X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove / replace door lock? X-Type Rear Door?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts
Default How do I remove / replace door lock? X-Type Rear Door?

How do I remove and replace the rear door lock on a 2002 X-Type?

The actuator failed on the existing lock.

I purchased a used lock from a junk yard, removed the interior door panel and connected it to the door's wiring harness to confirm the replacement lock works properly. (This also confirms my problem is a failed actuator on the existing lock, and not a problem with the door's wiring harness.)

I've removed the 3 Torx screws that bolt the lock to the door and disconnected the wires from the lock.

Now the existing lock is hanging inside the door, suspended only by the ~3" long linkage to the exterior door handle.

How do I disconnect this linkage from the exterior door handle so I can remove and replace the lock?

Do I have to remove the exterior door handle? If 'yes', how do I remove it?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by dwclapp; 04-30-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Default Solution: How to disconnect the linkage from the lock

I figured out how to remove the linkage from the lock / actuator.

This explanation will make more sense after you buy a replacement actuator and can study how it connects with the linkage to the exterior door handle. My replacement lock came from a salvaged car at local junk yard.

The top of the linkage is a hook that connects inside the door to the exterior door handle.

The bottom of the linkage is threaded like a screw and inserted into female threads in a lever that operates the lock / actuator.

At first, I thought the threaded connection was to adjust the length of the linkage. Sounds plausible, except there's not enough room in the door to turn the lock, and you can't turn the linkage because it's hooked to the inside of the door handle. So this can't be right.

Then, I noticed by studying my replacement lock that the female threads (which the linkage threads screw into) are actually two halves of a clam shell you can pry open. The white half (nylon?) of the clam shell has small notches on the top and bottom. Use a small flat blade screwdriver to carefully pry the clamshell open, i.e., separate the white and black halves of the female threads to release the male threads of the linkage.

When you install the replacement lock, the last step is to squeeze the clamshell with female threads closed around the male threads of the linkage.

This will make more sense when you can study a replacement lock in your hands. If you need more help, let me know and I'll e-mail or post pictures.

Thanks.

dwclapp

Last edited by dwclapp; 07-27-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have what sounds like a similar issue on my 96 XJ6. Only my drivers door will not lock & the whole plastic part that houses the actuator is what i was told needs replacing. So you unscrewd the 3 on the outside of the door jam to remove that (what I thought from looking at it) whole piece? Then taking the threaded linkage and unattaching then reattaching to the new 1 is the only linkage? I have to switch out those actuators & a mechanic told me I had to loosen the window bracket but I dont see it. Any pics or instruction would be very helpful. Thank you.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Default Pictures of Door Lock Linkage Release / Lock

Attached are pictures of the rear door lock linkage on my 2002 X-Type.

Hopefully they're clear.

The top 2 pictures show the white plastic lock around the metal linkage.

The bottom 2 pictures show the white plastic piece moved to release the metal linkage.

The red circle shows an indent you can pry with a small screwdriver to release the white plastic lock.

I have no idea if you 96 XJ6 uses a similar mechanism.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar Door Linkage.pdf (166.7 KB, 1475 views)
Old 05-28-2021, 04:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dwclapp
Attached are pictures of the rear door lock linkage on my 2002 X-Type.

Hopefully they're clear.

The top 2 pictures show the white plastic lock around the metal linkage.

The bottom 2 pictures show the white plastic piece moved to release the metal linkage.

The red circle shows an indent you can pry with a small screwdriver to release the white plastic lock.

I have no idea if you 96 XJ6 uses a similar mechanism.

Hope this helps.
Many thanks for the pics. Helped no end in working out hoot remove clip.