X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating X Type purchase....looking for input

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating X Type purchase....looking for input

Hey Guys and Gals! I am a prospective X Type buyer, and am taking my time to try and get some background on this vehicle before I plunk down some coin. The car in question basically fell in my lap, and, as I've owned 3 SVT Contours in the past (one had a 3.0 V6 conversion), I have a good working knowledge of this car, even though many of the parts are different. I figured it would make a bunch of sense to find a knowledgeable Jag Forum to ask a number of questions:

What item(s) on this car break/fail that I should look out for?
Is there any interchangeability between the X and a Contour?
What mods do people currently rank as the most effective? (I had a KKM Short Ram on all my Contours, and LOVED the growl!)
I've seen a number of exhausts for the Jag, but, I've noticed that some are just a set of mufflers, not a complete system...Does anyone carry a full exhaust system? If not, no big deal as I have a friend who owns an exhaust shop( I'm thinking true dual 2 1/4" system).

The background on the X Type is this: one of my folks has a friend who bought this car brand new in 2003....it has 51k miles on it. The ONLY reason he's selling is because he had a stroke and can't drive a stick anymore. It's Black on Black with an amazingly clean interior....the car looks brand new!

Any input people have would be greatly appreciated, as I'm going to test drive the car either tomorrow or Friday....it would great to have something to work off of.
Thanks!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:48 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Hi, car sounds nice I think you would enjoy it.

Qs:

1) What item(s) on this car break/fail that I should look out for?

By far the biggest issue with X-Types is the AWD transfer case, they are WAY under engineered. There are LOTS O'Posts on it here, look around. Basic problem is that is only holds a small amount of gear lube that leaks out over time. The case goes dry and "crunch." There is no easy way to check the fluid level, but there is a fairly "easy" way to change it. Look around. Other stuff would be expected on an 11-year old fairly exotic car.

2) Is there any interchangeability between the X and a Contour?

Doubtful, this has been asked a lot in the past (along with the S-Type) but there has never been a useful cross listing of parts.

3) What mods do people currently rank as the most effective? (I had a KKM Short Ram on all my Contours, and LOVED the growl!)

Wheels and suspension lowering, nothing else is really available. You especially don't want to do anything with increases in engine HP. The T-Case is weak and any additional HP would just lead to T-Case failure.

4) I've seen a number of exhausts for the Jag, but, I've noticed that some are just a set of mufflers, not a complete system...Does anyone carry a full exhaust system? If not, no big deal as I have a friend who owns an exhaust shop( I'm thinking true dual 2 1/4" system).

Ya, a lot of people have experimented with replacing the stock exhaust, mostly to get better sound. Again, don't do it to get more power since the T-Case won't take it.

Other than the T-Case the cars are really quite reliable. It's just that they are fairly complex and expensive to fix. I don't really think your experiences with the Contours will help much since Jaguar made so very many changes.

But, if you get it, I think this list would be very interested in hearing about how it actually compares with the Contour.

Oh, I owned a '05 for over 4 years, but the siren song of the S-Type 300hp V8 dragged me away kicking and screaming...
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 12-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Actually, a LOT of wear parts can be swapped, It seems pretty popular to take the ST225 calipers from the Contour front and put them on the Jag, although that seems like overkill to me.

Best guess is the cars share 15-20% between the chassis and the motor.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:49 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>Actually, a LOT of wear parts can be swapped, It seems pretty popular to take the ST225 calipers from the Contour front

Sorry, that's new to me, and I don't remember that being discussed here previously (did I miss something?)

The point I was making was that no one, to my knowledge, has ever produced a particularly useful list of interchangeable parts for either an X or S-Type. Do you know of one? Were you just mentioning a single example that you are aware of?
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons