X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Replacing interior lights with LEDs HOW TO

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuintonChester
I got the 120 degree bulbs, and yeah the plastic is pretty sharp, gloves aren't necessary but if you want then its all good
hmmm, I bought the 90 degree ones...oh well, I don't think it makes that much of a difference, right?

Last edited by Carwatcher; 11-30-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 PM

Ok, I just installed them and have one quick question...I noticed the led's on the footwells wouldn't completely turn off, they were just very dim but on. When I opened the door they would fully turn on and when I closed the door/locked the car, they would still stay on just barely. I just don't want my battery to drain.

Also, for some reasons the two front dome lights that use the WLED-X to replace the 194 bulbs won't work. The middle Festoon work fine, but the two next to it just won't turn on. I put the original bulbs back in and they light up, so I don't know. The same WLED-X's worked fine in the footwells and glove box, just not in the two dome lights, so I know they are not bad.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Carwatcher
Ok, I just installed them and have one quick question...I noticed the led's on the footwells wouldn't completely turn off, they were just very dim but on. When I opened the door they would fully turn on and when I closed the door/locked the car, they would still stay on just barely. I just don't want my battery to drain.

Also, for some reasons the two front dome lights that use the WLED-X to replace the 194 bulbs won't work. The middle Festoon work fine, but the two next to it just won't turn on. I put the original bulbs back in and they light up, so I don't know. The same WLED-X's worked fine in the footwells and glove box, just not in the two dome lights, so I know they are not bad.
My footwells turn off, I mean they stay dim whenever I drive, well the drivers side does. I'm not sure what is wrong here :x
I know I had a little trouble with the two in the dome for a second, but that's because I hit my buttons to turn them on before they were in, so they wouldn't turn on. I'm not sure though. I hope you found out what was wrong! o.O

Old 12-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I use the same LEDs in the front high beam bucket(small bulb), the liscense plate in rear and the dome/map light. I have noticed that the light bulbs work one way but don't work if turned 180 degrees. I'm not sure if they have a specific ground on one side and negative on the other or what. They only have a connection wire on one side instead of two like standard bulbs. My dome light in middle has two LEDs that stay on a few min after all the other turn off but go off later. I used 6in LED strips on my footwells for more light

Last edited by gragner66; 12-12-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I hate to post on an old thread, but I'm having an issue getting my map light LEDs working. I'm referring to the two lights on either side of the front dome light. All my other bulbs are now LEDs but for some reason when I put LEDs in the map lights they just won't turn on. I have tried rotating the bulb and even tried two different brands but nothing works aside from just leaving a standard incandescent in there. All the other lights are working normally and even dim/turn off just like the old ones used to

The following users liked this post:
CryptoCowboy 01 (04-17-2019)
Old 09-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

mine do the same thing, i just gave up becasue that one light in the middle is plenty good enough

CryptoCowboy 01 (04-17-2019)
Old 09-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

When I installed LEDs into my maplights, the passenger side would not turn on. Very frustrating. However, after some adjustments to the two wires I found the "sweet spot" and then they worked like the OEM bulbs. I'd suggest moving/adjusting the angle of the little wires on the LEDs. Had a similar issue with my trunk LEDs, and after some adjustments they work well now.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by emaraszek
I hate to post on an old thread, but I'm having an issue getting my map light LEDs working. I'm referring to the two lights on either side of the front dome light. All my other bulbs are now LEDs but for some reason when I put LEDs in the map lights they just won't turn on. I have tried rotating the bulb and even tried two different brands but nothing works aside from just leaving a standard incandescent in there. All the other lights are working normally and even dim/turn off just like the old ones used to

Old 09-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do Led's Dim

Just wondering if these replacement led's dim like the factory bulbs or just are on or off?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by wirebender777
Just wondering if these replacement led's dim like the factory bulbs or just are on or off?
Mine dim and they are really cheap ones from Amazon. You can get a pack of 4 smaller ones for $3.50. The festoons for the trunk/dome lights are $2.00 for a 2-pack.

I've had them in for over a month now and no issues yet.

AGT Brand 194 168 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb (Pack of 4) : Amazon.com : Automotive AGT Brand 194 168 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb (Pack of 4) : Amazon.com : Automotive
42mm CanBus LED Bulbs Pair White 6000K 576 578 211-2 212-2 214-2 Festoon : Amazon.com : Automotive 42mm CanBus LED Bulbs Pair White 6000K 576 578 211-2 212-2 214-2 Festoon : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 09-28-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emaraszek
Mine dim and they are really cheap ones from Amazon. You can get a pack of 4 smaller ones for $3.50. The festoons for the trunk/dome lights are $2.00 for a 2-pack.

I've had them in for over a month now and no issues yet.

AGT Brand 194 168 5-SMD White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb (Pack of 4) : Amazon.com : Automotive
42mm CanBus LED Bulbs Pair White 6000K 576 578 211-2 212-2 214-2 Festoon : Amazon.com : Automotive
How bright are they? I just put similar ones (bought off Ebay) in my truck and not impressed. I'd like to find some brighter ones or I'll be putting the old bulbs back in. Would like to upgrade the X as well, but need them bright.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by chiefshb
How bright are they? I just put similar ones (bought off Ebay) in my truck and not impressed. I'd like to find some brighter ones or I'll be putting the old bulbs back in. Would like to upgrade the X as well, but need them bright.
They seem bright enough to me, probably about the same as the original bulbs. But I'm used to the difference in color now so I could be biased toward them. However they do provide more than enough light for getting in/out of the car or reading a map at night

Old 10-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Replacing
the dome light are pretty simple. First off though, being gentle is KEY. If you want to attempt using your fingers, just push up against the headliner and try and squeeze your fingers under the dome light frame. Then you just slowly take your fingers all the way around the frame and pop it out of the headliner, make sure you disconnect the cables before changing the lights.

BEWARE! I tried gently and the edge of the unit is razor sharp and I have the results. I will try again when my finger is healed.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the helpful post. I have successfully changed the footwell lights, rear dome and trunk lights. But for some God forsaken reason, I cannot take off the front dome light. Can anyone possibly walk me through the process of dismantling that sketchy piece of plastic? I have fresh LED bulbs waiting to be put in there but the front dome has been very stubborn throughout the entire process.

I have scars on my fingers, but was able to manage to remove the rear portion of the dome light, I just cannot seem to pry off the front part of the dome light, nor do I fully comprehend what kind of clips I am dealing with here. Please let me know if you can help! Thanks!

Old 11-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rupesh
Thanks for the helpful post. I have successfully changed the footwell lights, rear dome and trunk lights. But for some God forsaken reason, I cannot take off the front dome light. Can anyone possibly walk me through the process of dismantling that sketchy piece of plastic? I have fresh LED bulbs waiting to be put in there but the front dome has been very stubborn throughout the entire process.

I have scars on my fingers, but was able to manage to remove the rear portion of the dome light, I just cannot seem to pry off the front part of the dome light, nor do I fully comprehend what kind of clips I am dealing with here. Please let me know if you can help! Thanks!
Rupesh, I'll try to answer your question to the best of my ability. If you've not done this kind of thing before, you may be just a little gun-shy about how much force to use. It's understandable that we don't want to break anything. How I removed my dome/map light cover was with even and consistent pressure. I went from the front first. Do you see that picture in the post directly above your last post? Put your fingertips just outside of where those clips would be on your dome cover and wiggle them in past your first knuckle. Then you should be able to pull straight down with some force. It will come loose. Just be patient and use even, consistent pressure. Once that pops free, then just work your way around toward the back (front window side) of the dome cover.

I hope that makes sense. If this is your first time, it can be a little concerning because you don't want to break anything. Just go easy and give pressure downward. It'll pop open. If you need to, put on thin gloves to protect your skin.

I had trouble with my dome lights so I had to take this darn cover off several times before my lights would work. Don't be frustrated if they don't work the first time. I had to adjust the wires on the LEDs into different positions until I had contact.

Best of luck, hope that helps.

Rupesh (11-21-2012)
Old 03-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Default Vanity bulb size

I read a few threads but provided wrong detail with the vanity light bulb sizes. One member said 1.5" (29mm approx.) and therefore I had bought them in LED. Problem is, the old halogen one reads 35mm in length, so the 29mm I had installed is in fact loose.

Looking up for 35mm vanity bulbs are not really working, as they are a tad too bulky to fit in the area.

Any idea's? Have any of you guys did a LED change up? Or could I work with squeezing the copper tabs closer to the bulb?

.. we have the most random emoticons..

Old 04-21-2013, 04:22 PM

I'm actually having a really hard time installing the front dome piece back together, as I've attempted it several times but to no avail. Is there any sort of way of putting it back on?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried putting LEDs in my vanity mirrors and I blew the fuse twice... The voltage on the bulbs are V12 and they are 3 watts.
Hope this helps.

On a side note, I was able to take needle nose pliers and bend the copper pices that hold the bulb in place and they worked for a brief moment before the fuse blew due to the high output of the bulbs I bought.

~Boss

Last edited by Boss_Fury; 04-21-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fezz
I'm actually having a really hard time installing the front dome piece back together, as I've attempted it several times but to no avail. Is there any sort of way of putting it back on?
It can be hard to put that back in. What I did was line up the back part of it first (the side with the bulbs) since there are electronic connectors on that end of it. Then I pushed the front in, which is difficult to do because the tabs have to go back underneath the headliner. You can bend the tabs a little and bend the headliner to force it back together

Old 08-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Default dome lights removal ?

have a 2005 xjr with the sunglasses holder,so how do I get that cover off to replace the 3 bulbs ? Ive searched everywhere....

Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Boss_Fury
I tried putting LEDs in my vanity mirrors and I blew the fuse twice... The voltage on the bulbs are V12 and they are 3 watts.
Hope this helps.

On a side note, I was able to take needle nose pliers and bend the copper pices that hold the bulb in place and they worked for a brief moment before the fuse blew due to the high output of the bulbs I bought.

~Boss
What length did you get your vanity lights? I bought 29mm but were too small. I'm hoping someone knows this so I can avoid throwing money away again. My guess would be 32mm.

Quick Reply: How To: Replacing interior lights with LEDs HOW TO