X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fitting an infocenter dash in a non infocenter car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question fitting an infocenter dash in a non infocenter car?

hey guys, i have just bought an '03 x type indianapolis in ultraviolet, i love the car but i bought it knowing someone was trying to hide something...

when i turned the car on, i noticed the MIL lamp, or engine lamp wasn't lighting up - at all- so i did the lamp test using the old ford trick to get the cluster to light up like a christmas tree.. everything else, but no MIL lamp..
i decided to get a code reader on it, it threw up two codes..

(forgive me as i have washed the numbers off my hand )
one for the o2 sensor, bank 1, upstream
and one saying edu failed to communicate with the dashboard (cluster)

i can't remember the exact wording from the reader, but the above is near as dammit.
the o2 sensor docent bother me but the dash thing has got me thinking maybe the dash is faulty, (even tho it may be something else??) which in turn manifested into an ebay search for a cluster.
the search uncovered several finds, one with an infocenter readout on it (wide, narrow, letterbox shaped widow on the odo) the other sports a much more square window in the odo.
now my car has the latter fitted atm, but is it possible to fit the infocenter one into my car and have it work?

also has anyone had this DTC about the dash thrown at them before?
any feedback would be great
(most comment on my excessive use of brackets )

L+R

Old 11-20-2014, 06:27 AM

Yes it is possible but you need a mongoose reader to code the new cluster to your car or it won't start. The cluster is part of the immobiliser circuit. If you can get a Jaguar dealer to code it take the car to them and fit it at their premises, do not fit it beforehand because even if you put the original one back in the car will refuse to start.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:19 PM

thanks for your reply, glad i didn't just get an iIC and just bang it in..

scanned for codes again today, these are the codes that came up.
P1638 CAN Link ECM/INSTM Circuit/Network
P1646 Linear O2 Sensor Control Chip (Bank 1)
P1000 OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete

what is the issue with P1638?? anyone had this before?

Old 11-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum Brick, when you get a moment stop by our new members area & introduce yourself ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

1st of all, yes you can fit an Infocenter dash to a non-infocenter car, you also need to change the headlight switch to get the selector buttons. The dash will then need to be re-coded to the car otherwise it will be immobilised. Dealer-level diagnostics needed IDS/SDD. You can't change the Odometer reading using IDS/SDD, so if it's a big deal for you, there are "people" who can...

P1638, possible causes:

CAN open circuit fault - INST to ECM
CAN short circuit fault
INST failure
ECM failure

Since you don't have the MIL light maybe the instrument cluster has a problem...

P1646, possible causes;

HO2 Sensor 1/1 heater failure
HO2 Sensor 1/1 sensing circuit: short to ground, short to high voltage, open circuit
ECM failure

If you can replace the HO2 sensor & see if the code goes away, it would point to the Inst. Cluster having problems to throw the P1638. If replacing the sensor doesn't fix it then it's a CAN or ECU problem I guess... If you want to replace the Inst. Cluster or ECU then you need the IDS/SDD to do it anyhow.

Good luck.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:36 PM

thank you very much for that info, i have found some threads which contain a TSB suggesting the P1638 can be caused by not clearing ecm/abs codes before is codes??? sounds odd to me, i am by no means a novice mechanic - i build motorcycles from scratch - and i consider myself proficient in electrics/electronics, but i am no fool; if i don't know or I'm unsure, i will ask the most knowledgeable people i can, and in this case, it is you lovely lot.

ones self is leaning towards IS issues, also the MILL lamp will not illuminate, even if i do a bulb test via the gauge testing function on the trip computer.. also when performing this test, none of the gauges will test sweep the dials. they do work perfectly on the road tho??

i will not let the car beat me, as i want to look after this Cat

L+R guys

Old 11-21-2014, 05:46 PM

update; just got a second hand dash (with infocenter) from ebay for 11.50 inc postage, happy days! i have got the correct headlight switch also; so many variants of that switch lol
called jag and they said it would be £67.40 to code for me.
is it as simple as that? or am i missing something?

Old 11-21-2014, 06:07 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Nope that is it. If you had a mongoose it takes 2 mins.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:49 PM

i was looking into that mongoose yesterday.. i already have an OBDII to usb device i used to use for VDubs, with a program called VAGcom; could do all the same things that this mongoose can to a VW.;. i wonder if the adapter is compatible?? and i just need some software? what program should i be looking for??
also i think the clocks have been tampered with too, as the speedo needle reads about 10mph under all the time, as i begin to pick up speed, it rises from way under the markings on the face, i must be doing 10mph by the time the needle reaches 0mph..
thanks for your help peeps, its great getting advice from educated/experienced individuals

L+R

Old 11-28-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dr dome
Nope that is it. If you had a mongoose it takes 2 mins.
dr dome, i now have JLR SDD and a mongoose, it connects and reads the modules fine so i know its working.
my next question is what is the procedure for coding the new dash in SDD? what section do i need to go in to do it?
thanks again for your help guys