X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions Recall J004

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions Recall J004

just got this in the mail today. Any one have this done yet?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Emissions Recall J004

As of 5:00pm est still no updated software for IDS. Do not get the TCM reflash done.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

got it too. Im not bothering with it until i have to. its a long drive and i cant have a loaner because of my age and hate waiting.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Real_Tech

As of 5:00pm est still no updated software for IDS. Do not get the TCM reflash done.
Got mine today too! I'm watching you Real_Tech.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:05 PM

Just got mine today as well. I'm calling tomorrow to set up an appointment.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It has been 2 weeks since the recall has been performed at my local dealer and it still is fine. And I say again the shop foreman said they have the correct and up to date software to perform the recall.

Worst case if something happens down the line they will repair it under warranty.. And I will have a loaner until its fixed.. BUT so far my Jag is running fine..

Old 01-27-2009, 01:59 PM

I just installed the new software about an hour ago and have flashed 2 cars both ECM and TCM with no problems. I did a manual download of the software so you may want to wait a day or 2 before taking your cars in. Most dealers get automatic downloads first thing in the morning, not many manually look for softwareI was just thinking of you guys(and the 2 burned up TCMs at the dealer).

Trending Topics

Old 01-27-2009, 11:59 PM

Just got mine done today while it was in for an oil change. No issues. Actually shifts a little smoother!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone know the specifics as to what this update does? Thanks.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:23 PM

There is a problem with the OBDII diagnostic system. The vehicles in question are not capable of setting certain evaporative emmission leak codes that are required by federal law. The updated software corrects this problem.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 PM

So no performance enhancement. What does the TCM calibration correct?
Thanks for the info.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 PM

cool.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:42 PM

The cars that get the TCM flash are getting just a change to handle the different testing parameters the ECM will be using. It gets rather complicated but it goes something like this. The old ECM software would try to check for evap leaks at certain temperatures, engine speed, transmission gear, road speed etc. and the parameters set into the ECM would never be met under normal driving conditions. The federal government does monitor this stuff as that is how this recall came about. The federal government said to themselves " Hey, how come no Jaguars are setting the leak code p0455?" So they grabbed a bunch of jags for testing and realized it was a programming issue. The timing and parameters for evap testing are limited to avoid causing performance issues that a driver may notice but the jags timing was off and created a situation that would never allow the codes in question to be set. So, the cars without TCM reflash have TCM software that is compatible with the new testing software and the cars that get TCM reflashes do not. The only real advantage to the TCM reflash is that whenever the TCM is reflashed the adaptive controls are automatically cleared by the IDS as the first step in the reflash process which allows the TCM to recalibrate itself to the drivers driving style. No performance enhancements are included in the TCM or ECM reflashes, just the stuff for accurate evap leak testing.

Hope that explains things a little better.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Excellent, thank you for taking the time.

One parallel question would be how they get away with venting the cannisters to atmosphere during refueling. I don't know if that setup has been revised, but it doesn't seem rational to me.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Real_Tech
Hope that explains things a little better.
That explains a lot more, thanks. Hopefully I can pick your brain a little more...

As for the TCM relearn, does an automatic relearn in both D and S modes?

Do you need to use both D and S or will one populate cells in the other mode as it learns?

Is it advised to drive a bit more "spirited" for a certain number of miles for better shifing performance?

How long does the TCM adaptation take?

Does it constantly relearn?

Can an owner manually reset it to relearn by disconnecting the battery etc?

Thanks again!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:54 PM

The TCM will relearn in either mode though Jaguar has always recommended the first 100 miles after reflash be done without sport mode.

I usually recommend driving normally after a TCM reflash for the simple reason that you will prefer the adaptives configured to your normal driving style rather than a method you don't normally use.

Jaguar says 100 miles for adaptive relearn but the way you drive can extend this. For instance, if you leave the dealership and jump on the highway and no shifts are made for 200 miles the procedure will be extended. I normally tell my customers 100 miles of city type stop and go driving is the best.

The TCM will continue to learn driving style. The x-type is not too bad but the 6 speed in the S, XJ and XK has more shifting complaints when 2 or more drivers use the car than when a single driver is behind the wheel. I get a lot of shift complaints on the 6 speed from people that just purchased their car used. They bought it from someones grandma and then drive it like Parnelli Jones and wonder why the shifts seem clunky. A reflash and relearn fixes the problem.

Unfortunately the only way to clear transmission adaptives is with the IDS.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Thanks for all the info. One last question... Is there ANY downside to having the reflash done to a car that's been running fine? My factory warranty JUST expired so I'm not looking forward to a bunch of crap popping up after a reflash. I just got notice the dealer received a part ordered on my 40K service (my last free service) and can have the update done then if I won't have any regrets.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:06 PM

At this point we have been doing the reflashes on X,S,XJ,XK for the last 3 weeks with at least 10 done per day so I would say we have done at least 225 reflashes in that time. I have yet to see one come back after the reflash with a problem. The only "problem" I can forsee would apply more to the S,XJ,XK because when you reflash those ECMs the IDS automatically clears all fuel trim adaptives which may have an effect on fuel mileage. Whether the mileage increases or decreases is open for debate and would depend on your driving style being different in recent history. The trims are usually stabilized within a tank or 2 of fuel as long as you use the same fuel consistently so either way in less than 700 miles things should be back to normal.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I just got this notice in the mail yesterday.

Three quick questions:

If this doesn't affect performance, does it have to be done? Or will it prevent it from passing emissions inspections?

Second, my car is not under warantee. Since this is a recall, can I assume the dealership will pay for the software update?

Finally, about how long does the update take them to do?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwhitall@yahoo.com
Thanks for the info. I just got this notice in the mail yesterday.

Three quick questions:

If this doesn't affect performance, does it have to be done? Or will it prevent it from passing emissions inspections?

Second, my car is not under warantee. Since this is a recall, can I assume the dealership will pay for the software update?

Finally, about how long does the update take them to do?
Same question in here: will the dealer do this for my 2003 too?

Quick Reply: Emissions Recall J004