X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x-type rubbish hose clamps

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default x-type rubbish hose clamps

had my xtype for 2 weeks, came home late and power steering went erratic when turning corner, crawled home and found lots of red fluid pouring under car, it was dark and assumed it was power steering fluid or transmission fluid.
phone dealer next morning, had to wait for "the boss" to get in 1 hours time.
so wnet for a look see, and after a short time noticed coolant tank empty
so it was coolant not transmission fluid..hoorah!
after topping up and looking , removed air filter and bracket under neath and found a coolant hose about 40mm dia had come off, one of those spring clamps
so swapped it for a screw clamp and all is well, dealer very releived too I guess.
this may be a hose worth checking as it cannot be seen until all the above is removed.
so far all going well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Razor:
Lcgi (10-11-2012), MRomanik (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

thanks for the update on your xtype! Just know that you CAN fix everything on this car pretty easily and it looks like you got the diesel which is seen to be a bit more reliable than the petrol versions! The coolant expansion tanks on these vehicles tend to actually fail and crack due to those little hose clamps that you are speaking of.... They are most definitely something that wears out over time on the xtypes

Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Not sure that the UK (where there are stacks of diesels as well as petrol) forums would support the view that the diesel X Types are more reliable than the petrol ones. Seems to me the diesel ones are plagued by EGR valves coking up, DMF/clutch failures and oil and water thermostat giving up. Injecor problems need a bank loan to fix!! No statistics to back all that up, but you get feel for those problems that keep coming up!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default diesel reliability

Thanks astromorg for your comments, I havent had it long enough to comment on reliability yet.
But unlike the UK our weather is a lot drier and the distances driven are usually less stop start .
I have noticed on the MX5 forum in the UK they all have problems with water ingress etc, electrics failing , rust etc
But here in south Australia that doesnt happen and they are one of the most reliable cars on the road.
Hopefully the Jag will be too, I guess if you keep the maintenace up less will go wrong (I hope)
the only negative I have on the X Type so far is the slight vibration from the diesel, which I'm told is normal and I am getting used to it.
I have always steered away from a front tugger too, but I must admit it handles wonderfully in our hills.
Only mod I have done so far is have all the windows tinted, but my next little mod is installing a 12v socket in the boot , and have found a couple of suggestions on this forum with wire colours etc but they only refer up to 2004 models I cannot find any details on a 2009 so if anyone can help with where theres a spare wire or connector in the boot I can use i would be most gratefull

Old 10-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

The details for the rear accessory connector didn't change from 2004 to 2009. Earth/ground wire - Black, Battery Supply - Brown, Ignition Switched supply - Brown/Green. The connector is clipped to the bodywork behind the CD Player etc on the lefthand side behind boot/trunk liner, towards the tail light fitting.