X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 x type hub assembly replacement cheaper/easier then bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 x type hub assembly replacement cheaper/easier then bearing?

Hey guys,

So im finally getting around to fixing some of the minor issues with my jag that need to be addressed before the cold really hits.

Long story short, passenger front wheel bearing is bad, when i bought the car there was already a new bearing in the box in the trunk. I'm quite sure these are the type that need to be pressed in. My father has a press but he lives 2 hours away, so i called a few places to see what they' charge me. I got anywhere between 300-700. I had one guy tell me that you have to replace both sides and the hubs because they get brittle and often break/crack when you're pressing in the new bearings. Sounds silly to me, as ive done numerous of them on things like ford taurus etc that are pressed in an never had any problems with the hubs.

A quick google of 03 x type hub assembly comes up with this:
http://www.carparts.com/details/Jagu...OVoRoCWlXw_wcB

Is this indeed the entire hub assembly for the front passenger of an 03 x type? Because thats very cheap, and just bolting in a new hub is so much easier then fighting with the hub and bearing. Is this too good to be true?

I also read that for some jaguars, there is a jaguar specific tool to remove some type of pin/washer type thing having to do with the removal of the axle or hub or something. Is this also the case with the x type?

Again, thank you for any help! also pictures of the car, bought it for 2500, 141k.

Name:  1410466163021_zpsfb204e7f.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  38.8 KB

Old 10-14-2014, 02:14 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

The Hub assembly you have shown is for the Rear only.
If you can remove the front hub pep boys charged me $30 to press out the old and press in the new one.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the quick reply! I just called my local pep boys and they will do it for 40, which is fine by me. I'm glad I didn't buy that huh assembly only to find it was for the rear. So how hard is it to get the knuckle off? Just like any other car? Does my question about a jaguar specific tool being needed hold true?

Old 10-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I believe that you need to be certain it's put in the correct way b/c of the exciter ( abs / speed sensor ). It needs to face inside or outside , can't quite remember, and also be sure that they press it in with the correct press. If they use the squeeze it in it may damage some of the bearing.

Found this from another site illustrating the difference :

"The X-type uses double row ball bearings in the front, and they have the abs pulse generator ring built in as part of the outside oil seal.

Firstly if you do press in the bearings, you need the jag tools. they allow you to press the bearing without pushing too hard sideways on the *****. This is different than typical taper roller bearings.
If you press the bearing in.. (like any shop would) the life of the bearing will be shortened. it will work, but the side pressure will damage the bearing.

Secondly, if the bearing is in the wrong way around, it will give ABS no-go. (dsc too if you have it)

Thirdly,,, find a dealer tech that can get you the parts at a discount. and buy the entire front knuckle, It comes with the bearing pre-installed, and makes the job easy to do and guaranteed results. I paid about 300 from the dealer for one of my knuckles.. and then 150 via a tech.

Hope this helps.

I do suggest that you lower the front subframe about 3/4 of an inch ( only do one side of the car at a time to preserve your alignment)
with the front subframe lowered, it makes the ball joint way easier to get apart. Also if you pry the lower control arm downwards too hard, you may damage the liquid filled bushings.

I have had to have the front suspension apart a couple of times, and can get the knuckle out in less than an hour ...
You can get a new nut if you like, the dealers dont change it, even if the manual says you should. "

Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Replacing the entire front spindle (that includes the hub) assembly is much easier than doing the wheel bearing. Only a few bolts and about an hour of labor to do it with no special tools required.

Used one's on e-bay are running $55-$80

Old 10-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ltmax
Replacing the entire front spindle (that includes the hub) assembly is much easier than doing the wheel bearing. Only a few bolts and about an hour of labor to do it with no special tools required.

Used one's on e-bay are running $55-$80
Just want to be sure the used spindle's hub isn't worse than the one that's in there already !

Old 12-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A point of clarification here-the hub is what the wheel studs are in, and, it fits inside the knuckle...the bearing is in the knuckle. Removing the hub does not equate to bearing removal. You have to take the hub out and if the bearing were stuck on it, remove the bearing, but I'd suspect usually they are pressed/stuck in the knuckle or held in place by a retaining ring.

Talking front end stuff here, not rears.