Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > X-Type
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

X-Type 2001 - 2009

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #21  
Old 11-15-2013, 03:29 PM
clr525's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Qld Australia
Posts: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just a supplemental note, to those other members here down under, Penrite fully and semi synthetic ATFs are suitable, and meet all spec requirements for the 5 speed auto, but are not cheap, about $44 per 4 litres
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 AM
erhamm's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi all, same problem here. 2003 XType, Check Engine Light is on and blinks when the engine is extremely cold, cruise not available. If I try and accelerate too quickly the car bucks. Other than vacuum hoses and O Rings has anyone else found out what needs to be replaced?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-13-2014, 06:48 AM
alechkarudenko's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: florida
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

HI! I just purchased the 02 x type with 120k on it and cruise control was not available right away, I didn't know it can be something serious. I don't have the check engine light or anything but can the light be caused by transmission? as its making weird noise sometimes and you can feel it shifting from P to REAR or drive like a bump, it also highly vibrates on higher speed (50+). I know that local small dealership is never willing to fix it so shall I take where? its too expensive to take it to the dealer as car is not worth it. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-13-2014, 04:42 PM
Thermo's Avatar
Veteran member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Great Mills, MD
Posts: 8,184
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,678 Times in 1,445 Posts
Default

Alechka, first off, welcome to the Forums. I think you will find lots of very friendly people here that are willing to help you out. But, we do ask a small thing from you to help get you into the pride. Please stop by the New Member Section and tells us a little bit about yourself. We like to get to know one another and this also gives you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your car, you are most likely looking at a few different issues all at the same time. I guess the first thing that I would ask is what codes are in the engine computer. Your local auto parts store can read the codes for you and if you post them here, that will help get us rolling in the right direction. I can give you a laundry list of stuff to change in hopes that it will fix the issue. But, unless I know the codes and/or can get my hands on the car (not likely as I live in Maryland), I am taking some guesses as to what is wrong.

Now, with this all being said, lets start with the "Cruise Not Available" issue. If you open the hood of your car, you should see a big plastic cover over the engine. Remove the 3 screws holding it in place and remove it from the engine (most likely need to temporarily remove the oil cap to get the cover off). Now, if you look right in front of you, you should see a black box that says "JAGUAR" on it. Look to the right side of it and follow that big black hose to the right some. Where the black hose meets with the silver, metal part (the silver metal part is called the throttle body), look just to the left and that and you should see a hose there about the size of your thumb in diameter running from near the air box (the piece that says "JAGUAR" on it to the large silver piece covering the top of the engine (this is the intake). Is this hose smooth or is it ribbed (if you have to ask, it is the smooth hose)? if it is the smooth hose, remove the hose and look at the underside of the hose. I bet you will find a split in the hose. If so, you need a new hose (the hose is called a "PCV breather hose"). If you have the ribbed hose or this smooth hose looks fine, then I would next look at the throttlebody electrical connectors (these will be pointing towards the front bumper, one on each side of the black tube going to the throttle body). Do these look like they are in 1 piece or do they look like they are broken and missing pieces? If they look good, then odds are we are still looking at a bad hose, just not in this initial area. If they look bad, then I would try to push them back on to the throttle body to see if that helps anything out.

As for you vibration. Is the steering wheel wobbling back and forth when the car is vibrating or does the vibration feel like it is coming from under the driver's seat. If it is coming from under the driver's seat, odds are you have a carrier bearing that needs some TLC. It may be nothing more than something that can be fixed with a litlte bit of grease being injected into the bearing (if the grease doesn't take it away 100%, then you are most likely looking at needing a new carrier bearing). If the wobble is in the steering wheel, I would first get an alignment done on the car and have them inspect the tread closely for any signs of abnormal wear. If you are seeing abnormal wear, odds are you need new struts on the car and the wobble is caused by the tires not wearing properly. Otherwise, you are most likely looking at a rim or two (possibly more) that has gotten bent and the only way to fix the wobble is to get new rims for the car.

As for the tranny, this is not my forte. But, most of the problems people experience are solved by simply making sure the tranny has enough fluid in it. Low fluid can cause it to shift funny. After that, my advise would be to stop by a tranny shop and have them give it a quick look over.

Now you mention that you don't have the check engine light. If you insert the key to the RUN position and don't start the car, does the check engine light come on? If not, then odds are you have a bad CEL light and you really have a few codes in the ECU, but they are not being made aware to you. If you are getting the "Cruise Not Available" message, then the car is sensing an issue and should be throwing atleast 1 code.

Hope I didn't information overload you. As you see, we are more than willing to help you figure things out. But, you may be getting a little bit of grease under your fingernails too. But, if you don't want to pay top dollar to have your car worked on, diagnosing the car yourself is going to save a lot of money and make you a smarter car owner too.
__________________
Chris "Thermo" Coleman and K'Re Ann, the 03 X
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-17-2014, 11:50 AM
wazrun's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 43
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Had the same problem with my Jaguar when connected to the computer it say lean bank 1 and 2 something when cruise not available is usually the 02 sensor and IMT.

Mine got messed up bevause there was an antifreeze leak hitting on the o2 sensor. Fized the leak and sensors car running good.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-18-2014, 07:13 AM
alechkarudenko's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: florida
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo View Post
Alechka, first off, welcome to the Forums. I think you will find lots of very friendly people here that are willing to help you out. But, we do ask a small thing from you to help get you into the pride. Please stop by the New Member Section and tells us a little bit about yourself. We like to get to know one another and this also gives you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your car, you are most likely looking at a few different issues all at the same time. I guess the first thing that I would ask is what codes are in the engine computer. Your local auto parts store can read the codes for you and if you post them here, that will help get us rolling in the right direction. I can give you a laundry list of stuff to change in hopes that it will fix the issue. But, unless I know the codes and/or can get my hands on the car (not likely as I live in Maryland), I am taking some guesses as to what is wrong.

Now, with this all being said, lets start with the "Cruise Not Available" issue. If you open the hood of your car, you should see a big plastic cover over the engine. Remove the 3 screws holding it in place and remove it from the engine (most likely need to temporarily remove the oil cap to get the cover off). Now, if you look right in front of you, you should see a black box that says "JAGUAR" on it. Look to the right side of it and follow that big black hose to the right some. Where the black hose meets with the silver, metal part (the silver metal part is called the throttle body), look just to the left and that and you should see a hose there about the size of your thumb in diameter running from near the air box (the piece that says "JAGUAR" on it to the large silver piece covering the top of the engine (this is the intake). Is this hose smooth or is it ribbed (if you have to ask, it is the smooth hose)? if it is the smooth hose, remove the hose and look at the underside of the hose. I bet you will find a split in the hose. If so, you need a new hose (the hose is called a "PCV breather hose"). If you have the ribbed hose or this smooth hose looks fine, then I would next look at the throttlebody electrical connectors (these will be pointing towards the front bumper, one on each side of the black tube going to the throttle body). Do these look like they are in 1 piece or do they look like they are broken and missing pieces? If they look good, then odds are we are still looking at a bad hose, just not in this initial area. If they look bad, then I would try to push them back on to the throttle body to see if that helps anything out.

As for you vibration. Is the steering wheel wobbling back and forth when the car is vibrating or does the vibration feel like it is coming from under the driver's seat. If it is coming from under the driver's seat, odds are you have a carrier bearing that needs some TLC. It may be nothing more than something that can be fixed with a litlte bit of grease being injected into the bearing (if the grease doesn't take it away 100%, then you are most likely looking at needing a new carrier bearing). If the wobble is in the steering wheel, I would first get an alignment done on the car and have them inspect the tread closely for any signs of abnormal wear. If you are seeing abnormal wear, odds are you need new struts on the car and the wobble is caused by the tires not wearing properly. Otherwise, you are most likely looking at a rim or two (possibly more) that has gotten bent and the only way to fix the wobble is to get new rims for the car.

As for the tranny, this is not my forte. But, most of the problems people experience are solved by simply making sure the tranny has enough fluid in it. Low fluid can cause it to shift funny. After that, my advise would be to stop by a tranny shop and have them give it a quick look over.

Now you mention that you don't have the check engine light. If you insert the key to the RUN position and don't start the car, does the check engine light come on? If not, then odds are you have a bad CEL light and you really have a few codes in the ECU, but they are not being made aware to you. If you are getting the "Cruise Not Available" message, then the car is sensing an issue and should be throwing atleast 1 code.

Hope I didn't information overload you. As you see, we are more than willing to help you figure things out. But, you may be getting a little bit of grease under your fingernails too. But, if you don't want to pay top dollar to have your car worked on, diagnosing the car yourself is going to save a lot of money and make you a smarter car owner too.
Thank you so much for your help! It turned out the drive sheft was messed up wich caused the vibration, it might need u joint and some other stuff like bearing, rubber parts, but tranny is fine... But the car won't talk to the computer! So we can't find out what's going on with electronics, something is beeping all the time inside ... Computer problem? Mechanic doesn't know as it's not showing anything
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Brutal's Avatar
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sugar Land /Houston, Texas
Posts: 5,810
Thanked 1,089 Times in 770 Posts
BILL BRUTON
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alechkarudenko View Post
Thank you so much for your help! It turned out the drive sheft was messed up wich caused the vibration, it might need u joint and some other stuff like bearing, rubber parts, but tranny is fine... But the car won't talk to the computer! So we can't find out what's going on with electronics, something is beeping all the time inside ... Computer problem? Mechanic doesn't know as it's not showing anything
thermo is pretty much right on it. While your vibration may be driveshaft etc. Most no cruise is caused by a vacuum leak. And sometimes unless you're using a good scanner some generic ones will not read correctly or show codes that are there. Your "mechanic" know Jaguars? I meen really know them. If not you can easily spend way more money through parts and time on a car than going to a dealer or someone that KNOWS the car. You need to use a Jaguar scqanner to pull up issues with car that sometimes are not related to OBD2 coding, and sounds(to me) like your mechanic is clueless. Or maybe just the transferance of his thoughts to you and then to here.
But this goes to everyone out there. TAKE YOUR CAR TO SOMEONE THAT KNOWS AND HAS ALOT OF EXPERIANCE OF YOUR CAR REGARDLESS, QUIT GOING TO THESE ONE STOP I WORK ON IT ALL SHOPS!
Knowing the common issues saves alot of time and money. Cheaper does NOT = less cost in the long run. and I have a TON of stories to back this up all the time. keep us posted
__________________
Working for those that do not every day

Last edited by Brutal; 06-18-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-10-2014, 01:09 AM
bobzjag's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: redruth cornwall
Posts: 20
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default cruise light

Have you had an ECU update at jaguars? My 'cruise not available' light comes on intermittently as does my' phone not connected' light. This is all down to the update, had mine reset 3 times still have the problem from time to time, I turn off the engine remove the key, then restart
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for laying it out straight! Good detailed hints, very clear!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US
Posts: 20
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cruise Not Available

I had the "No Cruise Available" fault. I had to replace all these parts, all were bad.
Three main causes.
2002 Jaguar X type "Cruise not Available"-01.jpg

2002 Jaguar X type "Cruise not Available"-02.jpg

2002 Jaguar X type "Cruise not Available"-03.jpg

2002 Jaguar X type "Cruise not Available"-04.jpg

2002 Jaguar X type "Cruise not Available"-05.jpg

2002 Jaguar X type "Cruise not Available"-06.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Junior Member

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oxford, IN
Posts: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I agree with jet black, mine did this this past winter and when I changed the intake gaskets they looked fine, but it cured all the problems.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: idaho
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletrouble61 View Post
I agree with jet black, mine did this this past winter and when I changed the intake gaskets they looked fine, but it cured all the problems.
would youguys say that cruise not available only pertains to vaccum leaks ??? because i have it flashing along with the orange light. but i also have a CEL on for misfires. can the misfires cause the cruise not available ?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lititz PA
Posts: 243
Thanked 59 Times in 49 Posts
paulc732
Default

Just an FYI

I had a cruse not available and the bucking on hard acceleration.
Sprayed carb cleaner on all vac points as above no change in engine tone.
turned out to be a weak battery, go figure new battery solved the problem for me.
a quick trip to any parts store and have your battery checked if nothing else will eliminate that. Our cats need a good strong battery as the electronics use 12V instead of 5V like other cars. Thanks Jag Engineers(may have been the Ford guys getting one over on them though )
__________________
British by birth American by choice.
Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 PM
 
 
 
Reply



Tags
2002, 30, available, brand, cap, cost, cruise, gas, jaguar, light, oxygen, replacing, sensor, type, xk8, xtype, yellow



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Copyright © 2010 Internet Brands, Inc. All rights reserved.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
JAGUAR and its logo are the registered trademarks of Jaguar Cars Limited. Jaguar Cars Limited is not affiliated with JaguarForums.com.