Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look out for in a 2001 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
Default What to look out for in a 2001 XK8

I'm about to buy a 2001 XK8 with 49000 miles and was wondering if there are any specific problem areas to watch out for.
For example transmission issues or timing chain tensioners. Any advice would be welcome. Also, I recently saw a 2000 XK with 29000 miles but when it started, there was an initial puff of blue smoke. The salesman said it was just because the car had been sitting
but to me oil burning is the sign of valve issues. Was I right?
[align=right] [/align]

Old 01-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts
Default RE: What to look out for in a 2001 XK8

This type of question gets asked at least once every two weeks. You cannot get quick answers to questions like: " Is this a good buy?"

Use the Search Function using words like "buy, purchase, common problems, & upgrade" There are over a hundred threads you can sort through. Take some time and learn about these cars. I was on three (3) XK8 sites for over six (6) months before making the purchase.

They are not low maintenance vehicles, but still offer excellent value... IF you have done YOUR due diligence. Otherwise they will become a dealer-induced money pit faster than you can say "plastic water pump impeller".

Regarding the smoke... more likely a nikasil liner than a bad valve seat/guide. Good luck. gordo

The following users liked this post:
Virgo (03-23-2012)
Old 01-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I also did a lot of research before deciding to purchase a used Jaguar. I have owned American, Asian, and German vehicles but never a British car and I was concerned due to the past reputations regarding reliability and maintenance. After doing a bunch of research on sites like this and talking with a bunch of local independent mechanics, I came to the conclusion that these cars should be about as reliable as any other cars of similar vintage.

I would expect that if you were looking at other 2001 high end marques like Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, etc. you would find that these would be no less costly than maintaining a 2001 XK8. For that matter, my wife's 2000 Acura TL has had a couple of surprisingly expensive repairs that I had not expected for an Asian vehicle. Of course nothing has even come close to the expense and problems I had with a 1986 BMW that I owned for 9 years.

Doug

Virgo (03-23-2012)
Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Gordo,
I certainly would not expect a quick answer to a question like "Is this a good buy." Nor would I ask such a question. My question is related to a specific model and a specific year and I thought perhaps there were known problems regarding it. For example there are quite a few issues with 2000 models regarding transmissions and the plastic timing chain tensioners. As for due diligence, that's why I asked the question in the first place.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

I am not trying to flame you. If I just give you a list of things like plastic Thermostat housings... you are going to start asking about the specifics. Same if I mention wheel bearings, and/or control arm bushings. The lists of standard problems to expect are readily available in a bunch of threads if you use the search terms I identified.

These posts also discuss the different model years and when the factory upgraded to correct the problems. 2001 is a middle year. You may have 2nd generation plastic tensioners or might have 3rd gen steel tensioners. Trans are all the same till 2003, which is the benchmark year for upgrading problems and moving up to the 4.2 ltr engine. My point in suggesting you search out these posts is to identify the problems you might encounter, but also how serious they might be and how to upgrade and/or fix them.

Here is a sample of a quick search:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_33190/tm.htm

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_18202/tm.htm

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_22679/tm.htm

Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

can we have the moderator post a sticky thread about this? It seams to be asked often about the 97-2003 cars ..

as far as i know with the 2000, check the vin number. If the 12th digit is "A" then the engine does not have the nikisil issue and should be a ok car. All of them need to have the tensioners upgraded to the new metal standards. My 2000XKR used to blow a bit of oil every once in a while. When i got the tensioners replaced that seems to have stoped.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

ORIGINAL: GordoCatCar

I am not trying to flame you. If I just give you a list of things like plastic Thermostat housings... you are going to start asking about the specifics. Same if I mention wheel bearings, and/or control arm bushings. The lists of standard problems to expect are readily available in a bunch of threads if you use the search terms I identified.

These posts also discuss the different model years and when the factory upgraded to correct the problems. 2001 is a middle year. You may have 2nd generation plastic tensioners or might have 3rd gen steel tensioners. Trans are all the same till 2003, which is the benchmark year for upgrading problems and moving up to the 4.2 ltr engine. My point in suggesting you search out these posts is to identify the problems you might encounter, but also how serious they might be and how to upgrade and/or fix them.

Here is a sample of a quick search:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_33190/tm.htm

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_18202/tm.htm

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_22679/tm.htm

Hey, the third one is me[X(]

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Gordo's post offends me too...I've seen his legs once, that was enough. Otherwise, he was just trying to lead you to the complete set of answers to relevant questions without having to reissue a summary.

If someone has a 2000 engine with a number that precedes 00 08 18 XX XX, then he has an '00 model year car with a Nikasil lined engine block. I believe they all do, as do early '01: the VIN is not relevant.

Now I'm not being a smart *** either, but I bet I've typed that 50 times in the last two years. Like everybody else, sometimes I'm happy to show off, and sometimes it strikes me asfoolishly redundant. Sticky situation, yes?

Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member

Gordo,
Thanks for the links. They're a big help. When I started looking at XK8s, I did what I always did when I was buying 911 Porsches, (six total). I'd look for the lowest mileage in a price range regardless of model year. But from what I've been able to learn about XK8s, mileage is not as important as quality design. Between stories about transmission and engine failures, I moved off off anything 2000 and older. I am currently looking at an '01 with 49K and will have a mechanic check it out prior to purchase. I'm also talking to a local Jaguar about an extended warranty. By the way, I was interested in your comment about the plastic impeller in the water pumps. I have the same thing in my SeaRay Sundancer. The impeller in that gets replaced every year.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

Here's my list for the Sticky Thread:

[hr]Engine:
Tensioners, Secondary (with or w/o chains)
Tensioners, Primary (with or w/o chains)
Nikasil cylinder liners
Plastic Thermostat Housing Leaks at Filler Nec
Water Pump (early models) w/ Plastic Impellers
Throttle Body (Dirty or Damaged Electronics)

Suspension

Wheel Bearings - Excessive Wear on Early cars
Control Arm Rubber Bushings and Pivot Pins - Worn and/or Loose
Lower Ball Joints Worn (Less often also the Uppers)
Sway Bar Frame Mount Worn Rubber Bushings
Shock Absorber (Front) Lower Bushings Wear
ABS signal faults (Hardware or Software)

Body
Convertible Top Hoses Burst at Latch
Rear Sub Woofers Blowout
Misc Dash Squeaks at the Window Interface

[hr]
PS: JTO is jealous of me wearing shorts because it's been so cold in Ohio, he hasn't seen his own legs in three months ;-)

Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 AM

Gordo, very true, I haven'teven been able to feel my legs for two months.

I'd love to see a collective member review of extended warranty companies, so I would know which torecommend and honor without hesitation.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

ORIGINAL: JagtechOhio

Gordo, very true, I haven't enem been able to feel my legs for two months.

I'd love to see a collective member review of extended warranty companies, so I would know which torecommend and honor without hesitation.

Itmight be interesting, but a review from a consumer standpoint probably isn't entirely the same as a review from a professional repair shop viewpoint.

I've made it a point over the years to honor virtually any warranty company that will pay with a credit card. If I don't honor it, the shop down the street almost certainly will.

If you have lots of business you can afford to be selective, of course

Cheers
DD

Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 AM

Not quite sure how to take that first part, the second is good advice and the third is not an issue.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Gordo,
Good list! BTW, I just found this in depth piece about issues mainly 1997 up to 2000.
Some is XJ info but applies to XKs. Check out the link:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...=&t=195961

Old 01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Regarding legs and Ohio, the temperature here yesterday was
82F. We spent the day on the boat. Not sure but I don't think
we had a wind chill.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Not quite sure how to take that first part, the second is good advice and the third is not an issue.

Well, most consumers would concern themselves with just a couple things: is the repaired covered? Will they pay for a rental? If the answer to both is "yes" then that person would probably write a good review.

A repair shopmight consider: How fast do they pay me? Will then send a claims adjuster and if so, how soon? What labor time guide do they use? What hourly rate will they allow? How much parts markup will they allow? Will they force me to use aftermarket parts when I'd rather use OEM? That sort of thing.

Of course, some consumers might also be concerned with the sourcing of parts as well.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-05-2009, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the advice, I guess my naivete is part of the reason I'm not a rich man after 25 plus years ofrepairing Jaguars for a living. I'd prefer to think it has more to do with my honesty.

That's why the customer's perspective is of primary importance to me... I would not recommend a third party guarantor to a customer without independant reference. Obviously I'm not going to accept authroization and complete repairs without COD verification.

I warranty cars that I sell for one year, and it would be advantageous for me to buy the customer a reliable policy rather than to continue the risk of absorbing the cost myself. It's only been an issue on one occasion, but replacing a ZF transmissionat no chargeafter eleven months of use was a bitter pill. Seems alot more prudent to provide the policy for free, and get paid by the warranty company ifan expensive repair should be necessary. So the third party would have to be good as gold, and I can cite several anecdotes from posters who have had their paper written by alchemists.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice, I guess my naivete is part of the reason I'm not a rich man after 25 plus years ofrepairing Jaguars for a living. I'd prefer to think it has more to do with my honesty.

That's why the customer's perspective is of primary importance to me... I would not recommend a third party guarantor to a customer without independant reference. Obviously I'm not going to accept authroization and complete repairs without COD verification.

I warranty cars that I sell for one year, and it would be advantageous for me to buy the customer a reliable policy rather than to continue the risk of absorbing the cost myself. It's only been an issue on one occasion, but replacing a ZF transmissionat no chargeafter eleven months of use was a bitter pill. Seems alot more prudent to provide the policy for free, and get paid by the warranty company ifan expensive repair should be necessary. So the third party would have to be good as gold, and I can cite several anecdotes from posters who have had their paper written by alchemists.

Being able to sleep at night, and then able to lookat yourself in the mirror the next morning.....well....there's a lot to be said for those things.

There are underwriters out there who provide the sort of thing you are looking for-relatively short term protection (usually 6/6 or 12/12, powertrain only) that will protect both seller and buyer from unexpected heartache.

Some sellers set up a slush fund of money to cover repairs they have to "eat". A portion of profit from each sale goes into the fund. Less painful that way.

Anyway, I've taken this waaaay off topic and hijacked the thread. Sorry.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-05-2009, 02:32 PM

My request for another on the list of "sticky's" was not a diversion, and the subject of comprehensive warranty coverage speaks directly to the concerns of a prospective buyer like chazaroo.

Researcing the seller, service history and warranty...and finding areliable and experienced local mechanic...should yield better customer satisfaction then acquainting onesself with what islikelyto break next. Your guys should know that info, common fault areas should be addressed before the car is offered for sale,and unforseen failures should be freebies for a reasonable time span.Example ( in opinion): anybody who sells a V8 jaguar without updated secondary timing chain tensioners doesn't know and/or doesn't care about the buyer's interests.

The best thing about this thread is that now I know what in hell a Skimobile is.

Ibflyer01 (11-06-2013)
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

JagtechOhio,

I have read a number of different views on the topic of were the cutoff is on the nikasil engine.

some of which are
this one says its a 5vs6 digit thing
this one says it from vin#42776
this is a interesting article with info on vins.

what is the true anwser? but most of what i have read all say its year 2000 that they changed.

i am not doubting your considerable experience, just stating what i have read different places.
At least i am hoping.... i have a vin that starts with A.

Quick Reply: What to look out for in a 2001 XK8