US Southern Midwest AR LA MS KY TN AL

Good shops in the New Orleans area

Old 12-31-2016, 10:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Good shops in the New Orleans area

I'm looking for shops to take my '08 XKR for maintenance and some minor body work.
I have been to Paretti but, while they got the job done, they have a long wait time before they can get to work on it.
I got hit by what appeared to be a golfball sized rock that made a minor dent and moderate scratch in the paint. At least it hit the metal instead of the glass.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NOLA Mechanic

Hi Kizik, did you ever find a good mechanic? I just got a 2008 XJ in NOLA and can’t find a tech.

Old 08-09-2022, 02:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gambino's Foreign Cars in Elmwood was recommended to me by several people including the service manager at Paretti after they were no longer able to work on "older" Jaguars like ours.
I've moved away so I haven't been there recently -- YMMV.

Old 08-17-2022, 12:24 PM

Thanks. In case anyone is curious, I took it to Gambino’s and Kevin was great, did a few things on it same-day for a fair price. Nice guy, and Jaguar expert, most of his guys were at Paretti (the Jag dealership) before. Although they don’t seem to answer the phone, you have to just drive up.

The following users liked this post:
Nolaexpat (08-30-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 06:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can confirm, spoke with Gambino's today, was looking to get my XK8 computer updated, Paretti said 'too old' we don't service older than 10 yrs. Gambino's said older than 2010 they do not have the electronics/tools for same. EFI in Harahan was recommended by Paretti's, will try calling them tomorrow. I have a gearbox issue (2005 built and only 50k miles), instead of changing down from 2nd to it changes up and goes into limp home mode and gearbox fault appears. If I stop and turn off the engine the fault light disappears and all goes back to normal. My mechanic here on N.Shore is good/straight, said there was an update for the computer controller and that might help with the fault otherwise its really gearbox hell. Seems JLR are the ones who are making the diagnostic tools uncompetitively priced for smaller shops to invest in and even Paretti's, a dealer, said same thing. Any bright ideas out there will be welcomed.

brgds

ethanvox (08-31-2022)
Old 08-30-2022, 06:44 PM

I have a good bodyshop here on the North Shore if that would suit, did some work on our XK8 after my wife had a minor disagreement with a fire hydrant...

ethanvox (08-31-2022)
Old 08-31-2022, 08:53 AM

No real bright ideas here unfortunately, it sounds to me like something a dealership would need to do. I've since brought my 08 XJ up to Westchester County NY and there are two JLR dealerships here that are able to work on it as normal. Maybe calling around to dealerships in nearby cities, if you're willing to have it trailered somewhere? Heard good things about Houston for example. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:04 AM
Default XK8 gearbox issue

Originally Posted by ethanvox
No real bright ideas here unfortunately, it sounds to me like something a dealership would need to do. I've since brought my 08 XJ up to Westchester County NY and there are two JLR dealerships here that are able to work on it as normal. Maybe calling around to dealerships in nearby cities, if you're willing to have it trailered somewhere? Heard good things about Houston for example. Good luck.
Thank you ethanvox, we brought her down to Louisiana from Norwalk 5 years ago and I'm beginning to wish we had not
Given the reliance on computers in our cars now I find it concerning that manaufacturers can effectively discourage ownership of their
older vehicles by making access/updates to the computer expensive and uncompetitive business-wise, even for their own dealers.

If anyone here is in the Houston area I hope they can chime in with comment(s), I certainly would consider trailering the car to get
it fixed - I think I will post on the nationwide section with my problem as I am convinced that there is a solution out there that does not involve paying for a new gearbox.

Cheers