XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

car wash question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wash question

I just purchased a low mileage '08 XK. Curious to get some feedback on whether or not to run it through an automatic car wash.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Sure, as long as you don't mind damage. Touchless washes don't clean and the spinny-swirly kind cause all kinds of marks. There was even a guy somewhere who took his Aluminum F150 through a spinny wash.... it tore off his radio antenna and beat his truck with it. Something like $3000 damage. Of course the wash place has all the signs "Not Responsible for Damage".

Old 01-17-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I take my 2012 to the touchless car wash once a month during the summer driving days. If it gets rained on or slightly dirty I use a waterless car wash that I got from a detail guy. Usually my car is not to dirty. I can't wash by hand as my water is hard and the softener leaves spots. By the way my dealer has a bruch type car wash and they haven't caused any damage.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
The following users liked this post:
claydon59 (02-06-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by ghallett
I just purchased a low mileage '08 XK. Curious to get some feedback on whether or not to run it through an automatic car wash.
ghallett:

I highly suggest NOT to use any car wash. You own a pristine automobile that deserves pristine personal attention washing and detailing your Jaguar.

I suggest you do the following to maintain and have one of the best-looking cars around in your area. This takes work and is a proven success.

I have completed my method below on all of my 5 vehicles. I own several Premium sports cars and a Luxury Sedan in addition to my 2014 Ford F-150 and 2017 Kia Sportage EX, which get the same detailing treatment.

I will answer any questions you might have.

The following 3 users liked this post by richzak:
kj07xk (01-18-2017), Sean W (01-18-2017), Simon Tan (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You have a nice 9 year old used car. Why get **** about it. Take it to the car wash or find a local guy that comes to you and hand washes.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:04 AM
Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts

Many thanks for the detailed write-up, Rich! I was planning on having a ceramic coating professionally done, but I'm encouraged to try it on my own now. Do you do anything differently for wheels, or is it the same process as for the painted surfaces? I have the factory polished wheels that came with the Portfolio package if that matters.

Also, the local detailer I was talking to offered different packages based on number of coats of the ceramic. If doing multiple coats, do you just let each coat cure then reapply?

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by richzak
ghallett:

I highly suggest NOT to use any car wash. You own a pristine automobile that deserves pristine personal attention washing and detailing your Jaguar.

I suggest you do the following to maintain and have one of the best-looking cars around in your area. This takes work and is a proven success.

I have completed my method below on all of my 5 vehicles. I own several Premium sports cars and a Luxury Sedan in addition to my 2014 Ford F-150 and 2017 Kia Sportage EX, which get the same detailing treatment.

I will answer any questions you might have.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 01-18-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

My cars will never see an automatic car wash. I don't even like the dealer to wash my car...

Old 01-18-2017, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Once again this is a personal choice issue. It's just a question of what your priorities are . Some like to use them as a DD , some as a week end cruiser , some just to look at them in the garage and some like to wash and wax them . It all depends on what you like and if you have the time to detail the car or have someone do it for you. I don't inspect every nice car I see and don't have a problem with car washes. You need to make your own decision . After putting 30K miles over 14 years on my old Ferrari I realized I lost a lot of drive time. So this car is different for me and I enjoy driving it more . I'm also in the red zone so you don't know when the garage door will close. The net is do what you want and enjoy the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Sean W (01-18-2017), sharx8 (01-20-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

There is no "one size fits all" answer to your question. The right answer for you depends on the factors that are important to you and their priority.

There are 2 extremes, separated by a wide range of conditions. At one extreme, is the car that is always garaged with paint in show quality condition, and you want to maintain it as such. In that case, never use any type of automatic car wash. At the other extreme, is the car that is driven daily with paint that has seen the ravages of time (stone chips, scratches, dings etc.) and weather (tree sap, bird poop, parked outdoors, etc.) but you still want it to be presentable. In that case, since the damage has already been done, IMHO any automatic car wash would be fine.

Richzak's advice is spot-on to keep the paint like new. However, because he's retired with no grandkids, he now has the time to do all the work himself, which he enjoys. He also lives in the New Mexico desert, which rarely has inclement weather. Others might not be as fortunate or motivated.

Try hand washing your car in the winter when the temperature is below freezing. No thanks, I'll take it to the automatic cloth-only car wash when it reopens. Leaving road salt, cinders, mud and grime on your car will do more damage than taking it through an automatic car wash.

So, depending on your situation and priorities, an automatic car wash can be either a disaster or a the best thing since sliced bread. Situations vary; your car, your decision.

P.S.

I didn't see jagtoes' reply, since I was writing mine. Basically, he said what I said, just in fewer words.

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-18-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following users liked this post:
sharx8 (01-20-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Try hand washing your car in the winter when the temperature is below freezing.
I'll wash my car as long as it is above 37 F, I wash my cars once a week. Driveway was iced over earlier this week after my wash... My wonderful Jaguar dealer had my car for almost 4 days and delivered it without windshield washer fluid and unwashed... Had to do both steps myself...

I get better service from a Honda dealer than Jaguar.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
Many thanks for the detailed write-up, Rich! I was planning on having a ceramic coating professionally done, but I'm encouraged to try it on my own now. Do you do anything differently for wheels, or is it the same process as for the painted surfaces? I have the factory polished wheels that came with the Portfolio package if that matters.

Also, the local detailer I was talking to offered different packages based on number of coats of the ceramic. If doing multiple coats, do you just let each coat cure then reapply?

Thanks again.
Simon Tan:

Yes, you can use the ceramic paint coating on the wheels. The washing and prep of the wheels is the same as the paint. If you have no problem spending an additonal amount ($49.99), you can buy the Pinnacle Black Diamond Wheel Coating.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating

As for the ceramic paint coating, there is no need for multiple coats if you apply the first coat as directed in my attachment. Thus, no need to pay a professional for multiple coats.

One bottle of the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating will do about 5 to 6 cars.

See this video: (about 8 minutes)

The key to a successful finish is the prep work.

While this entire process takes about 7 hours, it can be done over 2 days. First hand wash with the Dawn soap and use the Eagle One Polymer Wash Glove to remove the surface contaminants so the paint surface is clean and becomes very smooth and slick, and prep polish the first day. Cover the car in a garage, then come back on Day 2 and apply the ceramic paint coating.

I will guarantee the finish will be superior in smoothness, slickness, and hydrophobic beading. The shine and reflective qualities are fantastic.

Washing the car in the future with a spot free car wash like Duragloss 901 will be extremely easy. The ceramic paint coating will last up to 2 years plus. Once the car is ceramic coated, you will no longer use the Dawn soap to wash the car. Buy the Duraglass 901.

https://www.amazon.com/Duragloss-901...=duragloss+901

While many car owners will not take the time to complete the ceramic paint coating, they are missing out on a high-quality finish and paint protection. Using car wax is old school, and not necessary with these new coating products like polymer paint sealants or ceramic paint coatings.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-One-850...face+prep+mitt

See this thread, post #47.

Keep in mind what you spend buying the products I have suggested will be small compared to what a professional detailer will charge. In addition, you will have enough product left to complete mulitple vehicles.

Ask any additional questions.

This process is not about being retired and having time on your hands. The process is about keeping your beautiful Jaguar or any other high quality vehicle in top shape and appearence. The end result is amazing and you will get a tremendous amount of self satisfcation after completing the DIY detailing project. Also as Stuart S stated, I enjoy doing this work. All of my vehicles and sports cars are kept in top shape and better than showroom appearance. My cars are my passion.

Happy detailing.

The following 5 users liked this post by richzak:
kj07xk (01-18-2017), ralphwg (01-18-2017), Sean W (01-18-2017), sharx8 (01-20-2017), Simon Tan (01-19-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

My 2007 XK has 100,400 miles on it...and it goes through a car wash once a month. No damage and it looks just fine.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123
My 2007 XK has 100,400 miles on it...and it goes through a car wash once a month. No damage and it looks just fine.
michaelodonnell123:

My bet would be with 100,400 miles and subject to going thru a car wash, the paint surface is rough and has lots of contaminants embedded into the paint surface.

While your Jaguar may look good to you, you can make it look like a show car with an outstanding finish, shine and reflective qualities for a very small amount of money ($125.00).

Try the sandwich baggie test. Place a "sandwich baggie" over your hand and run it across the hood, rear trunk deck, side panels. If it feels rough and like sandpaper, your paint surface needs correction.

It will take a little work and effort to make your Jaguar look outstanding, should you have that rough sandpaper like paint surface.

My bet, it has the sandpaper finish.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, they are soooo delicate with your vehicles;
Drive-Through Carwash Causes $6,000 in Damage on New Ford F-150

Old 01-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like a driver error issue. Kind of like buying a used car "as is". I take all of my cars and truck to touch less washes and have no problem but then again buyer beware.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
michaelodonnell123:

My bet would be with 100,400 miles and subject to going thru a car wash, the paint surface is rough and has lots of contaminants embedded into the paint surface.

While your Jaguar may look good to you, you can make it look like a show car with an outstanding finish, shine and reflective qualities for a very small amount of money ($125.00).

Try the sandwich baggie test. Place a "sandwich baggie" over your hand and run it across the hood, rear trunk deck, side panels. If it feels rough and like sandpaper, your paint surface needs correction.

It will take a little work and effort to make your Jaguar look outstanding, should you have that rough sandpaper like paint surface.

My bet, it has the sandpaper finish.

The other option is to take it to a detailer and pay the freight , maybe $500 for a fairly good job.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

NEVER! I've learned from previous cars of the devastation cars take from the automatic washes. Our cars are even more vulnerable. Unless you do not care about some incidental scratches and lower abrasive damage....go for it. My XK has never seen a car wash, as well as my previous G35 Coupe. Any other car I have had that went through these brutal car washes show the damage. The paint on today's cars are way too vulnerable. Older cars might have taken it years ago, but now with age are also vulnerable. Car washes are only good for 3 year old leased cars which are usually of no concern to the leasees.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:38 PM
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Definitely no! You will get swirl marks like crazy!

My wash routine takes 10-15 minutes and looks like this:
1) Rinse the dust off with a pressure washer set to a wide spray. 1 minute.
2) Douse with car soap using a "foam cannon" attachment to the pressure washer. 1 minute.
3) Wait a few minutes, say 2 minutes
4) Rinse with the pressure washer. 1 minute.
5) If really dirty, soap again, and gently wash with pristine microfiber rags* 5 minutes
6) Rinse with the pressure washer. 1 minute.
7) Switch the water supply over to the deionizer, and rinse some more. 1 minute
8) Blow off the excess water with the leaf blower. 1 minute.
9) Optionally towel dry the door jambs, etc. where the blower cannot reach. 2 minutes.

I did a "paint perfection" almost two years ago, I think, and even now I have vanishingly few swirls anywhere, and any defects are so small as to be really difficult to find even if you are looking for then. I have not machine polished since that original paint perfection polish, and I credit this very VERY touchless wash technique.

The following 2 users liked this post by j.w.s:
AVMiii (01-24-2017), JaxR. (09-23-2018)
Old 01-20-2017, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by j.w.s
Definitely no! You will get swirl marks like crazy!

My wash routine takes 10-15 minutes and looks like this:
1) Rinse the dust off with a pressure washer set to a wide spray. 1 minute.
2) Douse with car soap using a "foam cannon" attachment to the pressure washer. 1 minute.
3) Wait a few minutes, say 2 minutes
4) Rinse with the pressure washer. 1 minute.
5) If really dirty, soap again, and gently wash with pristine microfiber rags* 5 minutes
6) Rinse with the pressure washer. 1 minute.
7) Switch the water supply over to the deionizer, and rinse some more. 1 minute
8) Blow off the excess water with the leaf blower. 1 minute.
9) Optionally towel dry the door jambs, etc. where the blower cannot reach. 2 minutes.

I did a "paint perfection" almost two years ago, I think, and even now I have vanishingly few swirls anywhere, and any defects are so small as to be really difficult to find even if you are looking for then. I have not machine polished since that original paint perfection polish, and I credit this very VERY touchless wash technique.
I assume the key is the deionizer which all don't have or won't work with their water. For those out there with well water with high mineral content and salt water conditioning system it's not practical. Even going to the self service bay and just spraying with spot free spray works pretty good.