X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 won't start

My 2002 jaguar x type 3.0 won't start, the lights work, radio work, key fob operates the locks properly. What can we to to begin troubleshooting.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:22 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Welcome.

I suggest a quickie repost in the X Type Tech section, There will be a simple, methodical way of sorting it.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 AM

Can you please help me get to the tech section, I'm new to this... Thank you in advance.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Angela Clark
Can you please help me get to the tech section, I'm new to this... Thank you in advance.
Welcome to the forum Angela,

I've moved this (your second post) from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 04-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

We are going to need a little more information about what is happening.
1. When you turn the key to start does the engine turn over and crank?
2. Do you have an OBD code reader?
3. If you have a code reader is it showing any codes? If so please post the code numbers.

If it turns over we can start trouble shooting in one direction. If it doesn't turn over then we will be going another direction.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If your car was starting perfectly fine and then all of a sudden you go and start the car and nothing happens chances are it is your battery. They can go without any warning. The X-Type is very sensitive to having the correct voltage. If your battery is a few years old it might be a good idea to change it out.

If you have other issues with the car, like others said, detail those issues here so someone can help you start troubleshooting.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Angela, we need to know if you're having a Crank No Start or No Crank No Start condition. In other words does the engine turn over when key placed to Start? You need to start with battery. If you are not familiar with how to use a multimeter to check voltage I recommend you remove battery from car and take it to Interstate Battery or an auto parts store (Sears, O'Reilly, Autozone etc.) to have it checked. Also there are YouTube videos that will give you guidance on how to proceed. Two different paths though - Crank No Start or No Crank No Start. Need to know which one is yours.

Last edited by swingwing; 04-20-2017 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

where can I get a code reader, e bay etc.???

Thanks, Walter

Old 04-21-2017, 12:25 PM

Lots of choices on Amazon. Search for OBD scan tool. You can get one with cable that plugs into the car port. Others use Bluetooth to connect to app downloaded to your phone or tablet.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:25 PM
Default 2002 Jaguar x-Type 3.0

We bought the car from an individual who took very good car of the car. She told us it needed the tcm, windshield seaks and an 02 sensor. The car will not crank or start. The lights, radio, power windows work fine. Can we buy a tcm and the ecm and have them programmed to this car?

Last edited by Angela Clark; 04-22-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Default 2002-jaguar-x-type-3-0-wont-start-1

When we put the key in the ignition, the car will not crank or turn over. The person we bought it from told us that the car needs the tcm, windshield shields, and an 02 sensor. Is it possible we can buy the tcm and have it programmed.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum Angela,

I've moved this (your second post) from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham
thank you

Old 04-22-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Let's start at the very beginning. Is this a manual shift or an automatic? If it is a manual shift, the clutch pedal must be fully depressed while attempting to start the car or else you will hear nothing.
If it is an automatic, the car is supposed to crank and start in either P or N but there may be a problem with the switch in the gearshift assembly which inhibits starting in other positions. Try depressing the brake pedal and moving the shift lever slightly while in P or N and see if that permits starting.
If the above does not permit starting you may have a faulty ignition switch OR the fuse for the ignition switch may be blown. Look in your owner's manual for the fuse chart to find the correct fuse. Replace it - there are extra fuses in the fuse boxes (there is a fuse box beside the battery, and another under the dash on the driver's side (LHD) .

And the please report the results to us.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
Let's start at the very beginning. Is this a manual shift or an automatic? If it is a manual shift, the clutch pedal must be fully depressed while attempting to start the car or else you will hear nothing.
If it is an automatic, the car is supposed to crank and start in either P or N but there may be a problem with the switch in the gearshift assembly which inhibits starting in other positions. Try depressing the brake pedal and moving the shift lever slightly while in P or N and see if that permits starting.
If the above does not permit starting you may have a faulty ignition switch OR the fuse for the ignition switch may be blown. Look in your owner's manual for the fuse chart to find the correct fuse. Replace it - there are extra fuses in the fuse boxes (there is a fuse box beside the battery, and another under the dash on the driver's side (LHD) .

And the please report the results to us.
The car is an automatic, it won't crank or start, but the lights come on, the power windows work, the radio plays. The person we bought the car from told us that it needs the tcm and an 02 sensor, as well as a windshield seal. Is it possible we can purchase another tcm and have it programmed?

Old 04-23-2017, 07:54 AM

Was this car running when you bought it? There's a red light on center console near the shift lever. Does it flash when you try to start? To answer your question, yes, you can have another TCM installed and programmed but it'll need to be done by Jaguar dealership I do believe.

Last edited by swingwing; 04-23-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Can anyone confirm if a faulty TCM can cause a no crank condition?
I can confirm low battery will cause it, and a common cause. All things you mention will work fine if the battery is low, but car will not crank.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Start with verifying the battery is good before you start replacing anything. It is the simplest and easiest thing to do first. Plus, everything you have described so far is consistent with the battery, especially if it was sitting for a while.

Was it running at all when you bought it or has this situation happened since then? If is was running and then out of the blue it won't start I would still begin with the battery. Either buy a new one or at least get it load tested.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:26 PM

Angela, based on your description I'm assuming you've got a No Crank No Start condition. Your repair path here starts with making sure your battery is good. Since you just bought this car I recommend you remove the battery and take it to a vendor (Sears, Interstate Battery, auto parts store) that can test it for you. The battery is heart of your car's electrical system; you must be sure it's serviceable or you'll make no progress. There are lots of YouTube videos to give you an idea of how to proceed. Here's one:

Last edited by swingwing; 04-23-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Added video.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

The battery is always the very first suspect - and, as you have been told Angela, the fact that other electrical equipment works does not tell you that the battery will produce voltage "under load" - meaning when it is called upon to provide power to the starter motor. Batteries do indeed fail in this way - I have experienced it myself. How old is the battery? If you do not know, the safest thing is to replace it now. If the car still will not start then you can go through the items mentioned in the posts above. In any case, the purchase of a new battery is a worthwhile investment.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:23 PM

[QtgtUOTE=swingwing;1666938]Was this car running when you bought it? There's a red light on center console near the shift lever. Does it flash when you try to start? To answer your question, yes, you can have another TCM installed and programmed but it'll need to be done by Jaguar dealership I do believe.[/QUOTE]

The car was not running when I got it. It has been sitting for a year, When I put the key in and turn it, the car dose not crank or turn over. The red light on the center console comes on sturdy, then it turns off. The lights, radio etc are working properly. The orevious owner says it needed a tcm, windshield seals, and an 02 sensor.

Quick Reply: 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 won't start