X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad transmission or transfer case?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad transmission or transfer case?

My Son was driving the Jag and it started vibrating badly and and lost forward motion. Short story, trailered it home. No drive in any direction or gear. If I jack it up and spin a wheel, the other wheel has slight turning attempt like a standard differential. With this style of transfer case shouldn't the rear drive shaft appear to want to turn also? The impression I have is that the output of the transmission is not driving anything. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Peabody87
My Son was driving the Jag ...
The #1 cause of tranny or Transfer Case failure is "goosing" the car.

sorry.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback but when I first got to the car and moved it into gear, it made noises that I tried not to duplicate. At the point I put it back in park, it acted like it had to coast down before the parking pawl engaged. My Son made the comment it felt like it skipped a couple times before. I am not sure what his definition meant as he takes after his Mother. Tomorrow I will start to pull the transmission out. Do I read the manual correctly that the sub frame comes down and does not actually support the motor? I understand I need to hook a engine bay hanger to hold the motor up when I pull the transmission. Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

I pulled my trans out a little over a month ago. It was a pain but not all that complex. The hardest part was getting the transfer case out and after that it's pretty easy. I just used a floor jack and ratchet strap to hold up the engine and didn't use any special lift or engine support. The transmission swap bulletin was a great help and I put all the info and some great pics on one of my earlier posts.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t=transmission

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 06-04-2014, 07:47 AM

Thank you for your response. I have reviewed your posts as some of my pre- work. I have the engine support bar so I will proceed. I was trying to confirm and it looks like I am right that the sub frame is more of a stiffener for the chassis and does not actually support the engine or trans. I will let people know what I find. Best sound description I could give is that the final drive output of the trans might have broken gears. If this was a rear wheel drive standard axle I would say it sounds like some teeth got knocked off of the pinion gear.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:39 AM

Before you go through all that trouble, you may want to drop the driveshaft, and pull the rear section of the transfer case off. It's only a few bolts and you may get lucky and actually find out what the problem is without having to take it all apart.

Good luck.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:58 AM

So now i know why the car would not move. Next decision, part out the car, replace with used transfer case or convert to small block ford five speed rear wheel drive. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Any one want to buy a clean Jag for parts? Sorry about the focus, camera phone.

Attached Thumbnails Bad transmission or transfer case?-20140618_113233_resized.jpg   Bad transmission or transfer case?-20140618_113108_resized_1.jpg  
Old 06-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

It's broke! Did you do any TC oil changes? Was there any warning prior to destruction?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:14 PM

Used transfer cases are plentiful on E-Bay, you already did the hard part getting the old one out.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hi all just a quick question my gearbox is shot and i am going to drop it out soon and repair it i saw this in the jag manual what does this involve CAUTION: When replacing or installing a new automatic transaxle. The transaxle control module (TCM) adaptation procedure must be
carried out using the Jaguar approved diagnostic system using software issue 19 or higher, where available. If the Jaguar approved
diagnostic system is not available the TCM must be replaced. Failure to follow this instruction will result in damage to the automatic
transaxle.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 AM

From the research I did before replacing mine, if you are swapping out units from the same year car with the same trans and engine you won't have any problems. Reprogramming is necessary if you try and put a different unit from another year or model type.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:10 PM

i plan on dropping the gearbox out fitting new set of clutch plates maybe get the valve body overhauled and then replace so i should be ok then??

Old 06-22-2014, 07:38 PM

If you are rebuilding your unit then you won't have any problems at all.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:11 AM

thanks will be starting it soon and will post pictures of my adventure

The following users liked this post:
Justicejamesb (06-29-2014)
Old 06-29-2014, 02:17 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Tell us where you get the rebuild kit for the transfer case and how much, please!!!

Old 06-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

They sell for £150 in the UK so maybe 255 USD or less if you can find one

However, couple of people have raised concerns

" As far as 'rebuilt' units are concerned, Jaguar have never published the technical specs for the tc, therefore anyone who rebuilds one is guessing at pre-load torque specs - risky. "

2004 Jaguar X-Type Transfer Case problem - Car Talk

Also

Transfer Box rebuild kit

Old 07-01-2014, 11:09 AM

I think that sounds like the electronic transfer case in the newer models. I think 2002 ans 2003 are the non electronic style.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

There were no electronic transfer boxes fitted to any X Types by Jaguar! The early ones incorporate a viscous coupling that locks outputs to front and rear wheels if there is any significant speed difference between them. Post MY2004 the VC was discontinued and the box strengthened to improve on a tendency for the early ones to crack. Both types of boxes are interchangeable. If a post MY2004 car was fitted with DSC (and not all were - I've got one!) then that system can do a similar job to the VC of the earlier cars. That may have given rise to the mistaken idea of an electronic T Box

Last edited by astromorg; 07-01-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:07 AM

Update. I replaced the transfer case with a salvage yard unit. I did not like the way the output shaft turned on the replacement unit so I took it apart first. The output bearings were starting to gall and there was not much fluid inside with some gunk. I replaced the bearings and I did not torque them as tight as Jag specs. I went by feel of the turning and backlash feel. Car runs and drives good now. While putting it back together I found a split in the hose under the air cleaner housing that runs from the Throttle body area to the valve cover for breathing. This solved my check engine light for lean cylinders that I could not find earlier.

Quick Reply: Bad transmission or transfer case?