Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar F type reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 07:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jaguar F type reliability?

Story for my question:
I currently have a 2009 Mazda Miata I brought it with 60k mileage on it and... it turns out to be a lemon (no lemon laws in Texas.) The previous owner raced the crap outta that Miata.
Anyway I'm a bit iffy on used cars now, going to get stationed at Ft Meade, Maryland in March.

My question is I'm looking towards buying a lightly used Jaguar F type just for someone else to take the depreciation hit.

How reliable can a F type be with less than 10k mileage on it? (2014-2016)
Given the car itself I'm assuming people often push the car to it's limit.

EX:
2016 Jaguar F-TYPE Base - $55,888
Mileage: 7,784 miles

Old 01-21-2017, 07:43 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

2014 V8S, 18k miles. Owned since new, not a single issue.

Read many stories on here of people with lots of issues, think it's going to be luck of the draw.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Reigon Li
Story for my question:
I currently have a 2009 Mazda Miata I brought it with 60k mileage on it and... it turns out to be a lemon (no lemon laws in Texas.) The previous owner raced the crap outta that Miata.
Anyway I'm a bit iffy on used cars now, going to get stationed at Ft Meade, Maryland in March.

My question is I'm looking towards buying a lightly used Jaguar F type just for someone else to take the depreciation hit.

How reliable can a F type be with less than 10k mileage on it? (2014-2016)
Given the car itself I'm assuming people often push the car to it's limit.

EX:
2016 Jaguar F-TYPE Base - $55,888
Mileage: 7,784 miles
Originally Posted by ek993
2014 V8S, 18k miles. Owned since new, not a single issue.

Read many stories on here of people with lots of issues, think it's going to be luck of the draw.
How do you drive your car? I'm assuming you take care of her right?
I'm really sketched out on buying a car given the fact that people who buy the F type tend to do some wild crap

Old 01-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

How do you drive your car? I'm assuming you take care of her right?
I'm really sketched out on buying a car given the fact that people who buy the F type tend to do some wild crap
Daily driver to work - only time it stays in the garage is when there is snow / salt on the ground. Treat t it with a lot of mechanical sympathy, always make sure it's fully warmed up before getting into higher rev ranges. Serviced every 12 months regardless of mileage. It's not my first high performance car so I treat it with respect and don't beat the crap out of it.

Last edited by ek993; 01-21-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I've had 5 jags now, and save for some first year issues with the first XF they have been very much trouble free. The only one I bought used was an XKR which was 2 1/2 years old and had about 25000 miles on it when I bought it. Save for an adaptive lamp error light coming on, it as zero issues in the 2 years/ 15000 miles I owned it.

I was looking for a used F Type which would have come in maybe 20% cheaper than new, but there wasnt any in the colour I wanted. The other advantage to used is that someone else breaks in the seat which is quite uncomfortable when they are new. In the end I got a demo. with about 800 miles on it (nearly all of which seemed to accumulate between when I looked at it on a Wednesday and when I took delivery the following Tuesday). It has also been trouble free, with 5500 miles on it in 8 months.

I dont think I would beat up the 6 as much as I might the 8. The character of the car is a lot different, as it doesnt have the oodles and oodles of power of the 8 that made me a bit power crazy (and tail happy) in the XKR. That's just me, though.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by ek993
Daily driver to work - only time it stays in the garage is when there is snow / salt on the ground. Treat t it with a lot of mechanical sympathy, always make sure it's fully warmed up before getting into higher rev ranges. Serviced every 12 months regardless of mileage. It's not my first high performance car so I treat it with respect and don't beat the crap out of it.
Oh would the F type be able to handle the snow? If I was to get it it would be my daily driver and I'd travel from Maryland to NYC monthly.
I did read some other posts that said snow mode and snow tires should be fine but I've never had any personal experience with the snow.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I've had 5 jags now, and save for some first year issues with the first XF they have been very much trouble free. The only one I bought used was an XKR which was 2 1/2 years old and had about 25000 miles on it when I bought it. Save for an adaptive lamp error light coming on, it as zero issues in the 2 years/ 15000 miles I owned it.

I was looking for a used F Type which would have come in maybe 20% cheaper than new, but there wasnt any in the colour I wanted. The other advantage to used is that someone else breaks in the seat which is quite uncomfortable when they are new. In the end I got a demo. with about 800 miles on it (nearly all of which seemed to accumulate between when I looked at it on a Wednesday and when I took delivery the following Tuesday). It has also been trouble free, with 5500 miles on it in 8 months.

I dont think I would beat up the 6 as much as I might the 8. The character of the car is a lot different, as it doesnt have the oodles and oodles of power of the 8 that made me a bit power crazy (and tail happy) in the XKR. That's just me, though.
Nice! I'm just very sketched out about buying used sports cars now because of my experience. The highest mileage for an used F Type would be 10,000 for me (Base maybe premium.) If someone raced the F Type daily in that 10,000 miles do you think it would have any issues?

Old 01-21-2017, 08:47 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Not sure of your thought process....if one were to lay out $100,000 for a car....drive the snot out of it for 10,000 m and trade it in at a $30+/- loss, all but destroying it in the process so it would be folly to buy it....
Look at the forum...a handful of owners drag or track the car...vast majority treat them with great care as a work of art .
In the US I believe the warranty is 4-5 years....my 2cents....buy it, enjoy it, you will thank yourself every time you drive, wash, polish, park, drag, track, cars and coffee it....and you will pause and look back at it and smile each time as well.
Trust me, I slept at a Holiday Inn once

The following users liked this post:
BostonKiller (01-22-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Awd
Not sure of your thought process....if one were to lay out $100,000 for a car....drive the snot out of it for 10,000 m and trade it in at a $30+/- loss, all but destroying it in the process so it would be folly to buy it....
Look at the forum...a handful of owners drag or track the car...vast majority treat them with great care as a work of art .
In the US I believe the warranty is 4-5 years....my 2cents....buy it, enjoy it, you will thank yourself every time you drive, wash, polish, park, drag, track, cars and coffee it....and you will pause and look back at it and smile each time as well.
Trust me, I slept at a Holiday Inn once
I'm looking towards getting one for half that price.

My thought process is I've had a negative experience buying an used car. 2009 Mazda Miata Grandtouring, it had 60k milage on it, I brought it for 9,000. Put in 2,500 to fix it and now it's going to cost 4500 to fix it (long story), not worth fixing.

The mechanic told me the previous owner most likely raced the crap outta the Miata.

It seems people on this forum really do take care of their car but my issue is the people who don't. Young 18-20 year olds who just abuse the crap outta the car. I wouldn't want to buy a car from those people. That's why I'm so pessimistic about buying a used F type.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

there aren't alot of 18-20 year olds driving F types.....and most owners aren't beating the crap outta them.

These cars aren't camaros, mustangs or miatas and are generally purchased by a more mature driver; MOST of which take care of them.....

I'd have no problem buying a used F type....in fact I did. zero issues so far.

Dave

Old 01-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I'm looking towards getting one for half that price.

My thought process is I've had a negative experience buying an used car. 2009 Mazda Miata Grandtouring, it had 60k milage on it, I brought it for 9,000. Put in 2,500 to fix it and now it's going to cost 4500 to fix it (long story), not worth fixing.

The mechanic told me the previous owner most likely raced the crap outta the Miata.

It seems people on this forum really do take care of their car but my issue is the people who don't. Young 18-20 year olds who just abuse the crap outta the car. I wouldn't want to buy a car from those people. That's why I'm so pessimistic about buying a used F type.
I think you have answered your own question - "Young 18-20 year olds who just abuse the crap outta the car". I'd say there might be one maybe two F-Types in the whole of North America that fall into this category, I have no idea where you get the idea that F-Types are commonly abused, they are in a completely different class to the Miata. About the only similarities are they are both 2 door "sports" cars that put a smile on your face to drive them. Even then, I suspect that only a small percentage of Miatas have been abused by 18-20 year olds, and just because the one you bought possibly was doesn't mean it's common or normal. To sum up, your experience with one used Miata is completely irrelevant to what you can expect from a used F-Type.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
there aren't alot of 18-20 year olds driving F types.....and most owners aren't beating the crap outta them.

These cars aren't camaros, mustangs or miatas and are generally purchased by a more mature driver; MOST of which take care of them.....

I'd have no problem buying a used F type....in fact I did. zero issues so far.

Dave
I really didn't think anyone who buys a Miata is going to abuse it, given how low the HP is. I just have a very negative view on buying used cars without any knowledge on who the previous owner is and how they treated the car.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...459_isFeatured

I was looking at this (or any like it), I shouldn't have any major issues that'll cost a couple grand right?

Old 01-21-2017, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I think you have answered your own question - "Young 18-20 year olds who just abuse the crap outta the car". I'd say there might be one maybe two F-Types in the whole of North America that fall into this category, I have no idea where you get the idea that F-Types are commonly abused, they are in a completely different class to the Miata. About the only similarities are they are both 2 door "sports" cars that put a smile on your face to drive them. Even then, I suspect that only a small percentage of Miatas have been abused by 18-20 year olds, and just because the one you bought possibly was doesn't mean it's common or normal. To sum up, your experience with one used Miata is completely irrelevant to what you can expect from a used F-Type.
That's great to hear, I'm just very sketched out about buying used sports cars in general.
I almost got into an accident twice because of the used Miata, the engine just stopped functioning twice on the highway :/ (I'm lucky the area I'm in right now is somewhat rural, if that happened to me in NYC where I'm from it would've been extremely dangerous.
It has given me a very opinionated view on used cars.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:54 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Before buying any used car get an independent inspection...with an FType it will still have warranty left as further "insurance"
Don't buy a used car...or any car...if every time you drive it you listen for any bad noise or wait for some disaster to befall you.
My quess is almost all of us on this forum are delighted with our cars.....but I'm sure there are some, somewhere who are not.
If you can't trust used...buy new.
I just looked at your profile which showed you to be 19.... are you a drive it to rat **** 19.. or a drive it to enjoy its magnificence 19 ? You alone know.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:56 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Does the 2016 have a 4 or 5 year warranty? (Mine has 4, about the expire, but I think they bumped it up.)

While the F-type is a competent track car (I've tracked mine twice), someone serious about track time would likely look elsewhere, IMO.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Does the 2016 have a 4 or 5 year warranty? (Mine has 4, about the expire, but I think they bumped it up.)

While the F-type is a competent track car (I've tracked mine twice), someone serious about track time would likely look elsewhere, IMO.
I believe 2016 and above have a 5 year warranty, I'm most likely just going to use it to commute to work and drive 250 miles to and back from NYC.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Nice! I'm just very sketched out about buying used sports cars now because of my experience. The highest mileage for an used F Type would be 10,000 for me (Base maybe premium.) If someone raced the F Type daily in that 10,000 miles do you think it would have any issues?
Yes, I think any car raced daily for 10,000 miles would be likely to show plenty of wear. But a decent inspection would be likely to show whether there was that kind of use.

The following users liked this post:
Reigon Li (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 04:04 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Mine doesn't get flogged but I drive it in a spirited fashion as I'm sure a lot of us do, it's hard not to, they are a lot of fun.

Mine is now 3 years old and I have had a couple of minor niggles quickly and easily fixed but it has been a very reliable and trouble free car so far.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I believe 2016 and above have a 5 year warranty, I'm most likely just going to use it to commute to work and drive 250 miles to and back from NYC.
I'd sidestep the awd if you are driving in weather year round.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Yes, I think any car raced daily for 10,000 miles would be likely to show plenty of wear. But a decent inspection would be likely to show whether there was that kind of use.
Okay I'll look into it thank you! I just had bad luck previously I guess.