Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > X-Type
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

X-Type 2001 - 2009

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2011, 04:44 PM

airzenith
Default how do you remove rear view mirror from the base mount?

how do you remove factory rear view mirror? I already removed the top mounting but base is attached to the windshield, doesn't seem to have any screws or bolts?! How do I remove base mount from windshield? Many thanks!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:44 AM

Good question. I have an auto dimming rearview mirror (no rain sensor) that I'd like to replace with an aftermarket one. Will it mess up any electronics if I remove it?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:33 AM

There is a black plastic cover that pulls off (above and behind the mirror), it is held in place with little tab so working it in a few different directions should unclip it and it will come off.

Once the cover is off you will be able to access the connectors for the rain sensor (going into the rearview mirror "mount") and the dimming/light sensor connector on the rear of the mirror.

With the two electrical connections unplugged, rotate the mirror one direction or the other on the base and gently pull in a downward direction (down in relation to the mirror mount).

The light sensor for the auto headlights is part of the mirror, without that sensor connection the exterior lights simply never come on when the headlight switch is in the Auto position.

Last edited by Gold_04_X-Type; 12-16-2011 at 07:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gold_04_X-Type For This Useful Post:
4bizonly (12-17-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type View Post
The light sensor for the auto headlights is part of the mirror, without that sensor connection the exterior lights simply never come on when the headlight switch is in the Auto position.
Thanks Gold! That's very informative. A few questions.
1) Do you know where that auto headlight sensor is? Maybe on the back of the actual mirror case or on the base somewhere where it connects to the windshield?

You mentioned the two connections plugged into the mirror are for the rain & dimming sensors.

Quote:
Once the cover is off you will be able to access the connectors for the rain sensor and the dimming/light sensor connector on the rear of the mirror.
With the two electrical connections unplugged...
2) Does the light sensor for the auto headlights have a power plug to it or does get it's power from the auto-dimming power feed? I don't have rain sensors so there should only be one plug?
Thanks
Old 12-17-2011, 06:03 AM

Tags
attaching, auto, automatic, base, control, detach, dimmer, headlight, jaguar, mirror, rear, rearview, remove, replace, tear, type, view, windshield