Old 02-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Recoding Remote Alarm Transmitters FAQ

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  19.3 KB

Recoding Remote Alarm Transmitters - as posted by coventry west

We often get questions from customers on how to recode their remote alarm transmitters after replacing batteries. Below are the procedures for performing this recoding for 1990-1996 XJ6s. These procedures will only apply to Jaguar original equipment alarm systems, of course.

1990-92 XJ6 cars:

1. Record radio security code (if so equipped).
2. Disconnect negative battery terminal/cable.
3. Reconnect negative battery terminal/cable; "beeping" should be heard.
4. Press each transmitter so a total of 5 confirmations are heard.
5. Test operation. Enter radio code (if needed). Set clock.

1993-94 XJ6 cars:

1. Turn ignition key ON.
2. Turn security switch OFF (located in center console).
3. Turn ignition key OFF.
4. Turn security switch ON.
5. Cycle security system switch ON/OFF rapidly 4 times (within 5 seconds).
6. Press each transmitter so a total of 5 confirmations are heard.

1995-96 XJ6 cars:

1. Open trunk lid.
2. Open driver's door.
3. Turn ignition switch "ON" but do not start engine.
4. Rock valet switch (located in center console) 5 times; a single chirp and flash of the headlamps indicate the Security Locking Control Module has entered the "learning" mode.
5. Press the alarm/lock (larger) button of the first transmitter. This transmitter will be linked to position 1 of the seat/steering/mirror memory. A tone will confirm that the transmitter code was accepted. Note that the button must be pushed within 15 seconds or the module will exit the "learning" mode.
6. Rock valet switch once. Two short chirps will indicate the system is ready to accept a second transmitter. Press the arm/lock (larger) button of the second transmitter. Two tones will confirm the transmitter code was accepted.
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for up to a total of 5 transmitters. The second transmitter programmed will be linked to position 2; the third to position 3, and so forth. The number of confirmation chirps mentioned in step 6 will indicate the transmitter count (i.e. 3 chirps for third transmitter). Note that you must cycle through steps 5 and 6 five times regardless of the number of transmitters; if you have less than 5 transmitters just repeat using the last transmitter until 5 cycles have been finished.
8. Turn ignition off and close door and trunk. Test for proper operation of the seat/steering/mirror memories.

1996-06 XK8/R cars:

1. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch barrel, but do not turn it..
2. Hold the turn signal switch stalk in the "flash to pass" postion and turn the ignition on with the key (while holding the turn signal switch in "flash to pass").
3. Then repeatedly flash the lights with the turn signal stalk until a confirmation chirp is heard (usually five or six flashes).
4. After hearing the chirp, depress the button on the remote transmitter being programmed. If the remote was accepted, there will be another confirmation chirp.
5. Turn off the ignition and test the remote.

The following 19 users liked this post by JimC64:
1LeSvT (02-08-2018), angel51 (09-02-2013), cadtbird (02-26-2017), Cerberus128 (12-09-2012), chrisant (11-21-2010), Daim (02-25-2015), enderle (06-30-2013), flfishindude (02-13-2015), jimbov8 (06-24-2013), jjd247247 (02-15-2015), jjjyuma (03-08-2014), littlelic69 (02-13-2013), maringa (11-17-2015), MFoncerrada8 (10-09-2013), piju1945 (10-18-2015), Stamford (02-05-2013), toaster (11-04-2023), User 070620 (07-10-2014), Virgo (04-19-2012) and 14 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks

Thank you that was very helpful!

Last edited by chrisant; 11-21-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you

Old 04-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank U!

Old 12-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry programming issues

I cant get it to work and am totally frustrated. yes, have the right remote.. yes, follow instructions to the letter.. I can get the red light to blink on the console after flashing the lights several times but I never, ever get the chirps.

IS THERE ANOTHER POSSIBILITYOF AN ISSUE...like a module failure or am I missing something.

HELP

1997 XK8

Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

You're getting as far as the system going into learning mode so it's unlikely to be the module at fault.

Do you know for certain the remote you have is functioning properly? As you get nothing when pressing the lock or unlock button, it's possibly not transmitting a signal.

Graham

Old 12-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Might also be worth editing the XK8/XKR instructions to say that the procedure has to be repeated 5 times.

ie: if you have 2 remotes, programme the 2nd remote 4 times, to make a total of 5 programming procedures, as you do with the other Jaguar models.

Also, all remotes should be reprogrammed whenever any remote is reprogrammed.

Just a suggestion for people who only read the instructions for the XK8/R.

plums told me that.

Last edited by Roadhogg; 12-05-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

What about X308 cars?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Try the same procedure as the xk8-r, FIvE times, should be the same. They share so many common parts and modules.

The following 2 users liked this post by H20boy:
queenofthesea (12-06-2012), Tirefriar (12-07-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BINGO....ding ding ding

Problem solved. Thank you H20, you were right. five times was the charm.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah, yes. It's the classic Chinese Fire Drill when reprogramming the remotes! Just saying...

Old 06-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 03 XK8 flood car & the principally the trunk got soaked. Headlamps & dash, light up. I needed to purchase(& did) the security & locking module, but the car didn't come with keyless remote. If I purchase a Jag remote will I be able to program it?

Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 AM
GGG

Provided you obtain a remote of the correct frequency (US and Europe are different) and correct series number for your model year, you will be able to program it yourself.

However, it may not be that straightforward as the SLM (Security & Locking Control Module) is a programmable module and is not necessarily interchangeable from one vehicle to another without reprogramming. Module programming requires dealer level diagnostic equipment.

Recoding Remote Alarm Transmitters FAQ-vcats-label-2.jpg

I'll be interested to see other members replies to this as I have no experience in replacing SLM's.

Did you check the VCATS (Vehicle Configuration & Test System) label on the luggage compartment floor for the identity of the SLM fitted to your vehicle and obtain one with the same identity number?

Recoding Remote Alarm Transmitters FAQ-vcats-label.jpg

This VCATS label pic is from my last X308 but the XK8/XKR is the same type of label.

Graham

Old 06-28-2013, 12:47 AM

I'll have to check re: the VCATS.Since it was the trunk that got soaked the sticker may be either missing or toast!
Any idea ballpark what the cost to have a dealer reprogram it would be?

Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 AM
GGG

Our UK Jaguar Dealers charge by the hour at their normal labour rate for diagnostics/reprogramming and I haven't read any reports on the forum suggesting US Dealers do it differently.

Most members experience this when getting a new key and finding there's then one hour labour to be added for programming it!

You've nothing to lose by getting the right remote and trying to program it. if the replacement SLM is a match, you're a winner. if not, then it's off to the Dealer or an Indy with the same level diagnostic equipment.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
03xk8 (06-30-2013)
Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 PM

Thanks, I'd like to see some more threads also! It would be awesome if that worked & I didn't have to get it towed to have the programming done. It will probably be August before I can really start diving into things.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
Try the same procedure as the xk8-r, FIvE times, should be the same. They share so many common parts and modules.
I'm confused now after reading so many posts on this subject. I have one 4 button remote unit LJA2610BA 433.92MHz ( new batteries 2 x CR2016 3V CELLS + SIDE TO CASE TERMINALS). When I got the car the old guy had neglected it for a few years and the battery went dead, it was replaced earlier this year but the key is not coded to the car. I have tried all the methods in this thread numerous times ( which is the first sign of madness to repeat the same thing over time and again and get the same result ) but only get to the red blink on the console with no chirrup ( tone ). I have had the transmitter checked at a parts shop and they confirm it is working or transmitting. I only try each button once when I see the red light, is that correct? Do I need the door open/closed for this, and is it O.K to perform the operation from the drives seat? I know there is a fuse related to the alarm system in the boot/trunk and also in the drivers side door area. I have checked them and they are both O.K. However when checking the fused I saw on the drivers side door area I saw a little bit of thread hanging down from the wiring harness. I checked this out and noticed there was a two pin connection that had either been disconnected or had come apart ( only two wires here ). This connector is located just left of the OBD11 connector, I tried the process both connected and obviously disconnected with a negative result.
Any idea's what this twin cable is for, one side sits in a metal secured holder. The cable is Orange, the other is Blue/white strip, they look quite thick, the flexible end has a white/clear 2 pin connector, the secure end is black. Left unconnected at this time.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards,
Arty

Last edited by ArtyH; 08-31-2013 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 05-03-2014, 05:09 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Remote seems OK but....

So my remote was starting to work only intermittently and then finally stopped altogether. New batt and cleaned contacts but no joy.
Thought it may have lost programming so did reprogram sequence. Got the chirp series so that means fob is working, but system still doesn't.
Nothing else has been changed lately.
Suggestions?

Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by bleeth
So my remote was starting to work only intermittently and then finally stopped altogether. New batt and cleaned contacts but no joy.
Thought it may have lost programming so did reprogram sequence. Got the chirp series so that means fob is working, but system still doesn't.
Nothing else has been changed lately.
Suggestions?
Disconnect the car battery for a minute or so and then reconnect it. No guarantees, but it might work. You will need to reset the windows afterwards.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,567 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadhogg
Might also be worth editing the XK8/XKR instructions to say that the procedure has to be repeated 5 times.

ie: if you have 2 remotes, programme the 2nd remote 4 times, to make a total of 5 programming procedures, as you do with the other Jaguar models.

Just a suggestion for people who only read the instructions for the XK8/R.

plums told me that.

I added these instructions to the 1st post by JimC64 and together this is how it read to me:

"......
1996-06 XK8/R cars:

1. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch barrel, but do not turn it.
2. Hold the turn signal switch stalk in the "flash to pass" postion and turn the ignition on with the key (while holding the turn signal switch in "flash to pass").
3. Then repeatedly flash the lights with the turn signal stalk until a confirmation chirp is heard (usually five or six flashes).
4. After hearing the chirp, depress the button on the remote transmitter being programmed. If the remote was accepted, there will be another confirmation chirp.

5. Turn off the ignition and test the remote.

......"

I got NOWHERE using this sequence in trying to program two remotes, (let's call them remote "A" and remote "B"), when programming remote "A" one time , then programming remote "B" four times, as suggested above.

out of desperation I tried doing both remotes together like this:

followed the first 3 steps unaltered:

1. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch barrel, but do not turn it.

This is my STEP 4:

4. After hearing the chirp, depress the button on the remote transmitter "A" being programmed. If the remote was accepted, there will be another confirmation chirp. THEN immediately depress the button on the remote transmitter "B" being programmed. If the remote was accepted, there will be another confirmation chirp.

Repeated those steps 1-4 five times, and both remotes "A" and B" were now programmed.

Is my experience unique ? Or universal ?

Z

Last edited by zray; 02-06-2018 at 06:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
1LeSvT (02-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Recoding Remote Alarm Transmitters FAQ