US Central MT, WY, CO, ND, SD, NE, KS

Looking for a Jaguar tuner in Denver

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking for a Jaguar tuner in Denver

I recently bought a 2010 XFR, and there are a few modifications I'd like to do to it (pulley, exhaust, etc), but I'd really like to find a local tuner before I start down that path. I've called around to several of the local tuners without success. Does anybody know anyone locally who can dyno tune the car?

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Let me know if you do find one, I'm in the same boat with my STR. I did the pulley myself (never again) and just had my exhaust done (high flow cats and x-pipe, should be pretty easy for most any exhaust shop) but I don't know of any place that dyno tunes Jaguars.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I talked to Brett at Concourse Motorsports in Colorado Springs yesterday evening. He said that they recently did an 2009 XKR (4.2L). They did an upper and lower pulley, full exhaust, and a limited slip on the car. As far as tuning, they actually flew Mike from Eurotoys here to do the tune. At the end of the day, they got about 585 HP to the wheels, but spent about $10k in the process. Brett was great on the phone and invited me to come down to the Springs and shoot the **** when I've got some time. Unfortunately, they specialize in Audi and Porsche and don't do any actual Jaguar tuning themselves.

On a different subject, how did your exhaust job work out? Which cats did you end up running? Any trouble getting through emissions?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Rakka
I talked to Brett at Concourse Motorsports in Colorado Springs yesterday evening. He said that they recently did an 2009 XKR (4.2L). They did an upper and lower pulley, full exhaust, and a limited slip on the car. As far as tuning, they actually flew Mike from Eurotoys here to do the tune. At the end of the day, they got about 585 HP to the wheels, but spent about $10k in the process.
Brett may be a nice guy, but getting 585 rwhp is just not possible. Even 585 engine hp isn't even possible with the mods mentioned. So I would be carefull with him...

The following users liked this post:
tlmsail (04-22-2013)
Old 05-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

You would need a twin screw s/c to get that much power. I got Magnaflow high-flow cats and x-pipe installed, but my emissions aren't due till September of next year but they are for OBD2 cars so I don't think I'll have any issues. Its a little raspy for my taste, but the power gains are worth it.

The following users liked this post:
tlmsail (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

avos is right. I'm the guy who owns the XKR Brett of Concours Motorsports referred to. Although the story is pretty accurate, there are a few discrepancies. Concours did do the upper and lower pulley installations that were purchased through Eurotoys. They also did the installation of the Milltek Hi-flow cats and the Milltek cat back exhaust. They did not install the Quaife LSD, nor did they fly Mike at Eurotoys to Colorado Springs for the tune. Jack's Transmissions in C. Springs did the LSD and I flew Mike to my house for the tune. Concours did do the coordination for much of the work and for the things they did, they were fantastic. Additionally the car has a water/methanol injection system that was installed by Brandon at Kleemann USA in C Springs to minimize HP loss as operating temps increase and during high summer ambient temps. Baseline RWHP was measured on the dyno at at Kleemann at 334.6 and torque at 367.0. Final dyno runs after installation of all mods resulted in 373.5 RWHP and 458.5 ft/lbs. By adding in the drive-train losses of 85.4 HP and 45.3 ft/lbs from the baseline dyno runs prior to any mods, we ended up with a final shaft horsepower approximation of 460 BHP and 494 ft/lbs of torque. Gains from all mods resulted in an approximate increase of 40 BHP and 80 ft/lbs of torque.

Given the limitations of modifications for Jaguar cars imposed by the manufacturer, it's unlikely that numbers in excess of these are attainable without going to such extremes as installing twin-screw S/Cs and such. To the best of my knowledge, there is still no ability to do an actual dyno tune by any aftermarket provider. The Eurotoys tune simply eliminates some of the manufacturers overly cautious limitations by increasing a few ECU parameters, such as the speed limitation which is raised to 186 MPH. It is a worthwhile thing to do to ensure the car can take maximum advantage of the modifications mentioned here.

I hope this helps anyone contemplating mods to their 2007 - 2009 XKRs or XFRs. The performance gains put those model years on a par with the 2010+ model years. The final HP numbers are slightly lower, but the torque is significantly higher. And, the folks at Concours got it right when they said HP may sell cars, but torque wins races. I drove a 2012 XKR at the Jaguar Live Experience in Denver (and got low time of the day) and I am convinced my car is as fast as that one was. I know this is a subjective comparison, but it's my opinion after having driven both in similar situations (autocross/slalom). I must note that I drive my car with the DSC off and that car was in DSC Trac mode. Anyone with questions or wanting additional info may contact me at tlmsail@comcast.net.

Last edited by tlmsail; 04-22-2013 at 04:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tlmsail:
GoldenBoy (11-29-2014), Paul Fisher (02-15-2019)