S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rightside tail light problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rightside tail light problem

The start of all this was a failed brake lamp (21/4W). When I tried replacing it I got into two kinds of trouble - didn't have one at hand when I bought a replacement (so I made a mistake and bought a 21/5W). Then when I was installing this one, the fuse went bust and I replaced it (number 53, 10A).

After all this even with the correct (21/4W) bulb installed the rear tail light and the brake light won't go off after the lamps are switched off or even after the car is closed (of course they go off eventually when the car falls asleep). The onboard computer is showing Failed right tail light, Failed right break light messages.

The question is - did I burn some electric component or should I be looking into other fuses? Checked the 48th, it's fine.

All help greatly appreciated.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

It is probably fuses...... Try the left side as well. #'s 44 and 57. Also, sometimes the bulb sockets can be a bit temperamental, so check the bulb fit. Mine was a pain... And changing bulbs on the way to work in the parking lot of the auto store, I accidentally let the back plate touch metal and killed some fuses.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I agree - reseat your bulbs first, then check and reseat your fuses. Sometimes road vibration can shake the bulbs just enough that they move slightly in their sockets and cause problems as a result.

About a month ago I was driving the S-Type and a message appeared on the screen stating "Left brake light out". Within two minutes, the message disappeared. When I got home perhaps 30 minutes later I checked the brake lights and they were both operating normally at that time. But I went ahead and reseated the left brake light bulb in its assembly just in case. It's been fine ever since.

Sometimes these S-Type electronics can be quirky. Just goes with the territory, I guess....

Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

When I got my car, the first time I had a friend follow me, she called and told me that I had a tail light out. I had no warnings or other indication of any sort of problem.

So I get her to sit in the car, press the brakes etc, and the driver's side tail lamp was almost twice as bright at the passenger. I figured I had a fillament out on a dual fillament bulb or something. So a couple days later, I head to the parts store, pick up a couple P21/4's etc. Take out the passenger side tail light, every element is fine, and everything lights up. - weird.

So pull the drivers side lamp, and the one element is obviously way brighter. I go to pull the bulb out and its jammed. Wont flinch... So eventually I work the bulb out, and I realize someone had forced, litterally - to the point of bending the tabs an 1156 bulb into the base.

I had to sit there with a tiny needle nose and straighten the base out. I still don't understand two things. First why would you FORCE a bulb that didn't fit (the tabs on the bayonet base are in the wrong place) into a tail light socket, and secondly how the hell he didn't break the glass trying to get that bulb in there. Tail light bulbs have some VERY thin glass....

George

Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
It is probably fuses...... Try the left side as well. #'s 44 and 57. Also, sometimes the bulb sockets can be a bit temperamental, so check the bulb fit. Mine was a pain... And changing bulbs on the way to work in the parking lot of the auto store, I accidentally let the back plate touch metal and killed some fuses.
The same happened here. When I tried changing it I brought the old one into the shop to find a similar one, but since the shop didn't have it, I thought I'd drive a little to a different one. Since I was quite in a hurry, I didn't fit the old bulb properly and it fell into the lamp (so much pain in the A to get that out...) and that's why I bought a wrong one.

And when I struggled to fit the new one I think I also touched the metal and I think that's why the fuse went bust.

It's strange that the lights are always on in my case. And would it really be possible that the left side fuse would make the right side lights be on and not make any difference to the left side lights?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

That is the odd thing.... My lamps were lit up always as well..Like there was no switch and one side was dimmer than the other..The bulbs were correct and seated properly....I then said to myself "nah, it can't be fuses.." but I checked anyway...Didn't ya know...Two were burned out..replaced them and the lamps were fine....

Old 03-29-2010, 03:49 AM

The problem still remains. The rear right lamp is still shining when the car is closed and I still get a warning on the dash - "Right tail lamp failed" (the brake light warning is gone though). I checked all the fuses in the trunk and all of them seem to be fine. I also tried checking all the bulbs but no result there.
I suppose I fried something else.

Last edited by Nerius; 03-29-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

My wife drove her S-Type to Tampa on Saturday to visit her parents. She reports that the "Left brake light out" message popped up again perhaps 500 miles into her trip. Unlike last time, the message did not disappear within a few minutes, and the left brake light bulb now appears to be a bit dimmer than the right one. Last time this message showed up, both bulbs were normal.

When she returns home at the end of this week, I'll check the bulbs again and the fuses as well. If that doesn't fix it, I'll begin to suspect the battery. When the battery is in the early stages of failure in these cars, all sorts of faults and messages can mysteriously show up....

Last edited by Jon89; 03-29-2010 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Also check the light with the engine running. If still dim, not likely the battery. Bad connection or corrosion much more likely.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:24 AM

Isn't it possible that the light is dimmer when the brake is not pressed? Since the bulb is 21/4W the brake light may be out, but the bulb still work.

In my case, I will have to show the car to my mech anyway, so I will post if I have any news.

Last edited by Nerius; 03-29-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Default Right tail Light

whenever i start my car the light on the dash would say Right tail Lamp Failed.
i would either have to get out and hit it..or drive and go over a bump..and it would come one....anyone know what might cause that? once its on..it doesnt turn off or anything..... but only when u switch the car off and back on.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Nothing quite like slapping a lighting assembly to make it work!

Your bulb is probably loose in its socket. First things first - reseat the bulb....

Old 03-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2000 S-Type 4.0, and have an issue with the left driver's side tail light - get a message on the dash, and have tried fuses/lamps to no avail - no light! I used my VOM on the socket, and have 12 V from either contact to ground, but nothing across the socket - weird! Any help would be appreciated on this - THM

Old 04-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

Update:

Our "Left brake light out" message on the dashboard turned out to be simply a failed bulb. Never had one fail in stages before, though. They either light up or they don't....

Be aware that the entire back side of the taillight assembly (the metal plate that all of the bulbs screw into) is solid metal (it appears to deliver the current to the bulb sockets), so if you decide to set this assembly down in the metal trunk area behind the assembly while you're removing a new bulb from its package, be sure to lay a hand towel or a piece of cardboard down on the metal trunk area first. There's no trunk carpet in that spot since it's not visible or accessible when the taillight assembly is fitted into place, and laying the assembly's metal plate directly onto the metal trunk area is bound to blow bulbs, fuses, and who knows what else. Just remember that whenever you go to change any of the taillight assembly bulbs, take a hand towel with you. Perfect size and shape to serve as your insulator between the assembly's metal plate and the metal trunk area....

Last edited by Jon89; 04-06-2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Update:

Our "Left brake light out" message on the dashboard turned out to be simply a failed bulb. Never had one fail in stages before, though. They either light up or they don't....

Be aware that the entire back side of the taillight assembly (the metal plate that all of the bulbs screw into) is solid metal (it appears to deliver the current to the bulb sockets), so if you decide to set this assembly down in the metal trunk area behind the assembly while you're removing a new bulb from its package, be sure to lay a hand towel or a piece of cardboard down on the metal trunk area first. There's no trunk carpet in that spot since it's not visible or accessible when the taillight assembly is fitted into place, and laying the assembly's metal plate directly onto the metal trunk area is bound to blow bulbs, fuses, and who knows what else. Just remember that whenever you go to change any of the taillight assembly bulbs, take a hand towel with you. Perfect size and shape to serve as your insulator between the assembly's metal plate and the metal trunk area....
That's an excellent tip, Jon. Since I didn't do that at the right time, I seem to have blown the electrical block that controls the rightside tail light. Still waiting for my mech to have time for me.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Nothing quite like slapping a lighting assembly to make it work!

Your bulb is probably loose in its socket. First things first - reseat the bulb....
Good advice Jon. I had a RF signal indicator fail message the other day. Took the bulb out and no obvious signs that it blew. Replaced it and everything works fine. Also, when replacing a bulb make sure you try to light it up. This clears out the offending nag message.

Mike

Old 04-15-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nerius
The start of all this was a failed brake lamp (21/4W). When I tried replacing it I got into two kinds of trouble - didn't have one at hand when I bought a replacement (so I made a mistake and bought a 21/5W). Then when I was installing this one, the fuse went bust and I replaced it (number 53, 10A).

After all this even with the correct (21/4W) bulb installed the rear tail light and the brake light won't go off after the lamps are switched off or even after the car is closed (of course they go off eventually when the car falls asleep). The onboard computer is showing Failed right tail light, Failed right break light messages.

The question is - did I burn some electric component or should I be looking into other fuses? Checked the 48th, it's fine.

All help greatly appreciated.

Hi Nerius,
Have you solved this problem yet?
I had a similar problem:
-bulb blew and a fuse blew, after I replaced both, one of the bulbs remained permanently on!
-A local garage found that the right rear tail light electronic control module had failed: they replaced it and problem fixed!
Hope this helps!

Old 04-20-2010, 08:19 AM

Thanks, Jaguar.

That's exactly what my tech said. I'm sure he will be able to fix it, but I didn't yet had the time to leave the car with him.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:43 AM

Thanks for letting me know, good luck!