X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First CEL of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default First CEL of ownership

I'm getting P0305 which I know is cylinder 5 misfire. Runs like butt under load and won't go over 3k rpms. Stutters and jumps.

Popped the hood and with the key turned on but not started, I hear almost a whistle or maybe a squeal coming from the IMT valves. The noise is still there when the car is running but it's not as pronounced or maybe it's a different frequency so it seems different. Would that suggest bad o rings?

I had all six coils and plugs replaced like 10k miles ago so my thought would rule those out but you never know I guess. MAF sensor is new within 1500 miles so I'm kinda ruling that out as well since it wasn't faulty and throwing codes right away.

This might be a redundant question givin the I'VE GOT CODES thread but I wasn't sure if I should ask this question in there or not.

Everybody here is awesome and I've found so much information on this site. I thank everyone in advance for any opinions.

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 09-17-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

mentality, this is what I would tell you to do: access plug #5 and first remove the coil and check to see if you have oil in the plug well. If you have oil there, that is most likely the cause of your problem. The permanent fix is to put a new set of valve cover gaskets on the car.

If you have no oil in the plug well, switch the #5 coil with the #2 coil (#2 is the one by the passenger headlight that you can access without removing anything). If your misfire moves to #2 cylinder (ie, code P0302), then you have a bad coil. Replace the coil.

The final thing I would do is to remove the plug and make sure that nothing has happened to the plug like the ceramic cracking or the end of the plug getting damaged. You may want to also take a greenie/scouring pad and clean up the end of the plug just to make sure you don't have something on the plug that is fouling it. Probably good to check the gap too just prior to reinstalling.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:42 PM

Ok cool yeah I'll do that tonight. What do you think about the noise that I'm hearing coming from the IMT valve area? Would either of the things you suggested cause that noise?

I ordered new o rings anyways since it's an easy replacement. Can't hurt to make sure they are the updated rings...

Last edited by X-TypeMentality; 09-18-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran member

Mentality, from the sounds of things, what you are hearing is the fuel pressure regulator. I would not worry about it too much. Unless it is really loud (ie, can hear it while driving the car down the road), the car will make litlte noises like this. I can hear my car occassionally make noises like this when I turn it off. I don't fret about it.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:19 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Just out of intrest, what FP regulator to you mean? It is a returnless system. Or did they change that at some point?

Old 09-19-2014, 04:09 PM

Bad coil. The problem followed the coil to #2 and there wasn't any oil in the well and the plug looked good. I swapped the coil with an aftermarket one from Auto Zone, cleared the code and she's running good again. I put new IMT gaskets in as well and they were the old ones in there and very deteriorated/brittle. At least I know those are updated...

What's questionable to me is the fact that I had 6 coils and plugs done back in like March or something and they were supposed to have installed 6 OEM coils. The rear bank had 3 different coils in it than the front did. In fact the fronts look like the auto zone one I just put it. This all leads my pessimistic mind to believe that they charged me for 6 OEM coils but only replaced the front ones and did so with aftermarket parts. I called to question them and the owner said to just bring the old defective one in and he'll credit me the $80 I paid. That was his idea before I even asked for rectification...

To me, it seems like I'm catching him in scamming me. This weekend I'm going to break it back down and find out if all 6 plugs match each other. I'm not normally like this but I can feel it in my gut, something is strange here.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran member

Mentality, first off, I would be asking what they are defining as "OEM". If they are truely "OEM", I would bet that there should be some sort of Jaguar part number on the piece. The other "key word/tricky phrase" that they may try is using the oxygen sensors (as I don't know the exact manufacturer of the factory coils, but I do for the oxygen sensors) as an example, the Jaguar part is really a Bosch part with a Jaguar number on it. So, is installing a Bosch oxygen sensor (pulled from a box saying "Bosch", not Jaguar) installing OEM material? You can argue it both ways.

At a minimum, I would be looking at the tops of the coils and seeing how they look. If they have the same miles on them, the tops should be equally dusty/dirty. I would also be looking on the side of the coil for any "Jaguar" markings that the front ones don't have. That to me would be the biggest indicator. If this is the case, then I would be pointing it out to the owner and seeing what is said at that point.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:05 PM

OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer
OE - Original Equipment
So if it's original O2 sensor made by Bosch with Jaguar logo and part number then it's OE. If it's exactly the same O2 sensor made by Bosch who made it originally but didn't but Jaguar logo on it then it's a OEM.

Original ignition coils are made by Denso and haven't seen any with Jaguar logo, but never looked for Jaguar logo either.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:22 AM

When I search the part number on the side of the "bad" coil I don't come up with anything of use.

Labeled on the side of the coil is;

FS0405 (part number?)
07 30 13 (manufacture date?)

Any ideas what I'm looking at? Later today I'll pull the "new" coil I installed from autozone and snap a side by side picture of the two for comparison. I know it's not the overall look and design that creates compatibility but yet it's the amount of energy it conducts/transfers, or however you want to put it, but to me it seems like I would have had 6 denso coils installed, if that is in fact OEM.

There isn't a jaguar logo stamped on the "bad" so it may not be OE but when I search the part number with any brand of coil in the search I don't come up with much. It leads me to believe it isn't an OEM part either...search it with beck/Arnley and you can find what looks like the same coil for the x type on jcwhitney website but it, again, doesn't reference denso, bosch, or the part number on the side of the "bad" coil.

I believe he said he got them from Beck/Arnley but I don't think they make any parts, I think they just package and distribute them?

Maybe I'm thinking too far into this!

Old 09-20-2014, 02:16 PM

Denso ignition coil part number 099700-0620. Jaguar part number 1X43-12029-AB.
Original has both part numbers and Denso written on it but no Jaguar logo.