X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aaaargh...Wheel damage!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Aaaargh...Wheel damage!

Have a slow leak in my passenger rear tire, and it was time for a rotation anyway, so I took the car to my long-time tire shop to hace the wheels changed and the leak attended to.

Long story short, the back side of the 'leakerr' rim has got two HUGE bashes in the lip.

Some quick geometry calculations in my head say BANG! then about 4½ feet later, a second 'BANG'. Yep, railroad tracks.

I could tell by the reaction of my wife exactly who the culprit was. "But I only hit them with the back wheel!"

I'll have to hit the local u-pull-it tomorrow to see if the have any x-types with the same wheels. Luckily, they are the ten-spoke 16-inchers, so my odds are good. I'll grab two, if they have them, and only be out $50 or so. Replace my full-size spare with one, plus a new tire for the spare.

We were going to put the spare on today, and send the wheel to the refinisher to have it fixed (about $100), but realized that the spare is now 12 years old, and since we have a hospital trip this week, I can't trust it to get me down and back if the factory wheel isn't back.

I must offer credit to the Mastercaft tires that are on there, though. Still on the rim, no broken sidewall or belts. The Contis would NOT survive my wife's (ahem...) driving.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:02 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

wa3ra: Check eBay for replacement rims. I bought two refurbished rims for my 2002 X-Type for ~$125 each. The previous owner bent two rims, which I'm told is more common that you'd expect. Particularly for thinner aluminum rims on European performance cars. When getting my tires rotated & balanced, I now watch for even slightly out-or-round rims.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
wa3ra (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 11:52 PM

I can actually get new ones for $133, which is why I hesitate to par a c-note to repair one!

The roads here cannot be believed, they are so bad...but I can miss the chuckholes, and I slow down for RR crossings...now if I could just get someone else to do the same!

JimC64 (09-05-2014)
Old 08-31-2014, 01:06 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Look on the bright side: Only the bottom of the wheels are bent. Otherwise, they're still mostly round!!!

On a more serious note, the prior owner of my 2002 X-Type cracked a wheel and had it welded by a repair shop - rather tricky considering they welded relatively thin aluminum. But the wheel was still slightly out-of-round, and the local tire store (of a national chain) did not want the liability of rotating and balancing a welding wheel. So my obvious and only choice was to replace it, along with a 2nd slightly bent wheel.

Don't assume the tire shop will inspect your wheels and warn you if they're out-of-round. The same tire shop rotated and balanced these tires several times before one astute technician finally noticed and told me the cracked wheel had a weld repair by the former owner of the car. Ever since, when the tires are rotated & balanced I watch closely to ensure my wheels remaining true.

Good luck.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:01 AM

Very true!

Luckily, the shop I frequent checks them carefully...and they use real torque wrenches to put them back on. They will even use anti-seize if the manufacturer calls for it...and they know that the Jag spec is 76 lb/ft dry, rather than the 100 lb/ft of every other car I've ever owned does.

I learned about out of rounds way back...I owned one of the pre-production Shelby Chargers, and those very pretty car show wheels were so thin, with the right light, you could probably have read through them!

Yep, I've seen tire guys that would send a wheel out with more tire weights than rubber on it!

I warned dear wife about the rims when we got the car...oh well!

Old 08-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wa3ra
Share the wealth. Where can we get the new ones for $133?

Old 08-31-2014, 08:49 PM

Not really a wealth...they are the 16 x 6.5 10-spokes, Regular prices are in that neighborhood, anyway; Action Crash Parts Part Number: 650-04030226 is actually a few dollars less, AllFactoryWheels has them for $145.

It is almost funny, you can actually pay more for the refurbs!

Jag still wants $446 for them, but hunt around. The supply is good, and the demand is low!

Dis the 100-mile round trip to the boneyard today, picked up one with some road rash on the spokes, and one that looks like it never left the trunk since the car was born (with a very toasty unused factory conti tire)...the buyer apparently bought a factory alloy for the spare and never used it...$40 for the pair. Add the gas, the time for me to dremel , buff, and airbrush the rough one, and I still have a pair for under a buck and a quarter, Well, I guess I have to add the couple of bucks to have the Conti pulled and disposed of.

Waiting on the new lug nuts, too. I need to get a 22mm deep socket to replace that factory piece of trash wrench, but the 12 x 1.5 mag seat nuts for Toyotas fit perfectly. They are one-piece nuts, with an attached washer. The only considerations are that you need the larger socket, and they don't stick out as far as the two-piece POSes from Jag (37mm v 44mm, about a quarter of an inch difference).

Lcgi (09-05-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 09:34 PM

Glad I waited to buy the socket...they are 21mm!

Perfect fit, and actually look better than the factory trash nuts!

Old 09-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

I have a few sets of rims if anyone is looking. I have 16s and 17s. I can ship them with some nicks and scratches or I can have them redone and look like new. Prices vary from work that needs to be done per rim.
PM me and we can talk

Thanks,
The DR!

Old 09-06-2014, 11:02 PM

Stick a fork in this one, it's done.

I'm not sure if this wheel is out of round or out of square! The rim could be fixed. That 25cm long crack, not so much!

Attached Thumbnails Aaaargh...Wheel damage!-img_0851.jpg  
Old 09-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Why not go after market? These are a good price. Good looking too...
Drag Wheels Dr 43 17x8 5x108 ET40 CB73 Flat Black Full Rim Jaguar s Type x Type | eBay

Old 09-07-2014, 01:55 PM

Because of family circumstances, I have to do things as inexpensively and effectively as I can.

Aftermarket wheels and tires would be nice, but unfortunately not in the picture. Incidentally, those very sweet looking rims would not survive a week on the roads in my area...our roads make Manhattan streets look like fresh pavement...seriously, my city's streets are pathetic!

Old 09-07-2014, 04:13 PM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by wa3ra
Not really a wealth...they are the 16 x 6.5 10-spokes, Regular prices are in that neighborhood, anyway; Action Crash Parts Part Number: 650-04030226 is actually a few dollars less, AllFactoryWheels has them for $145.

It is almost funny, you can actually pay more for the refurbs!

Jag still wants $446 for them, but hunt around. The supply is good, and the demand is low!

Dis the 100-mile round trip to the boneyard today, picked up one with some road rash on the spokes, and one that looks like it never left the trunk since the car was born (with a very toasty unused factory conti tire)...the buyer apparently bought a factory alloy for the spare and never used it...$40 for the pair. Add the gas, the time for me to dremel , buff, and airbrush the rough one, and I still have a pair for under a buck and a quarter, Well, I guess I have to add the couple of bucks to have the Conti pulled and disposed of.

Waiting on the new lug nuts, too. I need to get a 22mm deep socket to replace that factory piece of trash wrench, but the 12 x 1.5 mag seat nuts for Toyotas fit perfectly. They are one-piece nuts, with an attached washer. The only considerations are that you need the larger socket, and they don't stick out as far as the two-piece POSes from Jag (37mm v 44mm, about a quarter of an inch difference).
Do you happen to have a link to those Toyota nuts ?

Old 09-07-2014, 09:09 PM
myexcursion (09-08-2014)