US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

NJ - Comprehensive Component Not Ready

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:27 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default NJ - Comprehensive Component Not Ready

Hello.

I posted this in the XKR Forum, but thought it might be more appropriate here. 2003 XKR.

Can anyone tell me what "Comprehensive Component" is for NJ State Inspection? The local guy in town said this will never "reset" on it's own and that my computer has been tampered with?

So I am failing for Comprehensive Component "Not Ready" and Overall Readiness Result "FAIL"

The person I purchased from in FL said an O2 sensor was replaced recently.

I called Cherry Hill Jag, they said drive with fuel between 25% and 75% but I see on my NJ Inspection that Evap was ready?

I am new to Jag, frankly all this twisting and turning over one setting and failing inspection is giving me 2nd thoughts.

Any input from NJ Jaguar XKR/XK8 that have seen this, is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Attached Thumbnails NJ - Comprehensive Component Not Ready-inspection.jpg  

Last edited by R3Wood; 08-29-2014 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typo addition
Old 08-29-2014, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

It will take patience, but I believe if you continue driving it will flip to ready on its own. Comprehensive is normally the last test to complete.

This thread discusses how to apply for a tailpipe test in NJ as an alternative if necessary: Failed NJ inspection 3x now, Comprehensive Component Not Ready - North American Motoring

The following users liked this post:
R3Wood (08-29-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Unhappy

Thanks. The local garage here told me it will never go to ready on it's own.

Any idea why it's "NOT READY?"

I think the battery may have been disconnected or died recently (maybe in late July) and O2 sensor bank 2, which was replaced, code cleared. No other codes present.

I also read Mini's have this issue.

Does anyone know for sure if the Comprehensive Component line will eventually switch to "READY" on it's own?

What is the worst part is the car is not a polluter and it still does not pass.

Thanks,

Old 08-30-2014, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

When the codes are cleared all monitors go to not ready and the process starts anew.

In my own XKR the last two to clear were EVAP and comprehensive, and they cleared separately. Virginia will pass you with one not ready monitor and I passed with comprehensive still not ready. Subsequently, after some more miles comprehensive passed (my OBDII reader gives the status of the monitors, so I was able to see for myself).

Unless your garage has hands-on experience with your exact car and model year and this problem, I would take his pronouncement with a grain of salt.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-30-2014 at 08:09 AM.
R3Wood (08-31-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
When the codes are cleared all monitors go to not ready and the process starts anew.

In my own XKR the last two to clear were EVAP and comprehensive, and they cleared separately. Virginia will pass you with one not ready monitor and I passed with comprehensive still not ready. Subsequently, after some more miles comprehensive passed (my OBDII reader gives the status of the monitors, so I was able to see for myself).

Unless your garage has hands-on experience with your exact car and model year and this problem, I would take his pronouncement with a grain of salt.
Thanks! I appreciate the information, especially being new to Jaguar and the XKR. I love driving this car and it would be a shame if it all cracked due to NJ State Inspection.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:25 AM

Well no sticker yet. I parked the car in October and it has been in the heated garage since then. In January the battery stopped taking the CTek charge and we had snow, cold etc. On Monday I put a new battery in, it fired right up, brought the tire pressure up to spec and went out for a nice drive. Now the question is, since the battery was dead and the car was brought back to life on 4/13/15, how long before I venture to the inspection station? It drives me crazy driving without the sticker and probably just a matter of time before I am hassled.

Last edited by R3Wood; 04-16-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Stress relief

Take it to a major auto parts store where they'll read your OBD for free.
I'd call ahead to make sure they provide this free service.

Good Luck!!!

R3Wood (05-05-2015)
Old 01-14-2016, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an easy fix for this. Here is the procedure to follow to get the comprehensive component monitor ready:

http://obdclearinghouse.com/index.ph...t_file&id=1418

Attached Files
Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 07:12 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I have had the same problem for over a year now, MIL on and showing a P0456. I know this code is a small leak in the EVAP system, I do get a smell of gas outside of the car right after fill up if I drive under 15 miles, after that no smell and never any smell in the cabin.

I disconnected the battery in hopes of clearing a PARKING BRAKE FAULT message which it did and the MIL has been off for 600 miles now and my OBD reader shows no codes but does show EVAP not ready.

I am sure my car has gone through the above drive cycle many times but the EVAP will not complete. Any thoughts?

I have been driving with a failed sticker all this time too.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Clamdigger
I have had the same problem for over a year now, MIL on and showing a P0456. I know this code is a small leak in the EVAP system, I do get a smell of gas outside of the car right after fill up if I drive under 15 miles, after that no smell and never any smell in the cabin.

I disconnected the battery in hopes of clearing a PARKING BRAKE FAULT message which it did and the MIL has been off for 600 miles now and my OBD reader shows no codes but does show EVAP not ready.

I am sure my car has gone through the above drive cycle many times but the EVAP will not complete. Any thoughts?

I have been driving with a failed sticker all this time too.
Clamdigger, did you ever get EVAP to complete and what was secret?

Old 04-06-2016, 07:39 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Quantico I still have the same problem

Old 08-30-2018, 08:55 AM

Sorry for waking this thread from the dead. I'm back in the same thing again. Fixed EVAP Leak, new battery, now i'm weeks in, and hundreds of miles and it's groundhog day, Comprehensive Component NOT READY. I find the Jaguar drive cycles to be a real joke. Recently on my Audi A6, I had manifold runners replaced in Turnersville (all codes reset) 40 min drive to Mays Landing inspection station it went right thru passed. Why is Jaguar Comprehensive Component such a mystery? So I carry the scan tool with me, check it when I get to work, then check it again when I get home, and check it yet again after pleasure miles on the weekend. I've put more miles on the car for Comprehensive Component than joy riding LOL.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:03 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Recently, was reunited with my love after a long separation due to major repairs. I had turned in the plates thinking that I would sell it as a project car or for parts. Ultimately, after a search for a replacement and no serious offers, I decided to repair the car. So, before picking up the car, I had to get new plates! With the plates installed, I was then anxious to take the car through NJDMV inspection. WHY DIDN’T SOMEONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS DRIVING CYCLE BUSINESS! Naturally, I failed for emissions readiness and was awarded the dreaded red “REJECTED” sticker. Driving around with this sticker on an otherwise beautifully operating and beautifully looking automobile makes one feel that everyone is looking at the sticker! Well, I decided to purchase an OBDII reader, so that I would know when all systems were ready! Again, foolishly, I cleared all codes and, after over a week of driving for systems to re-set, had to start from square one! (Perhaps, this along with the driving cycle requirements should be added to the “stickies”.) Now, all diagnostic monitors are ready except the CCM. I will drive the car up until the deadline for re-inspection...hopefully, the CCM monitor will have re-set! I HATE THOSE RED STICKERS!!!

Last edited by staggerlee51; 03-14-2019 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Remove emojis
Old 04-11-2019, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Mine went to P1111 last year.
Was watching the temperature after replacing thermostat with housing.
Water pump, tensioner, idler bearing, belt also.
All was well, BUT the code went back to P1000.
This & ox sensor on the next page, don't want to clear.
No C E L, or warning of any kind.
Battery was NOT disconnected, so W T F Happened???????

Old 06-23-2019, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Red face

Car did pass its inspection, but comprehensive component is still not ready.
With way over a thousand miles on it any ideas why, or what to do to remedy the situation?????

Old 06-23-2019, 10:10 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Depending on model, you could be chasing the unattainable looking for single comprehensive component readiness.

To avoid unnecessary complexity, a single comprehensive engine management or transmission drive cycle was not developed by Jaguar and you should refer to the individual DTC(s) for specific drive cycle / monitoring conditions.

A change from P1000 to P1111 indicates all OnBoard Monitoring test have been completed.

Graham

Old 06-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Smile

Just curious as to why it went from P1111, back to P1000, in the first place.
As long as it passes e check and runs well life is great.
2004 is the year, the 07 seems to clear quickly.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:44 PM

Just want to post what I did to clear the CCM for my x350 because I did a lot driving but it didn't help. Yes, check the service manual if you have one. For those who don't (for the X350) put the car in 5th gear and drive for 2min over 55 mph such that the engine rpm is over 1800 (rpm is more important than speed here). The system is trying to check whether the torque converter locks up for direct drive. Then let the car coast and the engine slow down from 1800 rpm to below 1000 rpm - without using the brakes as much as possible. Try not to crash in the process. Bring the car to a complete stop and the then release the brakes and let the car crawl without touching the accelerator for one minute. Switch off the engine and check the monitor. This did it for me - hope this helps.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

Appreciate your effort to help to solve an ongoing issue with some of the early XJ8's.

Exactly what it takes to satisfy the computer, that things are well, seems to be an ongoing question!!!

My understanding is as long as only one of the monitoring systems has not cleared, you will pass the emissions inspection.

Mine has still not cleared, i've even replaced the o'ring on the dip stick, that was creeping up a little, thinking that might be the problem.

No luck, car runs great, mileage on the road in the 30's, passes emissions so life is good

Old 12-21-2019, 10:52 AM

Good for you! Unfortunately only the evap monitor is allowed to be incomplete to pass the smog test where I live. Here's the page from the service manual which helped me overcome the desolation of smog :P