X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I remove my faulty Jaguar Xtype Climate Control Module and just drive without?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow Can I remove my faulty Jaguar Xtype Climate Control Module and just drive without?

I have been getting code p1699. Which means P1699 is a CAN Bus failure. Such as the A/CCM or ECM. It has been making a long beep when I start the car for the last year. Just recently sometimes it would work and other it would not. Blow cold air when hot and hot when turned to cold. On my 2003 Jaguar xtype it has lights on the defrost back and defrost front. Those started to stay on when I turned car off. I unplugged battery and reconnected it and started it. No lights came on and neither did ac. Next day battery drained. Wonder if I can remove the entire Climate control module and just drive without it?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Renegade, you should be able to drive with the module out of the car. It will most likely give you an error code saying that it senses an error with the unit (duh). I would just put a cloth bad or something of the like over the connector to make sure that it doesn't make accidental contact with something inside the dash, leading to other problems.

The computer systems of these cars are designed around loosing 1 item and still making it able to drive the car (there are a few exceptions, but those are fairly obvious). So, this shouldn't be a problem. Where this can be a little hairy though is the system is designed around overcoming a single failure, not multiple. So, with the CCM out, if you get another problem, it may be the one that "breaks the camel's back" as the saying goes. Something minor can now leave you stranded. So, I do not recommend driving this way for an extended period of time.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Renegade, I note Thermo's comments, but an additional factor you should bear in mind is that the CAN system that runs throughout the vehicle to allow a multitude of modules to talk to each other, depends on the Climate Control Module to connect the system to the J Gate (if you're autobox) and the Instrument Cluster. The Instrument Cluster is also the hub point for the other network systems.

Unless you make up a connection for the break in the CAN I think you'll be in trouble.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:14 PM

I just ordered another off ebay. Im trying to find my drain. I have been having problems with my jag so I kinda just let her sit for like 2 months only driving once ever 2 weeks(rain days) while I rode my cbr. Now its cold. Before i stopped driving her she gave code p1699. As I said above took her to work one day and the defrost and defrost back lights refused to go off even when keys are in my hand. The ac cuts on and makes beep noises whenever it wants to. Recharged battery at autozone and let it sit for a week in garage before I put it in car and today all I got was click pause click for as long as I tried to start it. AC still in there until I get new part. She should atleast start. Only other thing I did was spray the battery and battery terminals with the stuff autozone gave me to get them clean from all that rust/crap on em. Any ideas?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

As you've now got a replacement CC module on the way, best thing would be to fit it and see where that takes you.

As for current drain, the X Type, in proper working order, has a drain of about 30mA with the car shut down and locked. It takes about 30 minutes after locking the car for all the systems to shut down/hibernate and get down to that 30mA. Check it.

Finally, if your battery is not tip top order you'll get all sorts of problems. If in doubt, change it!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:47 AM
Talking Fixed

Ok guys I need to close this and a few other threads before end of year of problems I had fixed on my jag throughout the year. The unit ACC which was giving me code p1699 and caused a emmision test fail was fixed and now no CEL. It was caused be a faulty ACC Unit. I figured it had to be unit due to radio working and so did seat butt warmers. Only thing between them is that unit and it had power issues and came on and off as it pleased. Bought another unit USED off ebay for only 25 bucks THATS WITH SHIPPING. Emissions people check paper work and asked where it was fixed (has to be done professionally by mechanic) so I signed Home garage mech shop. TAKE THAT.. NO CEL's

Old 11-26-2014, 04:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the cc module also cause gremlins to come on the dash as well? And cause other electrical issues?

Old 11-26-2014, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the cc module also cause gremlins to come on the dash as well? And cause other electrical issues?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

manuel, it is possible. When you start affecting how the signals travel on the CAN Bus, it can cause really strange stuff to happen.