X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Replacing interior lights with LEDs HOW TO

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

From my searching I don't think u can even get stock bulbs for vanity mirror lights. Auto zone and advance auto list all bulbs for xtype except for vanity. As mentioned u can use a smaller buld and pinch it to connect I'm still looking though

Old 09-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I just put these LEDs in my car, really easy, and although its day time I'm happy with it so far haha. I cant find, and have never seen, a light in my glove box though. I didn't bother with the vanity lights since it seems there isn't an exact replacement, and I hardly ever use them anyway.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can the lights on the instrument cluster be fixed?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by imajag61
have a 2005 xjr with the sunglasses holder,so how do I get that cover off to replace the 3 bulbs ? Ive searched everywhere....
Did you ever get the cover off? Did you check with the X350 section?

Old 01-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not going to lie...this is a pretty cool thread.

Thanks.....

Old 02-14-2014, 11:09 AM

I can't find "wled-x" All of the search result have "wled-x..." with some addition product code after the x. Can I use any of the variations on the site or is there a specific one I need to use?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 PM

Okay, well i tried this.. I was putting the overhead light back in and they flickered and then it blew fuse #99 so i replaced that fuse now my lights won't turn off on the floor and back dome light. the front dome and reading lights won't turn on or off.. any ideas? please!

thanks!

2002 Jaguar X-type sport 3.0 manual

Old 02-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory1029
Okay, well i tried this.. I was putting the overhead light back in and they flickered and then it blew fuse #99 so i replaced that fuse now my lights won't turn off on the floor and back dome light. the front dome and reading lights won't turn on or off.. any ideas? please!

thanks!

2002 Jaguar X-type sport 3.0 manual
I can't speak to the fuses blowing, but I perhaps can help with your front dome/reading lights. I'm assuming you're talking about the three lights above the rearview mirror, yes? If you read my previous post in this thread you'll see that I also had difficulty with these three lights. What worked for me was making adjustments to the positions of the wires on the LED bulbs until I had good contact with the wires in the car. This took me a few minutes, and it's easy to get frustrated. I'd recommend you play with it some more and hopefully they'll work.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:37 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Dang I bought the 36mm festoons because that was the size listed to fit and they are about a 1/4 inch too short. They barely reach across to the connectors... It lights up but it's not held in place much at all. Wondering if there is a way to put add some conductive filler at the ends to get them to fit better. Maybe solder some wire to the ends of them and wrap the dome connectors with the extra wire. I put it in anyway but it's pretty loose and will probably pop out sooner or later.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:47 AM

Hi,

I was going through this chain and found it to be very useful.

Although I would like to request you to help me remove the main frame of the front internal light.

I have attached the pictures of the light frame.

You can see that once the main cover is removed, there is another frame like structure still inserted in the ceiling, marked in red arrows.

Kindly instruct on how to remove this as I am afraid that I may break it if applied force.

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails How To: Replacing interior lights with LEDs HOW TO-light-frame.gif   How To: Replacing interior lights with LEDs HOW TO-4735345.gif  
Old 11-12-2014, 04:50 AM

You may also call it a console holder.

I found the part number on a website.

C2S44405.

Item number 2 from the picture shared earlier.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:53 AM

Firstly - thanks for this amazing thread, really really useful!

I've been trying to get bulbs changed in mine but having a few issues.

Firstly - the headline panel on the roof. I have the sun/moonroof, I don't know if that makes a difference. I managed to get off the rear clips (nearest rear of vehicle, front as you look at them from driver seat) but everything from there just seems really really stiff, I feel like I'm basically yanking it off if I put in any more force - is this normal? Any help removing it would be much appreciated.

Secondly - The courtesy lights in the front doors (at least in mine) sit behind a red plastic panel - does anyone know of a clear version that I could substitute? I can't even begin to imagine what search terms I'd use

Thanks
Chris

Old 06-20-2016, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Pull it down from the edge closest to the windshield(windscreen). Be very careful replacing the lamps in the overhead console. I broke one of the lamp sockets and it was a pain to repair it. See my hint on the lamps. See this thread:
Overhead console

Last edited by hlgeorge; 06-20-2016 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Pull it down from the edge closest to the windshield(windscreen). Be very careful replacing the lamps in the overhead console. I broke one of the lamp sockets and it was a pain to repair it. See my hint on the lamps. See this thread:
Overhead console
Thank you so much for the reply, I will do so as soon as it stops raining over here (11 days straight so far, we're going for Noah's record!)

Old 06-21-2016, 06:06 AM

OK I'm still REALLY struggling to get this panel off, I've got some purchase under the front edge, even placing a few coins under the plastic as place holders, but I've literally pulled as hard as I dare with big indentations forming in my fingers and it just won't come out.

Am I missing something? I don't have the sunglasses holder which I know had a screw holding it, but I just can't get this damned panel out.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

It would be really good if you put your car stats in the auto signature. What year car are we discussing? Mine is an 06 with sunroof. I really don't think the overhead consoles changed through the years.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:10 AM

It's a 2002 (51) 2.5 SE, with the sliding roof panel. I'll post a photo this evening, but it's incredibly resistant to removal, best result I've managed is 'flex' around the front 2 corners, almost like the cover was trying to pop out independently of the lights themselves.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:08 AM

Picture of roof lining, arrows are where I've been starting.

I can actually get the other edge off (towards rear of vehicle) if I do that first, but I simply cannot get the front edge off if I do that first.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like you are attempting to remove it properly. Don't know why it is being so stubborn.

Found a photo on ebay. Looks like yours has 4 clips holding it on.

Last edited by hlgeorge; 06-24-2016 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 06-26-2016, 02:04 PM

Hi everyone,

Turned out that there were 6 clips holding it on and it took so much force to remove that I've got bruising under my fingernails! My RAF dad taught me that if you need to pull that hard you're doing it wrong, but apparently Jaguar don't subscribe to that idea.

Big thank you to everyone for all the help and advice, so glad to finally have it off.

There was, rather worryingly, a little puddle of water under the roof when I went in this evening, is there any chance I've dislodged any seals with all my yanking over the last 2 weeks? And if so, what do I need to do next?

Chris

Quick Reply: How To: Replacing interior lights with LEDs HOW TO