X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grinding noise on new prop shaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default grinding noise on new prop shaft

ok, I have told my mechanic about my problem on the WHINING NOISE.. he told me he changed a bearing but found out that he actually changed the entire prop shaft.. now the whining stopped but when driving between 70-80mph there's a grinding noise on the prop shaft as I let go of the accelerator or when going down a slope on the interstate within that speed.. I (again) complained to them and all they told me is that its a regular "AWD" noise for an 02 jag.. I certainly dont believe them since I felt that noise after the installation of the new prop shaft.. so now they're blaming the prop shaft supplierandI have to go back to them for another install.

My thing now is, what should I suggest to them about "what to do" next or on "what to pay attention to" asthey install the other new prop shaftsince I think they dont have much experience with it.. and I really dont want them to be guessing on what's causing it and spend my life back in the repair shop everyday of the week! (ive been there for the past 5 days for different issues of which they successfully fixed but this)

Has anyone had this issue before?
Please help...

eddy

Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: grinding noise on new prop shaft

Ed..I never heard of a bad, New prop shaft and bearing..(possible I suppose)

I'd stop payment until it is fixed right..The Line about AWDs make this noise is BullSh1T.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 PM

Oh geesh! I may not be a mechanic but I was raised bymy lateDad who is a mechanic for Volvo trucks and Peterbilt and im sure he would say the same thing you've said about what my mechanic told me regarding AWD's! For a moment I thought they were right but having to ride my co-worker's Jag, my friends' Subaru WRX and my aunts' Volvo S60 (which are all AWD) NONE among them have grinding noise.... Thanks Dennis, that makes me come back to reality and face the truth about "this should not be happening!"

Going back to what I should tell them to watch for or take into consideration during installation (which may happen this coming saturday as soon as the other NEW prop shaft arrives) any ideas?

Old 01-23-2009, 04:59 AM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

Was the new propshaft sourced from the dealer? Is it really a grinding noise or is that just the best way you can describe it? Not being a smartass, I've just installed a lot of X-type propshafts and never heard one make a grinding noise or cause a grinding noise to be made. I've heard a lot cause a differential overrun whine to be made much louder and your description of the conditions, 70-80mph decell, downhill foot off of the throttle, describes the conditions for the diff noise too a tee.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:31 AM

yes it was sourced from the dealer.
yes it is a grinding noise from 70-80
I will mention the differential with my talk with the service manager today... I will let you know.. Thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 PM

GONE GONE GONE.... the grinding and whining noise is gone!!!! wooohoo!! new prop shaft were installed today, I didnt bother to ask what happened on the "new" one they replaced.... what a relief!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

glas to hear they worked it out for you... maybe the didnt install the previous shaft correctly? I would have loved to find out what happeded though!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

It's too bad you didn't get the actual cause of the grinding sound explained. Having never heard an X-typepropshaft make a grinding sound I was rather curious about the cause. Glad it was corrected.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:44 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

They probably didn't tighten down the support bearing to the under frame (or whatever it mounts to) the first time.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:51 PM

I went back today (again) to have my check engine light reset which is due to the oxygen sensor they have been delaying to change for a while now.. i asked about the prop shaft they installed at fist and i was told that it was the supplier who gave them a faulty one... im glad i didnt get into any accident on the road caused by it..

Old 01-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My differential was changed under warranty a couple years back and I'm getting the same whine when I lift off the gas.

It's been well under 0F many night and under 20F degrees all the time. Will the whine go away when it gets warmer?

I don't think the prop shaft was redone, so if I go back to the dealer, what should I say, install a new prop shaft, or check your work on the differential?

Old 01-24-2009, 06:14 PM

Chuck,

I would suggest posting on Gen tech help... my issue was the "grinding" noise between 70-80mph when I lift off the gas and the "whining" noise i have experienced was when it was cold and only on the initial couple of miles of drive... You mentioned whining when you lift off the gas, at what speed? is it only on your initial first 2 miles of drive? or is it all throughout? since whining when you decelerate may be a lot of things which may include "bad tires".

Again, I would post on Gen Tech Help but I'd be curious to know whats the outcome..

Good luck..

Eddy