X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

airbag light flash code 33

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag light flash code 33

The airbag light on the drivers console is flashing. It appears to be code 33 based on the flashing.

Its worth noting that my seat belt retractor is not working quite right. The seat belt is always loose.

My research indicates this code is for the drivers side seatbelt retractor/pretensioner fault.

Is there a way to fix this without having to purchase a new seat belt and associated electronics? And what precautions can I take so that I dont accidentally deploy an airbag while trying to troubleshoot/repair the seatbelt issue?

Old 09-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

gmc, based on what you are describing, you will end up replacing the seat belt retractor at some point. I would start looking at the recycling yards and seeing what you can find there. Take a look at this: 02 03 04 Jaguar x Type Seat Belt Assm Driver Retractor | eBay. This is on e-bay. But, for the money, probably not a bad deal. Then it is just a matter of matching up the color.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:43 PM

I was looking through the trunk and I magically found 2 used seatbelts (left and right)......they are even the right color.

I guess the previous owner was going to replace them but never got around to it.

Is there a special method to installing a seat belt so that I dont accidentally deploy an airbag?

Last edited by gmcgough; 09-15-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran member

GMC, if you are really worried about it, before you start, disconnect the battery (both posts) and then let the car sit for 5 minutes. This will allow any residual power to be bled off. From there, short of hitting the airbag with a hammer, they are not going to pop on you. Just don't be driving a screw driver through the airbags and you will be just fine.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:29 PM

Update

I found 2 extra seat belts stashed in the trunk of my car. One for the drivers side and one for the passenger side.

I installed the drivers side seatbelt with one of these spares. And I had the same issue.

So I electrically installed the spare passenger side seat belt on drivers side. And I had the same issue.

The issue is that the instrument panel display shows the flashing safety restraint system light on the dash. The pattern is 3 quick flashes, pause, 3 quick flashes, pause, etc... After a few minutes the dash light goes on solid.

I had assumed I had a 33 code......but now I am not sure. Is it just a single 3 code?

Perhaps its not the drivers door? Could it be a different door? Could it be something different entirely? Could it somehow be associated with my likely malfunctioning ABS control module?

Can someone clue me in as to diagnosing this light please. As long as that light is illuminated on my dash I assume I dont have functional airbags.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

GMC, when the light flashes, does it flash ten counts of 3 flashes or five counts of 3 flashes? If it is 10 counts of 3 flashes, then it is code 33, if it is five counts of 3 flashes, then it is code 3.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:58 AM

It is 10 counts of 3 flashes. How do I pinpoint the cause of a 33 code?

Old 09-23-2014, 01:33 PM
Veteran member

GMC, check out: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-repair-76060/

You might find this to be helpful. This might be one of those things that spending a few bucks on some 2.1 or 2.2 ohm resistors might prove to be very helpful. The above topic will explain why I say that.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:27 PM

OK....the confusion begins. Orginally I thought there was only 1 pretensioner per seatbelt. Can I assume there actually 2? One at the seat belt spool that pulls in the slack from the webbing. And the 2nd at the seat belt buckle?

Does the flashing 33 code point to a particular pretensioner? It would appear I have lots of pretensioners if you count the drivers seat, passenger seat and the 3 seatbelts in the back seat. Which one is at fault?

I cant seem to find any online detail about the flashing code 33.

I know where I can get the seat belt buckle pretensioners from a junkyard 2003 x-type. Are they interchangable with my late model 2004 X-type buckle pretensioners?

The devil in the details. :-)

Old 08-07-2020, 12:12 PM

Had error code 3 and 4 flashing on dash. This equates to Passenger side front Safety belt pretensioner circuit fault. Purchased a second hand Passenger side front pretensioner from a quality seller on ebay 100% positive feedback.

So disconnected battery and waited 5 minutes (Jaguar manual states 1 minute). Pushed seat back and Removed the two front bolts holding down the front passenger side seat, then pulled seat forward to show back cover covering the 4 front passenger side seat bolts, removed this cover, and then removed these bolts, From front of seat tipped seat backwards to I could see the two pretensioner wire that go into the connector at the front of the seat. then got my new pretensioner out of the box, and compared it to the one I had in my car, I had ordered the wrong colour, my car has a black one, the one I had ordered was sable in colour. So I decided to disconnect the two pretensioner cables from the front connector, just incase there was a faulty connection, did this then put everything back in reverse order. Connected the battery and switched on the ignition. To my amazement the error code changed from 34 to 33, this indicates that the Front drivers side safety belt pretensioner circuit was at fault. So did exactly the same with the front seat, disconnecting the battery and waiting 5 minutes then removing bolts and then discounnecting the two pretensioners from the front connector, put everything back in reverse order. connected the battery again, and to my amazement I did not have any codes flashing, so it was just a loose connection under both seats. Hope this helps some one.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:53 PM
Default Jaguar x type error code 33 or 34

[QUOTE=gmcgough;1063618]Update

I found 2 extra seat belts stashed in the trunk of my car. One for the drivers side and one for the passenger side.

I installed the drivers side seatbelt with one of these spares. And I had the same issue.

So I electrically installed the spare passenger side seat belt on drivers side. And I had the same issue.

The issue is that the instrument panel display shows the flashing safety restraint system light on the dash. The pattern is 3 quick flashes, pause, 3 quick flashes, pause, etc...Had error code 3 and 4 flashing on dash. This equates to Passenger side front Safety belt pretensioner circuit fault. Purchased a second hand Passenger side front pretensioner from a quality seller on ebay 100% positive feedback.

So disconnected battery and waited 5 minutes (Jaguar manual states 1 minute). Pushed seat back and Removed the two front bolts holding down the front passenger side seat, then pulled seat forward to show back cover covering the 4 front passenger side seat bolts, removed this cover, and then removed these bolts, From front of seat tipped seat backwards to I could see the two pretensioner wire that go into the connector at the front of the seat. then got my new pretensioner out of the box, and compared it to the one I had in my car, I had ordered the wrong colour, my car has a black one, the one I had ordered was sable in colour. So I decided to disconnect the two pretensioner cables from the front connector, just incase there was a faulty connection, did this then put everything back in reverse order. Connected the battery and switched on the ignition. To my amazement the error code changed from 34 to 33, this indicates that the Front drivers side safety belt pretensioner circuit was at fault. So did exactly the same with the front seat, disconnecting the battery and waiting 5 minutes then removing bolts and then discounnecting the two pretensioners from the front connector, put everything back in reverse order. connected the battery again, and to my amazement I did not have any codes flashing, so it was just a loose connection under both seats. Hope this helps some one.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:38 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Code 34 is low resistance in drivers side airbag module. You’ve got some deciding to do. A) you can pull your steering wheel apart, clean all the contacts, and hope the light goes away, or b) accept the inevitable that 20+ year old airbags are a crapshoot at best, and disable them and the light by pulling the airbag module.

Kodi nox

Last edited by benmickel; 09-06-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 01:45 PM

Code 34 on a Jaguar X type 2007, equates to Passenger side front Safety belt pretensioner circuit fault. I have the full Jaguar Service Manual, and that is what it says!