Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Accessory Belt, Headlight adjusters, flushing coolant, etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing Accessory Belt, Headlight adjusters, flushing coolant, etc

Hi friends
I am having some vacation days, so I am going to relax working on my Jag....
I will take this opportunity to try to take some pics and do some DIY guides to everything I change in the car
So, some advice needed before rolling up my sleeves
Accessory belt:
I know the best/only way is to jack up the car, remove the front right wheel and wheel cover and then pull the tensioner, remove the old belt and fit the new one, then release the tensioner.
Something puzzled me in the workshop manual were they say to undo a tentioner bolt ??? is this realy necessary? It wasn't for the water pump belt.
As for parts I think it is C2S24900 for Jag and 6PK2465 for Bando. Dayco gives the same PN as OEM (maybe they supply it ).
Headlight adjusters:
My left side is busted, so because I need to remove the bumper I will change them both...
Ordered this from ebay
Jaguar X-type headlamp repair kit adjuster 2 SETS + GEARS | eBay
and also this
Jaguar headlight washer X-Type S-Type cover cruciform (1x PAIR) | eBay
there are a couple of very nice youtube videos that give you a step by step howto change them.
Coolant flush:
So, tell me if something is wrong here.
take the cap from the expansion tank
take the " purge bolt" from the radiator, let the coolant out, put the plug in.
replace with new coolant WSS M97B44D, and put the cap on.
Run the car with AC on and max temp and then do it again a couple of times.
Is this correct ????

Also, having the front bumper off is there something I can do while it is out?

I appreciate any inputs

Regards

Last edited by amcastro1; 03-26-2015 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:42 AM

No inputs!!!!!
I REALLY need some advice in the tensioner bolt part......

Old 03-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

While you have the front bumper off.
may be a good time to change your steering fluid as you have access to the steering fluid cooler lines.
Also HID upgrade?
If your flushing the radiator its a good time to clean your condenser.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:13 PM

Hi Paul.
Thanks for your feedback.
HIDs came stock so no need to do them
do you know the procedure to change the steering fluid? If I do it I have to put the additive again right?

Regards

Old 03-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

All I did for mine was disconnect the hose at the cooler turned the wheel lock to lock to get the most fluid out. reconnected the hose and then topped up the fluid.
sorry cant remember the spec of the fluid. I did not add any additive.
that was 2 years ago and she is doing fine.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

You don't need to loosen any bolts to change the serpentine belt, aka, accessory belt. You simply rotate the spring-loaded tensioner to loosen and remove the belt (see #5 in attached pic).

Changing Accessory Belt, Headlight adjusters, flushing coolant, etc-x-type-serpentine-belt.jpg

The tensioner spring is strong, so releasing the tension takes some leverage. Look for a square hole in the back of the tensioner arm. It's sized for a 3/8 inch drive to apply leverage, rotate the arm, release tension and change the belt.

Now for the trick: The space between the tensioner and right front wheel well is too narrow for your typical 3/8 inch socket wrench. Two options:

1) Use a 3/8 inch breaker with a skinny head (costs ~$10), or

2) Grind the spindle down on an old 3/8 inch socket wrench until it's skinny enough to fit between the tensioner and wheel well.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Changing Accessory Belt, Headlight adjusters, flushing coolant, etc-x-type-serpentine-belt.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:34 AM

thanks dwclapp.
I noticed that the space is very narrow. I was thinking to pull the tensioner down with a high tension wire or a strap wrench while my friend removes the belt. I only have a 1/2 breaker bar and I believe that with the 3/8 adapter it wont fit. I believe someone on the forum mentioned he used a hack saw to do this (maybe I will give it a try)

Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 AM

Well, managed to change my headlight adjusters.

I ended up removing the entire bumper and using my wife's hairdryer (instead of the oven) to remove the "glass" from the headlight.
Now let me do my part and share my findings:

-to remove the bumper you do not need to remove the 3 stubborn screws from the under liner. I had 2 struck and while hanging on to my cutter and wearing my safety glasses I decided to try to pull it out. It comes out very easy after removing all the screws from the edge of the bumper.
-the multiplug that you have to remove to take out the headlight is a b#tch. You have to PULL a small "lock" back and not push it like 99.99% of all multiplugs (thanks jaguar)
-if you have headlight washers like I do, there is a small clip where the hose attaches to the headlight. take it out with small needle nose pliers and pull the hose. Some fluid will drop but very little (protect the multiplug).
-managed to find inside bumper one w5w bulb and a small screw driver dropped several years ago

Now to the other part of my "vacations"

Took out the wheel well and tire to change the accessory belt.
From under the car I can see very clearly the belt and the tensioner. I managed to fit a breaker bar on the tensioner but I am unable to move it (I tried very hard)

Now for the questions:

-from under the car should I be pushing or pulling the tensioner (I´ve been pulling it).
-should I release the tensioner bolt to ease the tension?
- should I sign for gym and try harder

dwclapp I tried as you instructed but I was not able to move the tensioner. My breaker bar is small , so maybe I need a bigger one to apply more leverage

help needed fast ...
thanks

Old 04-10-2015, 10:35 AM

Rotate the tensioner counter-clockwise to release tension and remove the serpentine belt.

My 3/8 inch breaker bar is short, only ~10 inches. So I extended the handle to ~18-20 inches with a short length of pipe. With the added length, it was relatively easy to rotate the tensioner counter-clockwise and release the tension.

Be careful that your fingers stay clear of pinch points between the serpentine belt and pulleys when removing the old, and install the new belt.

The following users liked this post:
amcastro1 (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 12:21 PM

Thanks

In your opinion which pulley should I leave for last (easier to do)

Old 04-10-2015, 12:59 PM

I found it easiest to do the A/C & Crankshaft pulleys last, while lying on my back under the car. Position the handle of the breaker bar towards the firewall, pull down with one hand to rotated the tensioner counter-clockwise, and with the other hand, loop the serpentine belt over the A/C & Crankshaft pulleys.

Attached Thumbnails Changing Accessory Belt, Headlight adjusters, flushing coolant, etc-jaguar-serpentine-belt.png   Changing Accessory Belt, Headlight adjusters, flushing coolant, etc-jaguar-x-type-serpentine-belt.png  
The following users liked this post:
amcastro1 (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 01:19 PM

wow dwclapp. thanks for the info and pics. very clear.
Going to try again tomorrow with a piece of pipe to increment the 3/8 breaker bar.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default leverage

Protect your knuckles! Extensions equate to extra ouch on impact.

Yours for a "blood free" repair.

Ron

Old 05-11-2015, 05:23 AM

Thanks for the warning her jag
I already changed the belt following the excellent advice from dwclap and I managed to keep all the skin in my arms.
You have to apply a little force but with 2 people (one pulling and the other fitting the belt) it is not that hard.

Regards

Old 05-11-2015, 07:38 AM

Glad it work out safely for you.

Most of the time when under the hood or under the car, I wear thin leather gloves. We weekend mechanics don't have calloused hands like professional wrench turners.