XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

What coolant type to use

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What coolant type to use

Just got a new used engine installed and flushed with water.engine had a coolant with a green tint.just wondering if I can use green conventional antifreeze since the system is clean.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

If it is fully flushed then yes. But i'd still go with dexcool since that is the oem coolant.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by omgimali
If it is fully flushed then yes. But i'd still go with dexcool since that is the oem coolant.
I read up on different antifreeze used and it all depends on the vin.I looked at the charts and my vin falls under conventional green.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jrp79:
Don B (02-19-2017), omgimali (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrp79
I read up on different antifreeze used and it all depends on the vin.I looked at the charts and my vin falls under conventional green.
Yes, you are correct there, not every car had Dexcool, and I am still not sure the elder cars can handle it.

I actually had the bottles of Dexcool standing in my room, and the system thoroughly flushed, when I changed my mind.
Not about Dexcool itself, but about the seals and stuff not suitable to handle it.
I was just not sure, so finally filled it with 'the green stuff'.

I attach the best of the info I collected.

Attached Thumbnails What coolant type to use-jaguar-x308-engine-coolant-types.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
Don B (02-19-2017), omgimali (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 296 Posts

The coolant was superseded -- it changed twice and settled on the red/orange .. you can't use color as the guide for coolant.

Jaguar sells the oversized container (5L) with enough full strength for the car -- mix with distilled water.. good for many years .. no worries .. correct additive pac.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by omgimali
zerex g05 is what I think ill go with as its recommended for my car

Old 02-19-2017, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

zerex g05 is what I think ill go with as its recommended for my car
Say Say Who?

The correct coolant is the final part. Jaguar had a blue coolant and then yellow.

They changed it for a reason .... use the correct fluid!

When Jaguar changed my water pump in my 98 -- they flushed the system and installed the red/orange fluid. GO5 is the old MB Coolant.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Say Say Who?

The correct coolant is the final part. Jaguar had a blue coolant and then yellow.

They changed it for a reason .... use the correct fluid!

When Jaguar changed my water pump in my 98 -- they flushed the system and installed the red/orange fluid. GO5 is the old MB Coolant.
okay now im getting different colors.according to the spec sheet I saw it said yellow was my color.
im all confused about this.since its flushed cant I go with the g05 as its easy on aluminum and factory gaskets used? I read the dexcool with eat the gaskets used for my 98

Old 02-19-2017, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

You can't buy coolant based on color. You can use a particular manufacturers color to determine if you have that coolant in your car.

So you had green in your car -- it was green and not yellow? If it was green -- you don't have factory fluid. Someone changed it out. Factory fluid for a 98 X308 would have been yellow. They used a blue in some early 98 XK8's.

The later red/orange is a longer life coolant. The danger with using the latest coolant is it's not compatible with earlier coolant -- so all traces of the fluid must be flushed.

I'm including a TSB .. I can't find the later one that describes the flushing procedure to install the red/orange coolant specification.

If you can do a full flush -- the latest fluid can be used. Otherwise -- use something compatible with the older fluids. I'm going to stand corrected and go with your Zerex. I would still try and get out as much of the old as you can and fill with new and distilled water.

In warm weather -- filling with distilled water only and running for a bit is a good way clean out after flushing. Dump in a gallon of D water .... run -- dump .. fill with another gallon .. run ... dump. Fill with proper amount of full strength coolant .. top up with D water.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

You can't buy coolant based on color.
So you had green in your car -- it was green and not yellow? If it was green -- you don't have factory fluid.
I do agree with you that you can't buy coolant based on color.
To make it more complicated, I have read stories where the coolant looks green in the expansion tank, but has a different color if you take it out ...

Then, green WAS a factory color for the early XJ8's, but refer to the specs for what it actually was .
I still run 'green' in a tropical climate, flushed the whole system last year with a chemical flush, and it came out rather clean.
The old waterpump impellers (black) came out like new while I changed the wp as a precaution.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 PM

use something compatible with the older fluids. I'm going to stand corrected and go with your Zerex.
can zerex be mixed with green..just curious.
I have 6 gallons of distilled water so im gonna flush till it all comes out clear and flush again and use zerex g05.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:06 PM
Received 12,731 Likes on 6,376 Posts

can zerex be mixed with green..just curious.
I have 6 gallons of distilled water so im gonna flush till it all comes out clear and flush again and use zerex g05.
Hi Jrp79,

The short answer is no, Zerex G-05 and traditional green coolant should not be mixed, regardless of what the Zerex bottle may say.

The corrosion inhibitors in traditional ethylene glycol (EG) "green" coolants are based on Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT).

The inhibitors in Dex-Cool/orange propylene glycol (PG) coolants are based on Organic Acid Technology (OAT).

The inhibitors in Zerex G-05 blue/clear PG coolant are based on Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT).

The most widely-reported caution is that mixing coolant types can result in the incompatible inhibitors forming a sludge or gel that clogs narrower passages in the cooling system (and not just the small pipes in the heater core).

Another issue is that OAT and HOAT coolants do not control electrolysis in cooling systems made of more than one metal (especially when one of them is brass), and they do not protect steel water pump impellers from electrolysis or cavitation erosion (which is why plastic impellers were introduced with OAT coolants in the S-Types and X350s).

New formulations of OAT and HOAT coolants continue to be developed, and some "universal" formulations are claimed to be compatible with other coolants. But since many automakers state in their technical literature that IAT should not be mixed with OAT or HOAT, and OAT and HOAT should not be mixed together, the safest route is to use the coolant specified by Jaguar for your model and VIN.

And if the wrong coolant has been used in your car, follow the good advice you've already received from omgimali, Eric and yeldogt, and flush the system very thoroughly with multiple drain-and-fill cycles of distilled water before refilling with the correct coolant.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-19-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:31 PM

Vin is 836438.and d542 (jlm 20404) is what the spec sheet says I should use but since I dont have a jag dealer close by what would my options be for coolant?

Old 02-19-2017, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Vin is 836438.and d542 (jlm 20404) is what the spec sheet says I should use but since I dont have a jag dealer close by what would my options be for coolant?
You are as confused as I was a year ago, and the more you read, the more confused you will be.
The fact that Jaguar does not give info on what their coolants actually are does not help as well.

From all info I got and processed, I figured that my car (and yours is about the same age) need an IAT based coolant.
The fact that Jaguar changed colors has not to do with different type (IAT-OAT- HOAT - see Don's post), but merely an upgrade within the IAT (this before they changed to Dex-Cool OAT in something like 2000 or so) ... yeah confusing he?

Anyway, I filled the old lady with an up to date IAT (which was a green color), and she does just fine, and that in a tropical climate where things get really hot sometimes.

Just my 2 cents, I am sure ppl do not agree ...

Don B (02-19-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Jaguar did not use 'Green" coolant in the USA.

My 1995 x300 VDB had blue -- my 1998x308 VDP had the yellow -- both of my 02 XJR's have the red/orange. Jaguar service was able to determine coolant type by color when a car came in for service and add/use the proper type.

The TSB I provided is old -- gave it for information only. Jaguar came out with a later TSB describing the flush procedure to move the car to the red/orange. The red/orange is suitable for all the cars (with proper flush). My 98 originally supplied with the yellow was switched to the red/orange by Jaguar service when the water pump was serviced.

Much changed in the 90's -- huge advancements in plastics and fluids. The old green coolant was being replaced by all the manufacturers that still used it with more environmental fluids that also had a longer life. Cooling systems took advantage of the newest plastic technologies -- it was all about longer maintenance intervals. The typical "green" coolant was a two year fluid -- the early alternative was 5 .. the later was out past 10 years.

The later red/orange fluid is suitable for use in any of the x308's -- WITH PROPER FLUSHING.

Both of my 02's have had normal coolant refreshes -- nothing else has been done. Neither has ever been opened for any reason. So many problems occur -- usually with second owners when they try and save $20 bucks ... many problems on this board with messed up cooling systems.

The question for you is? How clean can you get the engine and remaining system. If you can clean it out use the newest fluid -- if you can't .. I would use the hybrid fluid as by all accounts it's not as problematic with small amount of the older technology.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:01 PM

The later red/orange fluid is suitable for use in any of the x308's -- WITH PROPER FLUSHING.
i heard that red would hurt the gaskets in 98 and early 99 models.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I use the green prestone works with everything coolant; BUT I still flushed it a lot. I recommend drain and fill every 2-3 years; and I did the flush cycle before switching several years ago.

The sludge can be VERY real. I've owned several GM cars that people have an almost angry fear of dexcool sludge. I'm actually switching a Grand Prix to the green stuff tonight since it's unknown age coolant and sediment composition.

yeldogt (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

i heard that red would hurt the gaskets in 98 and early 99 models.
For one I don't think anything changed and two it was recommend in subsequent TSB's

It's the green that was never used -- high phosphate/ silicate

Old 02-20-2017, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I use the green prestone works with everything coolant; BUT I still flushed it a lot. I recommend drain and fill every 2-3 years; and I did the flush cycle before switching several years ago.

The sludge can be VERY real. I've owned several GM cars that people have an almost angry fear of dexcool sludge. I'm actually switching a Grand Prix to the green stuff tonight since it's unknown age coolant and sediment composition.
It only occurs (sludge) when the wrong coolant is added? If you use the coolant the car was intended to have you don't have any issues?

Why would you change it out? .. go though all that trouble to clean and flush --- put the incorrect fluid back in ???

The proper fluid can stay for 5 years -- it's the best and cheapest way to go.

My 02 had a change at 5 years 10 years and last summer -- we drained the radiator .. a few tiny specks. We ran a gallon of D water through the overflow tank and another through the supercharger fill .. I bought a new gasket. In 15 years I have spent under $150 on the cooling system on this car.

Hit thanks by mistake

Last edited by yeldogt; 02-20-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:09 PM

So is it safe to go with the zerex g05 or would dexcool be better.
ive flushed gm cars requiring dex and put in green.ive always used green in all my cars but im a new jag owner

Last edited by Jrp79; 02-20-2017 at 05:11 PM.