XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Considering 1999 XJ8, Need advice & Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering 1999 XJ8, Need advice & Info

Hi everybody. I've been checking out mid to late 90's Jag's lately and think I've almost found the car. I've negotiated a salesman down to $3750 for a 99 XJ8 with 127,000 miles on it. The car is almost in perfect condition, a few minor things here and there, like the infamous broken cup holder, and the seal on the sunroof needs to be replaced or repaired. Other than that the car looks good. Any advice or suggestions?

Another question I have is about the "integrated phone system." Is it any good? Its a 99 so will my bluetooth phone connect to it? Can anyone tell me anything useful about that? Also the seller has keys, but no remotes. I found some on ebay for about $50 each, can I program them without an existing one? And how would I know anything about if the car has an alarm or not? I know, lots of questions.

I think the price is good, but I pulled a Carfax and the cars been to auction more than once. Needless to say, I know more about the car then the seller. What do you guys think?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

That's a car I would have an experienced Jag mechanic take a look at. If the original transmission is still in the car, and you plan to use it regularly, budget another $3K to prepare for the eventual rebuild.

Another $800 for secondary timing chain tensioners, they may have been replaced or certainly need to be otherwise. Remote programming is no problem, and the car has a factory installed alarm system. With the two major areas covered as mentioned, you will love the car.

Ask your mechanic to have a good look at the front suspension as well: any unusual tire wear is not an accident, the front suspension ball joints and wishbone bushings are often approaching the end of their useful life at the mileage you indicated.

Price-wise, if the cosmetics are in good order, the deal strikes me as reasonable. It's not a steal, and unattended engine or transmission issues will make you regret the purchase. Good hunting.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The XK8/R forum here has exactly what you are looking for under the FAQ sticky. Link over and you will find a subject at the top entitled:

"I’m buying a used XK8/XKR, what should I look for?"

Below those links you will find further information on all the issues discussed including a link to the Jaguar owners manuals. I would suggest that you go through all the car's operations to ensure that everything works. A non functional AC system can cost as much as a transmission.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=29800

Other than the convertible top issues, just about everything else will apply to the XJ8/R. You will need to get a part number from a dealer for the correct fob based on the VIN. There were at least 2 each year and are not interchangeable. Easy to program. The factory phone is obsolete cell technology. No one will support it.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

You can add a bluetooth adapter (like the Motorola T605 or some Parrot models) to the existing factory wiring with just a little effort, and then your cell phone will connect and operate perfectly through the car stereo... there are several posts related to this in the forum. If you get the car, we'll be glad to help you get the phone system working.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks guys. I will probably go pick it up tomorrow morning. I want to take it out and inspect real good one more time, as best I can anyway. Historically I've been an American car guy with a brief stint in a mitsubishi once. Jag is a whole new world to me, and I understand the expense involved if repairs are necessary. I'm thinking that At this price and mileage I can drive it for 2 years and if I have to part ways with it after that than so be it, but if I get 2 years with little maintenance then I believe I got my money's worth out of a sweet car. I will keep you guys informed. Thanks again.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The phone system is old school, not the bluetooth kind you are thinking of. I think the price is very low, that is more reason to check the car over carefully since the car has been to few auctions so it means it has been hard for it to find a home. One more thing, gas millage is not so good on this car(2 ton), about 17 adv.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 PM

Yeah thats kind of what I've had in mind Johnny. Heres a link to the car: (the mileage is wrong, its over well over 127k now and the pics don't reveal things that I've found in person like loose mirror, leaky sunroof, driverside door has been repaired and painted [although decent enough], and small things like that) http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Old 03-19-2010, 12:36 AM

Hi guys, well I did buy the car. The whole thing was actually painted, I don't know why it took me so long to spot that, but look at the pics in the link above, they id a pretty nice job. Ironically I pulled into my driveway and the driver window stopped working! I'm sure thats something I can tackle without breaking a sweat. Hopefully thats all. But I do have some questions for you pros. the owners manual that came in the car does not tell me anything about using all the gadgets and stuff. The door locks, interior buttons etc. A couple buttons in particular are the two under the shifter, and the ones next to the steering wheel:Name:  insideofcar.jpg
Views: 7640
Size:  42.8 KB

Old 03-19-2010, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

The left button is the cruise control on/off. The right is the 'Sport' mode on/off. Sport mode electronically raises the transmission shift points about 300 rpm providing a feeling of more HP. The 'Normal' mode can feel a little weak with more frequent down shifts at low, below 50 mph, speeds but it does provide better fuel mileage.

Everything should be in your owners manual. Check here to see if you have the correct manual.

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/extf...prod/index.jsp

Welcome to the wonderful world of Jaguar!

Old 03-19-2010, 07:49 PM

QuadManiac I'd be glad if you could direct me to the right forums about the phone.

Test Point- thanks, I was actually trying to figure out the crusie control today, now I'm tempted to go for another drive. The manual I have does not have a section about the accessories, actually it even says that there should be two additional accessory outlets, one behind a seat and one by the battery. I didn't find either so it's probably the wrong manual. I've tried the link you sent me a few times but it only allows me to see the first five pages. Any other links?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

That is the official Jaguar site for product manuals. I have not had any problem with a down load.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had my 99 XJ8 for over 11-years. I accidently turned off the sport mode on the transmission a couple of times (the button to the right below the gear selector). I quickly corrected that error -- it just runs so much better in sport mode.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:11 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

The attached file (thanks to Jim Roal) is the most helpful treatise on installing Bluetooth phone adapters using the stock Jag wiring - it really works beautifully.. great phone sound at both ends - ppl can't tell I'm hands free in a car, even at 70 mph!

Also, near the end, is a description of adding an AUX in, for direct input to the stereo for iPods, Sirius/XM radio, etc.; and when combined with one of the current common Bluetooth phone adapters (like the Motorola T605) will also send streaming Bluetooth audio MP3 files from your cell phone, or other BT device to the stereo, which sounds awesome! I added a bit extra, a relay to allow selection between the AUX in and the CD changer... a pictorial description also attached below.

BTW, I also leave my button in Sport mode (LED on)... it just feels and drives better, mileage be damned.

Attached Thumbnails Considering 1999 XJ8, Need advice & Info-jag-cd-auxin-connections.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X308Bluetooth.pdf (977.3 KB, 1725 views)

Last edited by H20boy; 04-01-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: big pic
Old 05-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
The attached file (thanks to Jim Roal) is the most helpful treatise on installing Bluetooth phone adapters using the stock Jag wiring - it really works beautifully.. great phone sound at both ends - ppl can't tell I'm hands free in a car, even at 70 mph!

Also, near the end, is a description of adding an AUX in, for direct input to the stereo for iPods, Sirius/XM radio, etc.; and when combined with one of the current common Bluetooth phone adapters (like the Motorola T605) will also send streaming Bluetooth audio MP3 files from your cell phone, or other BT device to the stereo, which sounds awesome! I added a bit extra, a relay to allow selection between the AUX in and the CD changer... a pictorial description also attached below.

BTW, I also leave my button in Sport mode (LED on)... it just feels and drives better, mileage be damned.

Why can'g I read these pdf ? I have registered but the message I get is that I am not authorized to view this file......what gives ?

The following users liked this post:
dinty (01-01-2019)
Old 05-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

The two major issues with these cars pre-2001 are (1) the Nikasil cylinder bores, and (2) the exhaust cam chains tensioners, one per bank. Frankly the car is over 10 years old so if the Nikasil lining has not disappeared by now, it probably never will as the sulphur in the petrol has long gone. The cam-chain tensioners, however, need checking out, as they can (will !) wreck the engine if they fail. Apart from these two, everything else is mostly wear and tear. My local garage had a 98 XJ8 in recently for dent repair, and it was on around 140k miles and drove very, very, well. Body was in exceptional order, (apart from the dent, that is !)

dinty (01-01-2019)
Old 05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Hi, the accessory plugs are actually wires which are ready to accept a 12 plug to be connected to them. There is also one in the glove box. SARC has managed to hack into the one in the boot, and connect a cooler up to it, which is good. I aim to try a similar thing. Never have too many 12v plugs!

dinty (01-01-2019)
Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Swick, congrats on the purchase! I feel that $3750 is a pretty fair price given the age and mileage. I recently stopped at an independent dealer to look at a '98 XJ8 to find it had been sold for $2900 needing a transmission! I told him that I had just bought my '99 XJR with 83k miles for $4720 and he said I lucked out. Yeah right. The fact is that these cars in my region at this age and higher mileages are only fetching between $35-4500 in decent working order. Others with lower miles in excellent shape are demanding more like $65-8500. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Prices will vary by region of course. The dealer was asking $7200 originally and down to $6800 by the time I got to him. I don't know much about Jags but I know the XJR is a collectors car and the one I got was not pristine. I was ready to walk away and maybe should have. I did know I was going to have to do some nicknack work. But that can really add up on these cars quickly! Just shocks, sway-bar bushings, rear brakes, paint to touch up the small amount of clear coat peeling, drivers door latch assembly will push my cost of nicknacks close to 1G. That doesn't include future tires, front struts and alignment. BTY to get an extra key it cost me almost $60. Then an extra $116 just get it programmed! Frustrating indeed. But I love the car! Every new car has it's teething pains. I don't feel it's been a loss just yet. Perhaps by the time I'm done giving the car all the maintenance it has not received, I'll have invested what the car is actually worth in its then fine condition. Nothing lost, just not quite as good a buy as I originally thought. Such is life. Overall my car looks good and is a joy to drive. I hope yours is too! You probably did better than me. Now I have to look into this secondary chain issue! As the others say, Cheers

Old 11-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem as Magnetvision above..I cannot access the PDF's on the bluetooth inslallation. i just signed up for a membership today..is there a delay in my full activation?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Seems like a good price to me, Im selling my 99 XJ8 for $5300 obo. Super clean, no paintwork but like most said they big things are the tensioners and the tranny. You can check the tensioners yourself if you are so incline to spend a couple hours on a saturday. Its worth inspecting them at least cause then ya know. Im not sure what tell tale signs you can have with the tranny. My 99 has 127K on it and I bought it with 120 on it and it shifts perfect.

Good luck and welcome to Jagland.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 PM

I bought my '98 XJ8L with 147k on the clock...
The tranny was rebuilt by the Jag dealer north of here...who had this car for his momma....and then he did the timing chain and tensioners as well as the throttle body.
Like the man said, gas mileage is poor for me around town too, but on the road I'm getting over 34...makes for a nice change from that Suburban!

Quick Reply: Considering 1999 XJ8, Need advice & Info