X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's seat power adjust

Old 05-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Driver's seat power adjust

Hello,

My '03 has only the driver's side power seat with two switches: the forward switch for front-rear and bottom tilt up-down adjustment and the rear switch for rake / lumbar adjustment of the seat back.

The owner's manual says that by lifting the forward switch you can lift the whole seat - and it does - and by depressing it, the seat is supposed to lower - that isn't working, but I'm not sure if I've ever tried lowering it before.

My car was state-inspected yesterday and the "height-challenged" inspector raised the seat to drive it into the bay. When I tried to readjust and lower the entire seat the front switch would only move the front or rear height of the seat independently, more or less tilting the bottom.

Can someone check their driver's seat and tell me if depressing the front switch (pushing down equally on both the front and rear part of the switch) lowers your seat?

Thanks.

Steve

Old 05-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

mine does and its an 03

Old 09-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thjought I would bring this thread up to see how it was resolved, if it was resolved. I noticed over the past few days that the mechanism that raises and lowers the front and rear of the driver's seat in our X type seems bound up. If you hit the button the motor hums but nothing happens. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks

Last edited by Stickman; 09-14-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:39 AM

Okay, so let's assume that me and Steve are the only two people on planet earth that ever experienced a stuck seat in an X Type. Does anybody want to take a SWAG? Thanks

Old 10-10-2010, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the exact same issue now in my 2003 X type 3.0. I will have the mechanics at the dealership look at it this upcoming week...but it just started yesterday. The chair should go up and down when depressing the button...at least our X type has always done so until the other day

Old 10-10-2010, 07:10 AM

Hello,

Please let us know what they tell you. Other folks have PM'd me and they have the problem, too. They wondered if I've ever resolved it - I haven't.

Good luck.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 10-10-2010, 08:45 AM

Just an FYI - this must be a prominent issue with the Jags because when I was looking for the Jag I wanted to buy, I must have looked at a minimum of (10) X-Types...and 7 (Yes SEVEN) of them had a bad front seat motor...

The Jag I ended up buying has a bad motor, but the dealer is fixing it at his cost...he told me its about $450 to fix...which seemed to be a recurring number I heard from many dealers when discussing the issue.

From what I understand (and please don't quote me) but I was told its an entire chassis that needs to be replaced because its all connected...again I am not a mechanic, so this was all Greek to me...

Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Same problem i got a 2002 2.5l

Old 10-11-2010, 04:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine also has the same problem. The motor whines but the seat does not go up or down. By badluck the controls for both seats died at the same time. I managed to take out the seats and adjust them manually to a more convenient seat height.

If someone finds a cheap way to fix the problem it wiil help.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My car has the same issue. seems like a trend....

Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In the meantime, I think if you used the front and rear tilts on the switch, it may take your seat down. Not a fix for the problem but possibly an alternate method.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

my last car was a Z3 that had this issue, I pulled the seat, make sure you do not turn the key to on when the plugs under the seat are disconnected, on the Z it screwed up the airbag sensors.

Once I had the seat out I pulled the motor off, cleaned it all up, hooked up all the wires and plugs but didn't bolt it down to test it and got it back functioning again. Was a chore but cheaper that getting a dealer to fix it.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by exrub
In the meantime, I think if you used the front and rear tilts on the switch, it may take your seat down. Not a fix for the problem but possibly an alternate method.
Please explain in detail how you do this. Maybe it will be of assistance to all of us with this problem. Have you tried this method before? because in your message you say "I think"

Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has any one actually lifted up the seat to see what the problem is??? I know on mine it was a spring or tension shaft that goes from the electric motor to the track that was broken. I replaced it and the seat works fine. Took maybe 5 minutes total time. I believe if you did not have a spring or tension shaft that you may be able to fix the problem with a speedo cable cut to the proper length with the end filed down.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it's common on X-type

My front seat has the same issue and I removed the seat out of the car to discover what the issue is, found out that the motors are good and the gears are broken! Thats the problem! there is no replacement for gears so you have to buy the assembly with the motor! Jag has some weak plastics in the car such as the gears for the seat and the headlight adjustment plastics broke very easy.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:43 PM

Just wanted to update everyone, as I just had my seat motor(s) replaced today...as part of the deal when I bought the car two weeks ago.

There are TWO motors that control the UP and DOWN movement of the seat. One motor controls the seat section by your tail bone (where the bottom and the back cushions meet) and the other controls the section under your thighs.

Both of my motors were dead - the would just hum when you pushed the button controls.

I noticed that you really dont go "UP" and "DOWN" as smoothly as other cars - it seems rather that you can raise the rear section of the seat and then you can raise the front part of the seat - technically resulting in "raising" the seat...

I can play with it some more and let you guys know if you need a definitive "yes" or "no" about the seat going straight up and down or does it work more like a level...

Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

How much were the motors, i have the same problem, I looked under my seat and compared the working one to the none working one, its fried, where can i get one

Old 10-16-2010, 02:40 AM

Disco - the motors were free because I checked the seats before buying the car, knowing that the motors are an issue. So when making the deal, the dealer agreed to put new motors in at his cost.

At JagBits - the motors are about $180 EACH:
http://www.jagbits.com/mm5/merchant....yMechanical_43

I suggest contact a local junk yard to see if anyone has an X-Type on the lot with the front seats in tact...or check EBay.

I will say this, the mechanics that installed them took about 30 min per motor to install - and used several tools to complete the job...Im no mechanic, but it didn't look like this was a job for the inexperienced...

Old 10-23-2010, 04:39 PM

Hello,

I decided to unbolt the seat to determine which motor wasn't working - it was the rear height adjust motor. I simply unbolted the seat at the front (two bolts) and rear (two bolts on each side under a plastic cover held on by a Phillips screw) and played with the switch a bit. The rear motor must have been in a dead spot since once the seat was moved fore and aft a bit the it started working again. I cycled the seat height at the rear and front and also moved it forwards and backwards several times to be sure it would continue to work - and it's back working again. So, before you conclude your motor is dead ($180 each) try experimenting with the seat in a different orientation - you might get lucky.

If it stops again, I'll remove it and clean the internals and check the brushes. The motors are only held on by a bolt or two and a split pin needs to be removed along with the wiring harness so it's a very simple operation. AllData shows seat motor R&R at less than one hour's labor.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

my motors work but adjustment doesn't. I will pull seat andreply with analysis.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver's seat power adjust