X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonnet leaper on an european X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Bonnet leaper on an european X-Type

Hi guys. I was wondering, is there a way to mount a bonnet leaper on an european X-TYPE that doesn't have it as standard? There is no hole on bonnet, at least not on the outside, and it would be a shame to drill unless I have to. Even more of a pity to buy an entire bonnet just to get a leaper on. Any ideas, anyone from Europe with a solution?

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (04-16-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I've fitted one on mine with just 3M automotive dual-sided tape. Has stayed on for nearly half a year now without issues, that tape is horribly strong. The only real challenge is measuring the proper location as there are no holes to guide you with placement.

The one I have is a knock-off leaper with a flat base, got it on eBay. The quality might not be as good as an original, though. The originals should be fairly easy to modify to have a flat base, some members on the Finnish Jaguar forum have done so.

Stuart Beattie (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How does it cope with car washing? I'm not talking machine brushes and all that, but regular washes, de-greasing etc? I'm constantly keeping it clean since the roads always tend to be wet or dusty. And what about auto inspections? Doesn't the EU regulations state that it has to be spring loaded?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

The leaper itself that I have is mounted on the base with a spring. It actually moves around with a lighter touch than the OEM one, though it doesn't snap off completely.

I don't go to machine washes anymore, but I have my car hand-washed about once a month and so far there haven't been any issues. As far as I know, the 3M tape is what car manufacturers use to fit badges, side mouldings, small trunk lid spoilers, etc.

I have our equivalent of MOT in about two months and I'm not expecting any issues. Some here have passed MOT even with a completely solid leaper, but I don't want those as I'm not looking to skewer anyone

Old 04-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fitted a leaper to mine, hardest part is drilling the hole in the bonnet. I marked where the hole is to be drilled, stuck some insulating tape over the part to be drilled then turned the drill by hand to stop it sliding before starting the drill. If I remember correctly my leaper needed 2 holes in the bonnet as i bought one of ebay with the spring fitted. A bit scarey but worth it in the end

Stuart Beattie (04-21-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tonys
Fitted a leaper to mine, hardest part is drilling the hole in the bonnet. I marked where the hole is to be drilled, stuck some insulating tape over the part to be drilled then turned the drill by hand to stop it sliding before starting the drill. If I remember correctly my leaper needed 2 holes in the bonnet as i bought one of ebay with the spring fitted. A bit scarey but worth it in the end
Yes, two holes if mounting the EOM type - the larger, about 1/2" diameter to accept the support opening that the cable passes through and smaller one just behind that accepts a nubbin on the base to hold the leaper assembly in allignment. even Jaguar uses an adhesive of some sort to secure the leaper's base to the bonnet.

Here's an link to my illustrated post regarding the re-installation of mine that went missing when the cable rusted through. It may give you a bit insight with your project. The difference would be that you'd have to drill the holes if installing an OEM-type leaper:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...trated-114254/

If legal... Good Luck!

Last edited by timetraveler1; 04-20-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Stuart Beattie (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Bonnet leaper on an european X-Type-flat-550x550-075-f.jpg