XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

I thought I bought a good car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I thought I bought a good car!!!!

When I bought my 2004 XJ8 with 4.2 engine, I thought I am buying a car with history, an "old" model with no problems. A didn't choose the XJR because of more possibility of failures of compressor, higher performance, etc. Just the big 4.2 V8 that can not have any problems....

I drive the car since September.... I've been to service each month!! The computer has already shown me all possible warning messages. Most of the visits to the service were small problems of oil leaking or parkbreak failure. All of them was solved in 1-2 hours...

But now I have the AIR SUSPENSION problem, that they can not solve. In cold weather the car lowers itself as much as possible and nobody knows why... OK! As I am waiting for the service to find out something when my car yesterday said: "RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE"
I cannot rev it over 3,000rpm...

Holy ****! I cannot leave the garage in cold weather because of the Air Suspension, and evenif I leave it I cannot rev it over 3,000!!!

I am thinking of moving back to my old Volkswagen Passat TDI!!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: I thought I bought a good car!!!!

Sorry to read your story, most of us have days when we feel your pain and can't feel too proud about it.

I'm guessing that there are not many technicians in Hungary who are experienced with diagnosing and repairing 2004 XJ8 cars, perhaps I am assuming too much. I am an independant technician in the U.S., somy experience with earliermodels won't be of help to you. Efficient diagnosis comes from familiarity and knowledge of failure tendencies of specific models...most X350 cars in my area are still dealer-serviced. Often times owners in the U.S wish they had moreoptions at their disposal too.

Surely your car can be properly repaired, you may have to search in your surrounding area to find atechnician more capable. I think that holds true for many owners,no mattertheir home country.

If you can find an honest repairerthat will work on your behalf, perhaps sharing his test results and findings on the forum will get you some more answers. There are other techs here who have likely solved your problems before for other owners, and specific information shared about your car might enable them to provide more specific suggestions.

Jaguars are many things rolled into one nice package..."user-friendly", when it comes to problems with sophisticated systems, is not included. Best wishes.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The system is complex and without a dealer with training, it may be hard to find the fault. Get a subsctription to Alldata.com for the car so you can read up on the procedures for analysis and repairand know what is going on. This information willassist you to hopefully orchestrate a repair and maybe get out of your funk. There is a technical service bulletin for the repair of the system for this fault. It is time consuming but thorough.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:21 PM

Hey Mots, did you get the bulletin through Alldata, or some other resource? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

It's on Alldata, TSB XJ 204 1 03/05. It's a full diagnostic but it requires the Jag PDU.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Tip o' the cap to you.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: JagtechOhio

I'm guessing that there are not many technicians in Hungary who are experienced with diagnosing and repairing 2004 XJ8 cars, perhaps I am assuming too much.

Surely your car can be properly repaired, you may have to search in your surrounding area to find atechnician more capable. I think that holds true for many owners,no mattertheir home country.

Jaguars are many things rolled into one nice package..."user-friendly", when it comes to problems with sophisticated systems, is not included. Best wishes.
Thanks for your words. My problem is that the official Jaguar dealer is the one, who could not solve my problem. I've spent half a day at the official Jaguar dealer service. The pumped the air suspension => no leaks. Tested the kompressor => ok, checked everything => everything is ok. BUT the car still lowers itself in coldand the dealer said they do not know what the problem is... Andjust for an extra, the car put itself into "RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE" mode, so it's not revving over 3,000rpm...You can imagine how much I enjoy driving myJaguar these days....[sm=icon_flaming.gif][sm=icon_rtfm.gif][sm=imsmilin.gif]

I am going to visit an official dealer in Austria in the next two weeks-> Wien is about 220 km from here... It's not a big distance. But whenI have to stop every 10-15 km to give some time to the air suspension to lift the car... I just can't wait....

Old 01-14-2009, 09:52 PM

Great job Pavel!!!

And I laughed out loud at the pyrotechnists. I guess that's a more polite way of saying "flaming idiot".

Szia from the U.S.
(I don't know what that means, I hope it's good)

Andrew

Old 01-15-2009, 01:10 AM

Sziasztok!

Szia means Hi in hungarian, "sziasztok" means "hi everybody"!

PAVEL seem that you are the one I was looking for!!! I'll do these steps as by the end of this week, because seems like we have the same problems...

Yes for me it is the same. I have these problems in cold weather, now we have under 0 Celsius during night and day for at least two weeks. My car is parked in a garage, and not problem with the lifting at all. But when driving in the cold and when parked in the freezing cold for a few hours, the car becomes a nightmare!!!

I'll come back to you by the end of this week! In case this works, you aremy guest in Budapest for anything: Dinner, lunch,palinka,ladies.... )))

Have a great day and thank you!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

If you have no leaks and the compressor is good, you might look at the valve block and pressure tank under the spare tire. Check the connections to the module in the spare tire area. It is possible that ice forming in the valveblock in very low temps is blocking the solenoid valves open and lowering the car. Apply heat with a hair dryer or similar to the valve block when this happens and see if the level is restored. Keep in mind that the compressorcan introduce water vapor into the system during operation and ice may form in sensitive areas.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:49 PM

Sziasztok!!!

I've uploaded some pictures of my Jaguar to a forums, so I can share it easier with you.

http://myxj8.blogspot.com/

I've just changed breaks (feels and sounds much better now)
I've covered the compressor with warm "covers" and gone to a 200km trip. It did not loose pressure. Hope it works, but I'll have to try it in freezing cold to be sure, as it was 0 Celsius during the trip.

I've replaced the batteryas well, but seems like it stored the "RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE" sign, because when I start the engine it start with restricted performance, but when I start it disappears and does not come back till the next start. I'll visit the deaker to be sure about what the problem was...

So I started loving my Jaguar again. Hope these problems will not appear again and I do not have to be angry of my car again...

Thanks for the ideas and tips to all of you!

Pavel do not forget to call me when coming to Budapest!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Great news about the suspension...maybe an electric heating pad for those of us in cold weather is the best way to keep the compressor happy overnight.

A question for anyone reading this who is familiar with the system...is there any sort ofmoisture trap installed? Even my shop air compressor will freeze an air hose shut in this weaather, and that hose I.D. is alot larger (I assume). If not, maybe the addition ofa trap to collect the waterwould help prevent the problem.

What say you, Motts or Pavel?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

I wonder if it is feasible and safe to introduce a little alcohol or even diesel truck brake line anti-freeze into the air suspension system?

Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hey I have the same problem on my 04 xjr, the car is not garaged and every morning the frond end is low and I start it and the front end stays low and a message, VEHICLE TOO LOW, and AIR SUSPENSION FAULT, I drive the car to work about 2 miles and park it with front end still low not to mentione the rough ride, then start the car couple hours later and as it warms up 4 or 5 minutes, the front rises and the messages disappear. NOW HERE IS THE BIG QUESTION. this started as it got colder about a month ago, I live in Ohio, now I drive the car to work then 2 hours later drive back home and the vehicle front end is low all that time with rough ride and messages. ANY IDEAS IN ADDITION TO WRAPPING THE VALVE BLOCK WITH LEATHER.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

the low ride is a common issue, especially among mercedes with air ride suspension.

its just an issue of the cold weather, as stated above.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

tanios, take a read on this, if you haven't already seen it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...degrees-87077/

Quick Reply: I thought I bought a good car!!!!