X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I change wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I change wheel bearing

Hi, What do I all have to do to replace the front wheel bearing? I am used to working on RWD sports cars and this is new to me so any help would be great.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Default RE: How do I change wheel bearing

Thank you for all the information. I had a feeling about most of the things but not the lowering of the subframe. Sucks when this happens 2 thousand miles after waranty is over.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  7.4 KB

Hi there justatoy........welcome to the forum.
If you are only just out of warranty by a few weeks / 2000 miles I'd definitely ask Jag about the warranty. They may offer to fund part of it as a goodwill gesture as it is only just out.
I have had this happen to me a few times, twice on my Ford Mondeos and once on my Saab 93...........and if pushed they certainly may offer to meet you at least halfway on it, but, only if you ask the question obviously!
Whats the worst they can say? No???

Jim

Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 49

Jeeesh...c'mon Bo...........just because you've had nothing but bad experiences wit Jag dealers doesn't mean everyone has had to the same extent.
It could be anything from a disputed claim, a bad dealer ( they do exist ) or, and please don't take this personally, but, it could be you.
All I'm saying is that for the sake of a phone call / visit that justatoy may get some joy, as you say, he may not, but if he doesn't ask he definitely won't get
In my experience it can be your reaction and attitude as much as anything that counts.
Knowing how important these relations can be for your motoring enjoyment I make it my business to really get to know the service and parts people and befriend them. I have been known to even drop in a bottle of wine and or a box of chocolates at Xmas time. You'd be amazed at the amount of " free " work I get done and warranty claims that always pass with ease.

Jim

Old 10-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 59

ORIGINAL: bojangles
I bought my car off warranty.. and have only asked for accurate competant service. That is what the main dealers are obliged to provide.. I am direct and non-political here.. but I am not that way at the dealer.
They have absolutely been the worst part of the ownership experience. I have been to several and no difference. They refuse to help if you did not give them any car sale.
I have escalated issues like my corrosion to the highest level in north america.. the general manager at the dealer met with the president of Jag Canada and went over my case.. and still no progress... it is absurd to think they are a real company.. they act like Criminals.. breaking the very laws created to prevent their behaviour.
If this forum cant handle hearing from people that want to share their experiences.. then just remove me or block me..
Jim, you like to candy coat everything.... the old "you get more bees with honey than vinegar" tactic... I am just telling my side of the story..
everyone knows you avoid conflict at all costs... I face issues head on....
My dealers are total jackasses.... and me saying that does not make me a jackass...... I am not.

Bo, no one is disagreeing that the dealer network isn't ( generally ) speaking, the best. There have beenplenty of documentedcomplaints from members about poor service, etc etc. There are also reports of good dealers, good experiences as well which you ignore or refuse to believe because you have only suffered at their hands. Maybe it is you or your attitude, I really dont know in your case?

Having read your posts forquite some time I know you are a knowledgable and valuable member, but I also know that most of your posts about your car, about Jaguar in general and the dealers have all been negative. Maybe thats just your attitude, again, I don't know for sure.

No one as far as I can tell has any problem with you or hearing about your experiences, after all that is what the forum is all about. As far as I'm concerned you have done nothing to warrant either removal or blocking of your posts/membership and I'd like to see you remain with the forum, but thats your choice.
As for me " candy coating" everything, thats your opinion and you're welcome to it.
Re the dealers and the " old you get more bees with honey than vinegar tactic"
Obviously, it works for me as I, in 16 years of motoring with numerous dealers have had very little to complain about. I always try to be polite and nice and give people the benefit of the doubt first. If that fails then of course I will take it to the next level and so on until I get what I want, and I generally do just that, without having to resort to attitude and moaning / whinging. Either the " several" dealers you have been to have all been poor ( what are the chances?) or your vinegar approach has not worked.
Everyone knows I avoid conflict at all costs? I wasnt aware that everyone felt this way and that you were the spokesperson for the forum. I do however aprreciate the " heads up" Bo.
As for you facing issues head on.....this is something I have had to do in my daily job for over 16 years so that comment is b/s. You do face issues head on Bo, but in a moaning, whinging way that is usually completely negative. For example, I suggested that justatoy speak to the dealers and ask for a contribution as his warranty is only just out, after all, whats the worst they can say, No?............your first reaction??? "In my experience that is ALL they can say!"

Maybe your dealers are total jackasses, I'm sure you're right, but as far as I can see no one has ever called you a jackass including me, at any time, so why would you think that??

Jim

Old 10-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 58

Yeah I know you have had more than your fair share of problems with the X and of course you're annoyed to say the least! I've read the posts.
But, I thought you had done so much work on it that you were almopst finally free of irritating problems which is why you decided to keep her?

Jim

Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 PM

I called and they said they couldn't help since it was on an extended warranty. Oh well I enjoy doing the work myself. Just wish it was on my car and not my wifes. Sure this won't be the only time it happens.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 48

Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained Justa................good luck with the repair.
Don't forget to drop by and post how you got on with it.

Cheers

Jim

Old 10-17-2007, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think we all need a group hug...

(Sorry, guys, couldn't help it. )

Old 10-17-2007, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 50

ORIGINAL: ken@britishparts.com

I think we all need a group hug...
(Sorry, guys, couldn't help it. )
Nice to see you back ken.......thought you'd went AWOL.
I was wonderin as I had passed 3 or 4 newbies with problems onto you and didnt know if they had contacted you or not?
Huggin you back big fella...............in a friendly manly sorta way[&o]

Jim

Old 10-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Just busy as sin. H20boy had to give me some hell 'cause his Texas Tech Red Raiders embrassed my Aggies. (We are talkin' seriously ugly!)

Did help a couple of guys out and turned a couple onto local shops in their area.

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow....man did things hit the fan...Hey Jim doesn't sound like you need it buddy but even if you do sugar coat things as bo stated (not that I've noticed this) its much better to have a positive attitude no matter what it is in life.
Bo I feel bad for you as others do too, that you have had such a horrible experience. What I don't understand is why you still hang onto the car. To me its almost like you enjoy wasting money on it and fixing it and complaining to jag. I also would hate to see you go as you are a valuable asset to this forum as you have pretty much fixed everything on your car but I don't like the way you attacked Jim. Not because he's my buddy or a fellow mod, more because that was totally uncalled for. Nobody disrespects you on here why would you lower yourself to that? You've attacked me before because the terminology wasn't dead on. I respect you on here as well as others but we would all appreciate the same back bud! BTW post on here more as we never hear from you until you have a problem anymore and had to fix something...We like to hear from everyone on here not just a few people babbling on an on about absolutely nothing which I myself am included. Its nice once in a while to get solid concrete information that you always provide. Hopefully you don't take this the wrong way bud as I'd hate to lose anyone on here...

Old 10-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Well good to hear you'll be back...unfortunately man truly must say I would have gotten rid of the car a while ago! You couldn't get the 16k back out of it or whatever you owe on it-before you fixed everything and remodelled a new car? Personally I think bmw got a hold of your x and they are tracking you down wherever you go and are making things go wrong just to keep you a bmw fan!
That is totally my guess bo! Truly I don't think anyone ever has had as many problems in their cars as you have even after owning the car for 20 years! The worse part is that you still have had no luck at jag dealers themselves as some others have stated as well. My experiences at 2 different dealers has pretty much been the same and they helped me out either way. Truly though it sucks that you have gone through all of this as I truly love jags from here on out. I feel bad because you got the 1 in a million car that has been the biggest hassle. I truly don't think you'd have this many problems with a different one...Not that that matters because it sounds like your minds been made....the bmw god has spoke to you and the x-type!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 50

Thanks for your support Aquill,appreciated mate, although I dont think Bo was having a go personally, just as much as that is the way he is.
Straight talkin whether you like it or not, unfortunately no one likes too muchof that sometimes...lol
You're right too when you say its a shame that he's had soooo many problems with his car, but I do feel itsthe exception rather than the rule after seeing hundreds even thousands of posts and nothing else even comes close to Bo's experience!
Anyways, I'm glad he's sticking around cos Bo can be very helpful and is quite knowledgable and a good asset to the forum too.
Just a little more positivity would go a long way

Jim

Old 10-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Well....not knowing someone and knowing how you are on here I'd never come out and say you sugar coat everything...thats not right...your just a good guy that likes to take a positive approach to everything...shoot if this world had more of that think of how nice it'd be!

Quick Reply: How do I change wheel bearing