US Southwest AZ, TX, NM, OK

New guy in Waco,tx

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy in Waco,tx

Hi all,
I just bought a '59 MK1 3.4 auto and a 86 XJS-12 at an auction here in Waco. Prior to moving to Texas, I worked for my Dad in Michigan restoring vintage cars, a great many of which were British sportscars. I think I did my first bodywork on an E-type when I was 8 or 9.

Long story short, both cars I bought are basket cases. I plan on parting out the XJS (I bought it for the front and rear suspension and the buckets). The MK1 will go one of two ways depending on the condition under the interior. My grandpa is a longtime streetrodder, so if it's not economically feasible to restore, it will be the first(that I can find) full custom MK1 in the states. On the otherhand, if the only rust is whats visible and the mechanicals miraculously can be revived, I'll restore and sell it.

Obviously, I'd love to make the 2-door hardtop version that lyons mocked up in the early '50s, but my bank account would like me to sell it.

I haven't even been able to pick them up yet, so further developments will be forthcoming as I get them home and start dis-assembly. I will say that both are complete, so if you're missing a piece from either, I could be persuaded to let them go. (save the grille in the MK1 and the aforementioned front and rear suspension in the XJS)

Old 08-31-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Welcome to the Forums. Poke around and see what other like-minded individuals and/or customers you might be able to find here. If you go the project or restoration route, we would love to hear of your progress.

Good luck, either way.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought the XJS home today. It's in better shape than I initially thought. It looks like it hasn't been driven since either 04 or 07, but it's only got 76k on the clock. The engine bumps over with ether, but I'm not getting any fuel. Spent a grand total of 20 minutes farting around with it, will play around more when I get time.

The interior is in good shape, but not perfect. the leather is (I hope) salvageable with no cracks, but it's starting to harden and a few seams have pulled. I've had good luck restoring older jaguar leather before, I hope this goes the same.

There is one (poorly) repaired ding in the front left fender flare, a push in the back edge of the passenger door and front edge of the B-post, and some minor rust on the lower inside edge of the boot lid. I see no rust or damage underneath, save for some trailer rash.

If anyone is interested in buying it as a project outright, I'd be willing to sell. I have no intention of getting it running to drive and as things stand now I still intend on taking the front and rear suspension. It's a good 99% rust free car, though, so I hate to break it up for no good reason. Ill take some pics tomorrow.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

You oughta post here:
XJS ( X27 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

if you want more opinions/advice. Good luck.