X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Favorite Upgrades or Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Favorite Upgrades or Mods

I'd like to build a list of favorite improvements, for both performance and looks, that X-Type owners have done. Perhaps we can make a sticky-worthy list with sources, prices, and opinions on bang for the buck, etc. Maybe this has been done before, but any new positive thread would be a welcome interruption.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lowering Springs
Wheels/Tires
Painted Bumper Reflectors
Tint
In Dash DVD or Navi Upgrade
08+ Style front grill
Sport model front lip

Did I get the major ones?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroTunerz5
Lowering Springs
Wheels/Tires
Painted Bumper Reflectors
Tint
In Dash DVD or Navi Upgrade
08+ Style front grill
Sport model front lip

Did I get the major ones?
Of the major ones I'd say these too:
Lower mesh grille
OEM exhaust tips or aftermarket mufflers
Sport model trunk lid spoiler
Ceramic brake pads (EBC is popular)

Of the not-so-major but still seen done:
Braided brake lines
Intake mods (unlikely to get power gains as the stock airbox is pretty good)
Body kit (OEM, Arden or Adamesh)
Metal pedals
Gear knob

Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Of the mods that I have done, my favorites are:

-vented/slotted rotors with ceramic pads ($200 including S&H)
-adjustable upper arm for the rear suspension ($120 including S&H)

If there is a mod that I would want to install, it would be putting on the Mina exhaust. But, for the slight power gain and changed exhaust note, I can not justify the price. Thinking about doing some investigation into muffler options. But, that is on a back burner as I have other things I want to do to the car first.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
What is the benefit of the adjustable upper arm? High-precision lowering?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I love my mina gallery Exhaust, the sound (I also removed the resonator) is great, and the look of them, they are pretty. Quality tips too. Worth it to me. I think my favorite mod is either the exhaust or my KW coilovers...or my wheels and tires...or the race seats...short shifter...I think every time I install something new its my favorite. Those rear control arms are on my list too, they allow rear camber adjustment, the stock arms do not.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mine unfortunately were all factory installed. But here they are:

1. ACM - definitely worth it. Back when I got my car choosing the ACM over the CD Changer wasn't an obvious choice back then.

2. Chrome side mirror covers and rear door tread plates - it was pre-installed in my car but looks nice and I haven't seen many x-types with these.

3. Lower mesh grill (this I added on impulse when I got the car.

4. I noticed I have a higher quality rug in the trunk with the jaguar logo - makes the trunk more luxurious than usual

5. The shift knob wood is a higher quality one from an XJ (likely). Mine had a slight crack so I got this from ebay. The shift knob came with it's own metal part which is black rather than silver and so the whole shifter looks a little more upscale.

That's about it...nothing extreme.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

There are a few things I've done that I think update the car nicely. And, they're not very expensive to do.

1) Clear side turn indicator housings with chromium bulbs. I believe these were from Mina and about $80.
2) Clear front fender marker lights, about $50/pair from eBay. (#1 plus #2 completely take the orange color off the car, looks more modern).
3) Maybe not for everyone, and certainly ignites debate on this forum, but I've taken off the leaper in place of a Jag badge. I like the look. I also like the leaper, might put it back on one day.
4) I've installed an umbrella holder in the trunk. It's about $20 shipped. Basically they're just two straps that you install in the underside of the boot lid. The install can be tricky, but kinda cool to put your English umbrella back there.
5) ACM is a good option if you can find one. I have one and am happy with it. Found it from a dealer for about $450 a while back.
6) Insert mesh into the top and lower grills. I think adding the lower mesh unit completes the look. Mine are from Mina.
7) I've changed out the interior dome/map/reading/foot well lights to LEDs. Also changed out the trunk and license plate lights to LEDs. I bought a complete package for, I think, about $70. Might have been a little less.
8) Drilled/slotted rotors. Though, I'm not very happy with the performance. They're noisy. Been meaning to take the car in to have a pro look at them.
9) Upgraded headlights to HID. I spent more than most folks do though...I think the cost was about $150ish for the kit.

On my to do list:
1) Coventry Whitley wheels in 18" and hypersilver.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo

I have to do pads and rotors all around anyway, so upgrading there is a no-brainer. One person said their vented discs are noisy, is that typical? What was your source for the brake goodies?

Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Fake Jag
I have to do pads and rotors all around anyway, so upgrading there is a no-brainer. One person said their vented discs are noisy, is that typical? What was your source for the brake goodies?
Fake Jag, I believe Thermo and I each have the Brakemotive package. You can get it off eBay. Seems most folks with the Brakemotive rotors/pads have had a good experience though. I think I just got unlucky.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:34 PM

Sweet, good stuff all the way around the car for $185 delivered! I'm definitely in the right place. Do you have a preference for brand of brake fluid?

So, brakes are coming in $100 below budget... more money for other goodies.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

One nice thing is, I'd imagine, the trunk lid compartment. Part number is C2S39520, but for some stupid reason it's only available in the US. No dealer in Europe carries it, it doesn't even show up on their systems.

Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (10-01-2020)
Old 05-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Aonsaithya, the benefit of the adjustable upper rear arm is that as the rear suspension wears, the rear tires tend to lean in at the top. This is especially true if you install a lowering kit. By having the adjustable arm, you can restore the rear tires to where they should be (straight up and down). The benefit of this is that by having the tire straight up and down, you get longer tire wear and the tire will maintain more contact with the road during cornering resulting in better handling.

Fake Jag, as was mentioned, I have the Brakemotive setup. Is there some noise associated with this system, yes. But, is it something that I can live with? Yes. Is it really loud? No. The best way that I can describe it is a whirring sound when you really apply the brakes. The noise that the tires make during a hard braking is louder than this whirring. I tend to hear it during the first braking of the day and then during moderate braking where you are needing to stop the car quickly, but not so hard that you are pushing the limits of the tires. The drop in braking distance is nice and is always a benefit for you (may not necessarily be a benefit for the guy behind you). If you have more questions, let me know. I have 40K miles on my brakes now and they are still looking pretty much brand new. This will probably be the last set of brakes I have to get for my car.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
Aonsaithya (05-23-2013), Fake Jag (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Dual Cup Holders FTW

Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by bracester
Dual Cup Holders FTW
I'm not really that heavy of a drinker.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I did a fair bit to my old X-Type...retrofitted a lot of missing options, plus a few extras...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...zerland-83405/

Upgrade to Premium Sound with aftermarket speakers
ACM for USB/iPod/AUX
Bluetooth Phone
OEM rear entertaiment (LCD screens + headphones)
B&I Dash Kit
Powerfold mirrors that folded automatically with the remote
2008 Grill
LED Bulbs
Puddle lights in doors
Treadplates in the rear door jambs
H&R Lowering Springs
Privacy Shades
De-badged

Old 05-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Hum, 2008 grill treatment? Is that a bolt on for the 2002? Looks excellent.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 PM

I've decided, at least for now, to just enjoy the way it is, and to try to make it the best stock 2002 it can be, appearance-wise. Fixes and performance improvements (like the brakes, all new filters, tuning, etc.) will give me lots to do.

Speaking of which, are any of the "upgrade chips" over any value?

Old 05-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

No. They are not, most of those ebay "chips" are just resistors or something that tricks the computer. There isn't a single tuning option out there for the x type you can buy...I've been looking since I got the car, I've even emailed a few of the bigger companies out there, nothing. I read something about someone using a mazda ecu and tuning that way but haven't seen a how to thread or anything like that. I could be wrong, and I actually hope I am ha.

Quick Reply: Favorite Upgrades or Mods