Wheels / Tires, Suspension & handling Wheels and Tires. Discuss sizes, fitments, offsets, profiles etc etc Discuss roll bars, springs, shocks etc for your Jaguar
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have Continental ExtremeContact DW tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Anyone have Continental ExtremeContact DW tires?

I'm leaning towards trying a set of these this spring, using the stock size, 255/45-17. I've read some people use a narrower tire to reduce tramlining but I'd like to try the stock size for my first replacement.

Has anyone used this tire? Experience? Opinions? I don't need the DWS as I have dedicated snow tires/wheels. Many thanks!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 PM

Anyone?

Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

I have a staggered set of 18s on my XKR, 245 front, 255 rear.

No issues with tramlining, they are reasonably quiet while still gripping pretty well. Only about 10k miles shofar, but wear has been good as well. One nice thing is that they are not directional, so can be rotated side to side.

All around I'm pretty happy. Good balance of price and performance.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience! That's exactly what I was looking for.

I want great handling tires but not at the expense of road noise or tramlining. I've been following the thread on the X300 sub-forum about using 235/50-17 tires on the factory XJR wheels which eliminate tramlining. I'm not sure what size I want now. Your XKR has different suspension setup so may be less sensitive to tire type.

I'm less concerned about tire wear than grip and noise. From your description it sound like a good fit for me.

Anyone else use these tires?

Old 03-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Continental Extreme Contact DW

JV-

I have the CEC DW's on my SuperV summer rims. Just placed them back on the car today and they feel softer and quiter than the Pirelli P6 all seasons on the winter wheels.

Thanks-

Attached Thumbnails Anyone have Continental ExtremeContact DW tires?-img_1033.jpg   Anyone have Continental ExtremeContact DW tires?-img_1034.jpg   Anyone have Continental ExtremeContact DW tires?-img_1032.jpg   Anyone have Continental ExtremeContact DW tires?-img_1036.jpg  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 PM

Nice wheels and tires! Your car is quite nice too......

Many thanks for the pics and your experience. This Jaguar specific information plus reviews on various tire websites have pretty much convinced me that these are the tires I'll try.

Now if only I could decide on factory or aftermarket wheels........ahh capitalism: the dilemma of choice!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Kyu
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jvitez
Nice wheels and tires! Your car is quite nice too......

Many thanks for the pics and your experience. This Jaguar specific information plus reviews on various tire websites have pretty much convinced me that these are the tires I'll try.

Now if only I could decide on factory or aftermarket wheels........ahh capitalism: the dilemma of choice!
I'm also stuck on debating to go aftermarket wheels or stick with the OEM's I have,
I'll update my posts if I find some good light weight forged wheels.

as for the tires, CEC DW I have not tried yet.
But I do have CEC DWS on my bmw and I'd have to say they are just amazing.
I prefer them over my previous supersports

I hear the CEC DW and DWS is very similar, so I'm planning on getting a set of DWS for my new jag as well

what's more appealing is not only the performance of the CEC but their price also ! they outlast my supersports and grip better with a softer comfort

The following users liked this post:
jvitez (03-19-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Kyu
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry for such a long delay on the response.
I didnt end up getting my wheels yet,

How ever I had the opportunity to test the very same tires you were looking for the DW

(I'm getting DWS)

And the DW's were great, they feel very sporty. if that makes any sense.
It was about 83 Degree's and on normal conditioned flat street roads, it felt much better than our OEM mich's

Obviously, the ride will feel the same as comfort level. It's just tires.
It looks like these guys are getting more milage out of them as well.

it felt stickier and grippier, if that makes any sense.

I'm definitely going to be happy with the DWS I ordered,

also the guys who let me try it out,
They told me some interesting facts,
they were on track for an event for their cars, and other Factory OEM track testing.
They specifically were specifically all using DW out of all the free tire choices.

And there was a lot of choices lol, but they all agree'd instead of slicks these DW's perform really well, and CEC DW is also official race tires for certain races. i thought slicks were offical race tires

Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 PM

Here's an update on my original post: I bought the Continental DW's. And......they're fantastic!

I bought them in 235/50-17 instead of 255/45-17 as per several other posts on this forum, and it completely eliminated tramlining!! Yay!!!! The tire is very quiet, comfortable, has superb dry weather traction, and handles extremely well. We had a few days of heavy rains recently but the Mrs. was driving the Jag so I wasn't able to find it's limits in the wet.

Unless the tire's characteristics change dramatically as it wears, I'm sold. I'll be happy to try these tires on other vehicles too. Thanks Continental!!

Old 09-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

I ran them on the STR and they are great all around tires. Very quiet and very good in rain.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:49 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

3 years on and I have to report in on my now 2nd set of DW Contis on my Forester. All the above is true, quiet, great ride, sticky, great in the wet, even wear, BUT, on my lightish Forester these can barely get 20k miles out of them. Still, about to swap out my Pilot MXMs on my S type for the contis, wear be damned. And I have the same 235s on my Sube as will go on the Stype.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a staggered set on my 2011 XF in 19" - I absolutely fell in love with them. Great wet and dry grip and a wonderful ride. I just wish they weren't so darn expensive...