X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar X type or Chrysler 300C?

Old 08-18-2021, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar X type or Chrysler 300C?

I’m thinking of either getting a Jaguar x type/ S type or a Chrysler 300C. I was wondering what people’s opinions are on these cars?

My main concern for all three cars is reliability, I’m currently leaning towards a manual X type petrol or a S type with a low ish mileage. I adore the look of the 300C’s but reading a few in other forums about parts costs and reliability put me off. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 08-18-2021, 04:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,820 Likes on 3,141 Posts

khonarik, I see too many 300C's on the road. So, if you are after something that is going to make you stand out, the 300C is not it. As for repairs, if you can do stuff yourself, I don't think it will be that bad cost wise.

Now, for the X-Type and/or S-Type. You are looking at 2 different beasts here. The first question that I would ask is whether you need AWD or not. If you have snow in your area, AWD may be an advantage. Granted, the AWD does make the X-Type a hell of a track type car for playing in corners and whatnot. Now, with that being said, the weakness of the X-Type is the transfer case. Most if the issues seem to have been sorted out and what is left on the road seem to be pretty reliable. But, how much abuse a transfer case will take, I will others chime in with their experiences. I drove my car out to 188K miles and was not afraid to get on it when needed, but I also did not track the car or anything of the like. Never had an issue with the transfer case. Granted, if you get one, one of the first maintenance items I would do is replace the transfer case fluid (assuming there is some in there, yes, I wrote that correctly). There are lots of stories about fluid levels in the transfer cases.

So, getting back to whether you want an X or S-Type, I would say if you are wanting something to play with and dart light to light, the S-Type is going to be faster (more than likely) and because it is 2WD, is going to be more reliable. Granted, the downside to the 4.2L engine is you need to stay on top of the chain tensioners. They would only need to be done every 60 or 100K miles (do not recall how often, but it is one of those 2 numbers). The S-Type is going to have more creature comforts as compared to the X-Type. Something that may or maynot change the car that you get is whether you are thinking of upgrading the stereo system. Either way, if you are looking to go aftermarket, then whatever car you are after should not have the factory NAV in it. Trying to get rid of the screens with the build in NAV is a PITA and unless you spend the money on the "Tesla screen" mod, you are going to have a very expensive radio upgrade on your hands to make things work. You get it without the Nav, then things are straight forward and easy to manage overall.

Every car is going to have its weaknesses. The X-Type is its propensity for vacuum leaks. But, these are easy to deal with and cheap to fix. Then you have issues with the rear suspension as the car gets older. Not a hard issue to deal with, but can get expensive if you have a shop deal with it for you. The S-Type, the tensioners are your big issue. Not a really expensive fix if you can turn your own wrenches, but again can be very costly if you have a shop do the work for you.

You will get far more tips of the head and comments from the jags as compared to the 300C. The S-Type is going to have more bells and whistles to enjoy, but the X-TYpe is a cheap highway cruiser that most are impressed by.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Khonark, most of us like certain car for a certain reasons: Styling, performance, reliability, economy. Etc.for myself I like many cars for styling, and performance, that's why once I had a Corvette for performance and styling, and now I had a disable X-Type and a reliable Volvo XC-60. When you like certain car for certain reason you'll disregard all other reasons, I love my X-Type just for its styling, it was break down over five years now, I can't afford to let the dealer nor garage to fix it for me, my wife and my friends kept telling me to junk it, but I won't.
Now my two cents for your question: Just follow your heart and the look of your eyes, but make inventory of either your financial or ability to DIY, because some time reliability car is just about your luck, and every car parts cost are kept rising.

Old 08-19-2021, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Granted, the downside to the 4.2L engine is you need to stay on top of the chain tensioners.
You mean the 4.0. The 4.2 has no problems with them for at least 200K miles.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:04 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
khonarik, I see too many 300C's on the road. So, if you are after something that is going to make you stand out, the 300C is not it. As for repairs, if you can do stuff yourself, I don't think it will be that bad cost wise.

Now, for the X-Type and/or S-Type. You are looking at 2 different beasts here. The first question that I would ask is whether you need AWD or not. If you have snow in your area, AWD may be an advantage. Granted, the AWD does make the X-Type a hell of a track type car for playing in corners and whatnot. Now, with that being said, the weakness of the X-Type is the transfer case. Most if the issues seem to have been sorted out and what is left on the road seem to be pretty reliable. But, how much abuse a transfer case will take, I will others chime in with their experiences. I drove my car out to 188K miles and was not afraid to get on it when needed, but I also did not track the car or anything of the like. Never had an issue with the transfer case. Granted, if you get one, one of the first maintenance items I would do is replace the transfer case fluid (assuming there is some in there, yes, I wrote that correctly). There are lots of stories about fluid levels in the transfer cases.

So, getting back to whether you want an X or S-Type, I would say if you are wanting something to play with and dart light to light, the S-Type is going to be faster (more than likely) and because it is 2WD, is going to be more reliable. Granted, the downside to the 4.2L engine is you need to stay on top of the chain tensioners. They would only need to be done every 60 or 100K miles (do not recall how often, but it is one of those 2 numbers). The S-Type is going to have more creature comforts as compared to the X-Type. Something that may or maynot change the car that you get is whether you are thinking of upgrading the stereo system. Either way, if you are looking to go aftermarket, then whatever car you are after should not have the factory NAV in it. Trying to get rid of the screens with the build in NAV is a PITA and unless you spend the money on the "Tesla screen" mod, you are going to have a very expensive radio upgrade on your hands to make things work. You get it without the Nav, then things are straight forward and easy to manage overall.

Every car is going to have its weaknesses. The X-Type is its propensity for vacuum leaks. But, these are easy to deal with and cheap to fix. Then you have issues with the rear suspension as the car gets older. Not a hard issue to deal with, but can get expensive if you have a shop deal with it for you. The S-Type, the tensioners are your big issue. Not a really expensive fix if you can turn your own wrenches, but again can be very costly if you have a shop do the work for you.

You will get far more tips of the head and comments from the jags as compared to the 300C. The S-Type is going to have more bells and whistles to enjoy, but the X-TYpe is a cheap highway cruiser that most are impressed by.
Engine maintenance is a huge is issue. Tensioners, transfer case issues are NOT DYI job. The Jag are better but you have to be able to afford DEALERSHIP maintenance OR you will have a never ending project on your hands. None of the 3 are track cars, buy a used muscle car for that.

Old 07-18-2022, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Except it's wrong - the tensioners do NOT need doing so often!

Old 07-22-2022, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X-Type for sure!