck to you young man, I hope you can prove me and your boss wrong.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

1999.25 can't be right as no CAN in the cars back then.

CAN came in for 2002.5MY (2003USA).

Why do you think there's a CAN fault? How sure are you it's a 2000 car? One of the two is for certain wrong!

Old 07-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Ford used a PCM (Powertrain Control Module for ECM & TCM in one unit) for the X200 and did NOT want a CAN bus for the engine/trans/ABS. (did not want to pay for the rights)

The car has the SCP network (Standard Corporate Protocol) and sometimes you can 'LIE' to a Ford scanner and enter it as a Lincoln LS. No communication to the PCM is a red flag. Something is not right.

You also do NOT have a location described in your post or signature. Many people here have WDS, IDS, AutoEnginuity etc. that might be local and willing to scan the car for faults???

good luck

bob gauff

Last edited by motorcarman; 07-04-2015 at 11:57 AM.