X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp? Stereo? Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile Amp? Stereo? Speakers?

Haven't posted in a while but would like to fix a problem with my X type 2002's audio system.

Was having some navigation issues a while back and got that fixed by utilizing some posts here. THANKS!

Anyhow after getting the screen working on the NAv the volume on the stereo is like a no show since. Turning it up to the max 35 and can just barely hear the radio? Just today took it to a audio pro and they want 3 hours to look it over at a rate of 60 bucks. But they said something rather interesting even if I don't use them. After looking and listening for just a minute and checking the amp in the boot he said the problem is usually either 70% Amp, 20% radio or 1% speakers.
Does that sound right to you audio guys on here??

Would really like to get this fixed, should I just buy an ebay amp or new one swap out and see what that does? Or should I open up the car and double check all the fuses? Oh and which ones?

Is there a process to test the amp out of car with a ohm meter??

Anyhow thanks for any help! Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Geewilicurs

Old 11-29-2014, 01:49 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Geewilicurs, I'm not too savvy with the troubleshooting aspect when it comes to stock systems so I'm of no help there. But I do know that you can't just replace the stock amp with another "any old amp" off of eBay, unfortunately.

The stock amps in most premium systems are designed with low impedance to work with low impedance speakers which allows for maximum wattage distribution. In other words if an amp pushes near 500 watts at low impedance to speakers designed to require low impedance, then the amp can theoretically power 2 small subs at 50 watts + 4 sets of components requiring 80ish watts a piece. This is usually less of a load on the amp, since if the opposite was the case the higher the ohm or impedance the more it has to work, so with lower impedance it maximizes the power distribution to multiple speakers requiring little power. The downfall is that the speakers will never handle high volume without distorting.

So in a nutshell, assuming you're running the stock speakers, you'll want to find out if the stock speakers are low impedance designed to work with a low impedance amp. If you have hooked up aftermarket speakers to the existing sock wiring it would cause limited sound quality.

The following users liked this post:
geewilicurs (04-18-2017)