X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunking in Rear Solved

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clunking in Rear Solved

I have a 2006 X-Type 3.0 and have had an annoying clunking from the rear (mostly driver's side.) Has 78K on her. Had Shocks, struts, swaybar bushings, et. al. replaced all around. Still clunking.

Problem was the Parking Brake cables. A new Tech at my dealership tightened them and squirted grease into the channel that the cable runs through. No more noise! Nada!.

Tech said he does this for all X-types every 10K during the oil change.

The following 9 users liked this post by WayCoolDaddio:
Adam Lueb (09-26-2011), Boomslang (04-28-2013), Cambo (08-30-2011), Lcgi (08-30-2011), lovemycar1 (10-14-2011), mohrd (08-29-2011), Norri (08-29-2011), Translator (09-10-2011), zoolander (08-29-2011) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

That could be useful info for the X typers.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear clunk

Originally Posted by WayCoolDaddio
I have a 2006 X-Type 3.0 and have had an annoying clunking from the rear (mostly driver's side.) Has 78K on her. Had Shocks, struts, swaybar bushings, et. al. replaced all around. Still clunking.

Problem was the Parking Brake cables. A new Tech at my dealership tightened them and squirted grease into the channel that the cable runs through. No more noise! Nada!.

This is exactly the kind of thing that you could waste 1000$ on and still not get it right!....I will try that myself and hopefully that takes care of it. Thanks for the post.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks , appreciate the feedback
Happy driving

Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ours had what my wife called a clunking. Took a look and found where the parking brake cable went through a bracket, just in front of what I call the trailing arm/lower control arm, the bushing had worn through, and the other side was missing. A couple inches of heater hose, some zip ties, and no more clunking!

The following users liked this post:
WayCoolDaddio (08-30-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. That sounds like a great solution. zip-ties are a wonderful thing. My tech didn't mention anything about bad bushings. I'll have a look-see. I also found that the evaporators were loose and bouncing up against the floor. wrapped a peice of heat resistant pipe insulation around it to isolate the movement. Works like a charm.

Lcgi (08-30-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

OFF SPECIFIC TOPIC;
Howdy to all,
I have a similar annoyance - but mine appears to be coming from front underside of Vehicle ?
(Sounds like a plastic panel that is rattling - when car goes over road bumps)

So far, I've applied dabs of silicone to suspect panels that are fixed to or in contact with Steel Bodywork..... but that pesky rattle prevails !!

Anyone have a similar problem.... and fixed it ?

All help to locate and eliminate this problem - most appreciated.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:13 PM

There are a couple of other possible culprits under there. Right behind the fuel tank is a small plastic box (evaporator). This can be loose and can bang up against the floor. I wrapped a piece of heat resistant Pipe Insulation around it making sure not to obscure the openings. Next is the heat shield around the fuel tank. It is pretty much like a roasting pan. This can also come loose and vibrate against the tank. You might be able to shim that with something heat resistant.

Last edited by WayCoolDaddio; 08-30-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling :)
Old 08-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

LCGI, Using a rubber hammer and lightly hitting areas under the car can reveal loose components and panels.

Lcgi (08-31-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by WayCoolDaddio

Hey WayCool...How & where did your tech shoot grease into the cable lines?...I took the wheels off and didn't see a spot where I could grease in...Thanks

Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Unfortunately I did not see the exact location. As he explained it to me there is a channel that the cable runs through and it was into this channel that he applied the grease. So far 2k miles and no rattle. He did not replace any bushings that I am aware of. Should have asked to have it on a lift and see the location.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Unhappy

Well I spoke too soon. It was a colder day yesterday (low 50F's) and the clunking has returned. Just over 2K miles since it was serviced. I am going to try KaysKat's solution of heater hose and zip-ties.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Ive never heard those described as a clunk. More of a squeek as they more in/out of the dry plastic bushings. I swipe the cable with silicone paste and then slide the cables in/out to move the past in and stop the squeeking. An acurate description of a noise or problem is always worth alot when trying to solve issues.

WayCoolDaddio (09-20-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Thanks for the comment but; it is definitiely not a squeak. I've driven countless cars over the pat 30 years the noise in th rear is a clunking like something banging on the floor near the rear left Wheel Well. All rear suspension inspected and/or replaced. Need to get on a lift and poke around some more.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:11 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Just wondering, is your spare tire and jack screwed down tight?
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Ben Brunel (04-06-2021)
Old 09-19-2011, 10:32 AM

Well then thats why i said that park brake cable is a squeek. ( ive fixed countless xtype"squeeks" doing this, and they were never descibed as a clunk by customers. Hense my questioning the noise description.....he didnt really "fix" your clunk issue by lubing that. Probobly putting the car in the air shifted something and "coincidentally" made the clunking stop. And or he applied lube in other areas too like control arms. I would look at the control arm bushing checking for excessive movement or rust around the bushing insert. Theyre known to go bad causing alignment issues and clunking. And personally if you can dulplicate it i would drive around with a set of wireless chassis ears to isolate the noise. Most all dealers and shops should have a kit, we do.

WayCoolDaddio (09-20-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the guidance. I was cleaning the interior yesterday and engaged the parking brake to clean around it. Afterward the noise was gone again. It is not happening. I agree that the bushings squeak. I have had all the suspension in the rear, shocks, control arms, sway bars, bushings, everything re-done. Also the front, except the swaybar bushings because the bolts are rusted on and the shop said they would have to cut them off. So those squeak like a an old bed spring. But the noise in the back sounds like something knocking up under the floor or the wheel well. I have isolated the evaporator boxes which were rattling around. I have tried to tighen up the heat shields. (and the spare and jack are tight). I'll look into the chasis ears and see what elese I can find. It is frustrating as it comes and goes. Almost like something that alternately is knocked loose and then fixed again.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by pab
Just wondering, is your spare tire and jack screwed down tight?
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Funny...I just tried that thinking that it might be the culprit but much to my dismay it was not.

Ben Brunel (04-06-2021)
Old 09-22-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Brutal
Ive never heard those described as a clunk. More of a squeek as they more in/out of the dry plastic bushings. I swipe the cable with silicone paste and then slide the cables in/out to move the past in and stop the squeeking. An acurate description of a noise or problem is always worth alot when trying to solve issues.

Brutal, a question if you don't mind...I just replaced the rear control arms that look like the little dog bones...the ones that are constantly referred to on this site as causing the inside of the tires to go bald....I still have some sort of clunk somewhere that I'm having trouble locating but I need to put tires on the car and I was wondering if you think it wold be a waste of money before I figure out the clunk? Thanks in advance!

WayCoolDaddio (09-23-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 08:19 AM

Not a waste, and only a waste if you havent fixed your alignment issue yet.

Quick Reply: Clunking in Rear Solved