Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > X-Type
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

X-Type 2001 - 2009

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2011, 10:54 PM

Default Jaguar X-Type Remote Starter

Has anyone else got involved with installing a remote starter on there x-type? I used to install these at a national retail chain but don't want to use an aftermarket piece. I'd like to try and find some sort of add-on piece that would add-on to the factory keyless/alarm system. Does anyone know of a decent unit that will allow remote starting via the factory keypad.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:56 PM

My understanding is that interfering with the wiring loom is definitly asking for problems. Why would you want to start it remotely anyway?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:48 PM

Had the Viper smart start installed on mine and LOVE it. Start the car right from my phone!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Rothwell View Post
My understanding is that interfering with the wiring loom is definitly asking for problems. Why would you want to start it remotely anyway?
I am guessing things must be different in the UK, but remote starters are very common here in the states, especially in cold weather areas. That way we don't have to go outside to warm up the car, or cool it down in the summer.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdude97 View Post
I am guessing things must be different in the UK, but remote starters are very common here in the states, especially in cold weather areas. That way we don't have to go outside to warm up the car, or cool it down in the summer.
LOL! Lazy *******s!

I grew up in NJ, in very rural NJ, in the hills where we would be snowed in for days at a time. We used to plug our cars in at night so they could be started in the morning. But we never had a need to remotely start a car. You walked outside, turned the car on, turned the heat on, then scraped the windshield.

This is why I love California. If I want snow it's thirty miles away, otherwise, it never snows here.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:59 PM

Come to Alaska -Remote starts are the way to go - it gets friggen cold - lol I cant find anyone reputable up here that will touch mine with a remote start, we do not have a jag dealer and everyone is afraid of the wiring so they wont install one. One place says they do it, they says "its just Ford wiring" - i really want one but am afraid this place may screw it up. anyone know if it like any other car?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:50 PM

There are also engine-block heaters, there are dipstick heaters, and there is always the 100 watt light bulb in a trouble light reflector. Many ways to skin the cat...All of then work. I lived in Vermont (cold as a witches T&*), and used all three...never had a starting problem in the 30+ years I lived there...
Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 PM

I added an oil pan heater to mine, but that only helps with the cold starts - The purpose of the Remote start is so the car is warm (or cold in hot climates) when you get to it. I know I would love to have a warm car when i leave for work. But no one will install a remote start - there all afraid cause its a "Jag".
Old 04-15-2013, 03:32 PM

ye that is what i don't like about North America. Most mechanics or auto electricians are afraid of touching jags and if you do find one that is comfortable to work on your car be prepared to pay a handsome amount for "labor". i live in Saskatchewan and you definitely need a remote starter here unless you want to get into a nice cold leather seat in the morning when it is -50 outside. Also if you travel to rural areas or places where they don't have facility to plug the car in, the cold start option really helps. I do have a block heater but really helps to be able to start the car from the inside of the house in all the warmth.

Anyhow, I got myself a 2-way remote starter from eBay for $100 including delivery with 3000feet range. only thing is it didn't come with a temperature sensor for cold start. just spoke to seller so i am buying that separately. Wiring doesn't look that confusing either and also the seller sent me a wiring diagram for my car (which i lost so i requested for it again). Some confusion though, basically I want every option that this remote start features including trunk release etc and in the remote start manual it says that I might need a relay? Anyways I will set it up and test it out. just googled x-type wiring diagram for remote start and it cam eup with some useful links. looks like i will need a bypass module. idatalink ones seem pretty good and only $55.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Lcgi
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by compdude97 View Post
Here in OZ.... its illegal to leave an engine running - whilst vehicle is unattended !! (all sorts of issues will invariably occur; theft, injury etc.)

Old 04-17-2013, 06:16 AM

It's bad for a cold engine, increases engine wear.
Also, it stays on the "rich" fuel cycle for longer so uses more fuel.

Make it safe, Defrost the exterior, get in & DRIVE !
Old 04-17-2013, 06:16 AM

Tags
04, 2004, auto, car, factory, installing, issues, jag, jaguar, programmable, remote, start, starter, starters, type, xtype