US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

New Member From Jersey City / Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Member From Jersey City / Battery Question

I am a new member from Jersey City, NJ.

I have a 1999 Jaguar XK8 Convertible.

It gives me lots of headaches, but I've always thought this model was one of the most beautiful ever designed.

I've owned the car for 2-1/2 years and I've been a frequent reader of posts, but this is the first time I've posted myself.

I have two questions: what is the best battery to buy for a 1999 XK8? And where is a good place to buy one in the Jersey City area?

The memory on my windows keeps having to be reset, and I suspect that it might be my battery not being sufficiently strong. Does that seem likely to you?

Old 02-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Can't help you on where to source a new battery but your window problem is indicative of a failing battery.

You may also want to invest in a CTEK smart charger. When you do get a new battery make sure you charge it fully first before fitting to the car.

Jim

The following users liked this post:
Jersey City Jaguar (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does a CTEK Smarter Charger need to be plugged in to an electrical outlet?

I live in a row house and have no garage or driveway to pull my car into for charging. I need to park it on the street, and I often can't even find a spot on my block. Are there solar solutions to keeping the battery charged?

Old 02-07-2015, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

There is wiring in the trunk to be able to fit a 12v accessory socket. You can then run an appropriate battery tender from there.

You would have to remember to unplug it before driving.

The following users liked this post:
Jersey City Jaguar (02-07-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:58 AM
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jersey City. Most places like Auto Zone will test your existing battery and if bad they are not a bad place to get a new one. Jimbov8 makes a good point about making sure it is fully charged when you first install it.

If you have a trusted indy shop it would be the best place to have a battery replaced. It may cost a few bucks more but they can charge it before stalling it. Another thing to do is check your grounds both at the battery and where they connect to the chassis.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey City Jaguar
Does a CTEK Smarter Charger need to be plugged in to an electrical outlet?

I live in a row house and have no garage or driveway to pull my car into for charging. I need to park it on the street, and I often can't even find a spot on my block. Are there solar solutions to keeping the battery charged?
Welcome Jersey City! As a native JC guy myself, I feel your pain. Remember many a night coming home and "looking for a spot". There are a lot of good mechanics who could help you, as close to you as West Caldwell. Look at the thread on good mechanics, who could help you with a car that behaves such as you describe. I, for one, would make the drive to a great mechanic, vs. testing something on a "guesser". As for a battery, I don't know why an Autozone couldn't be the answer, as it is simple and to the point. Look on the forums and get your answers first so that when you go in, any nuances (not sure of any) such as placement, type etc. are solid in your mind, then make the moves.

Nice to know you are on, and the parking situation made me smile with memory, understanding and compassion to my life in the day in JC. BTW, I am a huge JC fan...... let nobody kid you.

Have a Happy Easter!

Old 04-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Welcome! Click the link in my signature for more info on chargers. There may be a solar option.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:10 AM
pcg
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New owner did some checking and math

I recently purchases a XKR Portfolio, fully equipped. Within a day I had a no start issue. I did some searching and here is what I found. When you unlock the vehicle, current jumps to 9.6 A, a healthy draw on a battery. When you lock it, the current drops to 1.6 amps for approximately 2 minutes and then shuts down to 0.12 mA. I purchases a Megatron MTP-93/T8 which was about double the cost of the local auto parts battery. Had to order it from a Interstate dealer. This battery is actually manufactured in Germany. Now the bad news. Most standard car batteries do not rate amp hours but past experience would say that a good battery should be at least 40AH. If someone has actual data, this would be helpful. If that number is close, the battery should support the vehicle for 2 weeks with a fresh battery. After 2 weeks you will be pushing your luck. If you are going flat in less time, you either have some other issue or a failing battery. My new battery is now wired for a deltran battery tender and lives on that when not in use. Mine is certainly not a daily driver so to keep the battery happy and long lasting, this is what needs to happen to eliminate the constant charge/discharge cycle. If the car sits for 2 weeks, then starts, this will shorten your battery life, even if it starts fine. The car actually has terminals for just such a connection so seems to not be a surprise to Jaguar. I certainly do not claim to be an expert here, just my personal observations and thought I would share. I should also add, all of the high line cars I have also suck battery, but not quite this quick. Love the car and if I throw a battery at it every two years, it's a no brainer for me but a float charger solves the problem (if you have power that is). I used to have a solar charger on my boat that simply plugged into the cigarette lighter, this should solve your issue.