X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Gearbox fault!! Car won't start!

Old 09-30-2014, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Gearbox fault!! Car won't start!

Let me start from the start, a few days ago my battery light turn on I figure no big deal I just go buy a new one light came off so that ended that, soon after that the first rain showers came.

Later that day the car would not start the key turns, everything functions-lights,stock Nav Unit,Gauges work, I can switch all the gears the car just won't turn on i have the Gearbox Fault on the dash.
I had a misfire code prior as well on bank 2 it seem like I have a exhaust leak from what I can hear but I was gona switch my front coils since I switched the rear ones, all spark plugs, changed upper and lower manifold gaskets, O Rings, throttle body gasket, changed both 02 sensor from the front Cat and it was running good
I was gona fix the minor exhaust leak and change the front coils this weekend but now it won't start now I looked at other threads so
1)I checked all fuses they are good
2)I pulled out the TCM from the kick panel and it was dry as a bone
3) I put a fresh battery and still nothing so tomorrow
4) I am will be cleaning the throttle body from what I heard sometimes it gets stuck and
5) I am also going to take out the ECM as I heard that water can flood it and cause it not to work and like i said it happen after the first rain so I Will take out the ECM and check.
Now is there anything else that I should check??
I have the day off so I want to go thru everything so any other suggestions will help what else should I check???
And any good ideas to seal the ECM (got windshield change recently) any info guys will help this car has been a nightmare since day one and it only has 72,000

Last edited by JagX02; 09-30-2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:22 PM

No help anyone???? This is the last Jaguar I will ever buy again things always come up and when they do no has a clear answer so next car BMW or Mercedes

Old 09-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Because those don't go wrong?

You have I imagine a quite uncommon problem so don't expect an instant answer.
There is no mention of codes have you checked?
It is also possible many people won't bother to read your post as a block of unpunctuated text is just too much effort.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:39 PM

From the threads it very common I have found Alot of threads and I did everything on every single thread. Checked the TCM, check the ECM, check the fuses, cleaned this throttle body, checked the Transmission position sensor and I also checked all the wiring I did what all threads suggested and this Jaguar has the same problem and there is no code there's no check engine. Def my last Jaguar I will ever buy

Last edited by JagX02; 09-30-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:13 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that your issues are not yet solved - from what you describe initially it sounds like you have a number of problems you are going to need to sort sequentially. You don't say what happened prior to all this.. you mention rain, & the windscreen being changed.. were these the last events before you had the issues? Did you literally just get up one day after nothing changed or different and your car had these issues? It is very easy to lose sight of the individual bricks in a wall when you have been staring at the wall for long enough so it is likely better to step back, and start diagnosing from scratch and go from there as it is a known point. I know from experience that any car by any manufacturer can exhibit problems that seem unsolvable and huge.. I have been there before.. and it sullies your impression of that manufacturer and I am sorry it has happened to you with a Jaguar rather than another manufacturer in this case.
If you could go right back to the start which is always *just before* everything started you will hopefully unearth something that will enable each fault to be solved - but you need to do so in easy simple steps rather than trying to tackle everything in one go.. if there is anything I can do to help please feel free to p.m. me & whilst not as mechanically minded as you need I can help you on the logicality of things :-) (if that makes sense :-))

Old 10-01-2014, 06:24 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Did you check the battery? if the battery is not fully charged it will not start. These cars need a fully charged battery.

hope this helps.
the Dr

Old 10-01-2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dr dome
Did you check the battery? if the battery is not fully charged it will not start. These cars need a fully charged battery.

hope this helps.
the Dr
Yes I took my battery it got tested it was at 90% either way they charged it and on top of top I purchase a new fresh battery and it still no luck I ordered online new battery cables and terminals and see if that makes a difference

Old 10-01-2014, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by SteveSheldon
I'm sorry to hear that your issues are not yet solved - from what you describe initially it sounds like you have a number of problems you are going to need to sort sequentially. You don't say what happened prior to all this.. you mention rain, & the windscreen being changed.. were these the last events before you had the issues? Did you literally just get up one day after nothing changed or different and your car had these issues? It is very easy to lose sight of the individual bricks in a wall when you have been staring at the wall for long enough so it is likely better to step back, and start diagnosing from scratch and go from there as it is a known point. I know from experience that any car by any manufacturer can exhibit problems that seem unsolvable and huge.. I have been there before.. and it sullies your impression of that manufacturer and I am sorry it has happened to you with a Jaguar rather than another manufacturer in this case.
If you could go right back to the start which is always *just before* everything started you will hopefully unearth something that will enable each fault to be solved - but you need to do so in easy simple steps rather than trying to tackle everything in one go.. if there is anything I can do to help please feel free to p.m. me & whilst not as mechanically minded as you need I can help you on the logicality of things :-) (if that makes sense :-))
I have previously owned 3 or 4 American Muscle cars Trans am, Camaro, and Corvette and never have had problems but to answer your question prior to this I had a bank 2 misfire and I knew that but it ran fine, I also changed the windshield and again it was fine. The only thing that I did noticed once was the battery icon came up but it went away and after the first rain the car didn't start

Old 10-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

When, if ever, was the transmission fluid changed? The "sealed for life" transmissions often are ignored. The job isn't difficult and can be done in your drive (or garage). Without special equipment you have to do multiple changes because each time you drain and fill you only get out 40% of the old fluid.

After 2 rounds my gearbox faults went away (except when it rains - I'm going to tackle that soon) and it shifts so much better! The fluid that came out (120K miles and probably original - hard to know as I'm 5th owner) was dark brown and about the same viscosity as water! Since the 2 changes it did an extended 5,000+ mile road trip and I plan to change again. This will probably by the last time for a few years.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:54 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The battery light typically comes on when the battery isn't getting a charge. Check the alternator. A low voltage battery causes evey code/fault/warning that exists on these cars to pop up. You could easily have a new battery that wasn't charged by the alternator causing the car to not start and display a trans fault at the same time. Checking the charge coming off the alternator is far easier than changing the trans fluid. Also, we've seen issues with perfectly good aftermarket alternators -- good for most cars -- seem to be working, but not communicating properly with the rest of the vehicle. Sounds like you're spending a lot of money tracking this down. Good luck with the fix.