X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar X-type alignment?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Jaguar X-type alignment?

Hey everyone,
I have been noticing that my steering wheel i have to turn it to the left to go strait, do you think i should have my alignment done? I do like in Chicago IL so i do hit a lot of potholes in it, since the roads are like swiss cheese lol. Low profile tires are not meant for Chicago roads. If you think i should have it done, how much do you think it will cost?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,

Yes, it appears the alignment is off but it's best to check it on a newly paved patch of highway (if you can find one...) since older or side roads are starting to heave because of frost. The ruts and pitch in the road are magnified once the ground freezes.

A reputable tire or alignment shop will check it and give you before and after printouts. Unfortunately, the only adjustment on the front is toe-in. Expect to pay $90 for a four wheel track alignment at a national chain, more at an alignment shop.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 01-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If you have to turn it like that to get it to track straight you definitely need something. Could be an alignment only, but check that the rims aren't bent and have the suspension checked as well. Does the steering wheel shake in your hand when driving or does the wheel just pull to the left when you let go of it? Depending what the ultimate cause is and how long you have been dealing with it check the wera of the tires as well.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Check your tire pressures before you do anything else. While you're at it, you can take a look at the treadwear on each front tire and see if there's any obviously excessive wear on either side of the tread of each tire.

Report back.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
If you have to turn it like that to get it to track straight you definitely need something. Could be an alignment only, but check that the rims aren't bent and have the suspension checked as well. Does the steering wheel shake in your hand when driving or does the wheel just pull to the left when you let go of it? Depending what the ultimate cause is and how long you have been dealing with it check the wera of the tires as well.
I dont think the rims are bent or anything i just got new tires like 4000 miles ago, new brakes and in late november i had the 40k done...but their is no vibration or anything like that..i mean i dont have to turn it alot to the left to get it to go straight..it just goes to the left a little bit. I also let go of the wheel and hit the brakes real hard and it went really straight just a little to the left..so im not sure it its anything major or not.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by rothe
Check your tire pressures before you do anything else. While you're at it, you can take a look at the treadwear on each front tire and see if there's any obviously excessive wear on either side of the tread of each tire.

Report back.
The tires are only 4000K old..and i just had it into jaguar for the 40k service done..i would hope they would of checked the tire pressure for the 550$ for service..
Thanks

Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

So you're saying that you had new tires put on several months ago, when it was warm out (and warm in the tire shop)?

And you're also saying that the dealer took your money, so you're sure that they did everything that you imagined they would? You don't think they might just look at your obviously new tires and realize that they can't sell you a set of tires, so they're not going to bother with your tires any further?

Please realize that tire pressures naturally go down in the cold weather, sometimes by quite a lot. (It's not cold in Chicago this time of year, is it?) A lower tire pressure in one tire would cause the car to pull to that side.

Check your tire pressures. It won't cost you anything, and it may save you from being robbed at the dealer or at an alignment shop.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by rothe
So you're saying that you had new tires put on several months ago, when it was warm out (and warm in the tire shop)?

And you're also saying that the dealer took your money, so you're sure that they did everything that you imagined they would? You don't think they might just look at your obviously new tires and realize that they can't sell you a set of tires, so they're not going to bother with your tires any further?

Please realize that tire pressures naturally go down in the cold weather, sometimes by quite a lot. (It's not cold in Chicago this time of year, is it?) A lower tire pressure in one tire would cause the car to pull to that side.

Check your tire pressures. It won't cost you anything, and it may save you from being robbed at the dealer or at an alignment shop.
I got new tires in April and only put on 4k and had the the tires put on at Jaguar Elmhurst. Then in late November i had it in for 40k service done at A.C. Imports in Palatine IL ..they said they checked the tires and the air in them and it was cold at the time. But yes i do understand what your saying and i will check the tire pressure.