X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar X-Type Remote Starter

Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar X-Type Remote Starter

Has anyone else got involved with installing a remote starter on there x-type? I used to install these at a national retail chain but don't want to use an aftermarket piece. I'd like to try and find some sort of add-on piece that would add-on to the factory keyless/alarm system. Does anyone know of a decent unit that will allow remote starting via the factory keypad.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:56 PM

My understanding is that interfering with the wiring loom is definitly asking for problems. Why would you want to start it remotely anyway?

Old 07-04-2011, 10:48 PM

Had the Viper smart start installed on mine and LOVE it. Start the car right from my phone!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Clive Rothwell
My understanding is that interfering with the wiring loom is definitly asking for problems. Why would you want to start it remotely anyway?
I am guessing things must be different in the UK, but remote starters are very common here in the states, especially in cold weather areas. That way we don't have to go outside to warm up the car, or cool it down in the summer.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by compdude97
I am guessing things must be different in the UK, but remote starters are very common here in the states, especially in cold weather areas. That way we don't have to go outside to warm up the car, or cool it down in the summer.
LOL! Lazy *******s!

I grew up in NJ, in very rural NJ, in the hills where we would be snowed in for days at a time. We used to plug our cars in at night so they could be started in the morning. But we never had a need to remotely start a car. You walked outside, turned the car on, turned the heat on, then scraped the windshield.

This is why I love California. If I want snow it's thirty miles away, otherwise, it never snows here.

The following users liked this post:
DJRhoades (12-01-2019)
Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come to Alaska -Remote starts are the way to go - it gets friggen cold - lol I cant find anyone reputable up here that will touch mine with a remote start, we do not have a jag dealer and everyone is afraid of the wiring so they wont install one. One place says they do it, they says "its just Ford wiring" - i really want one but am afraid this place may screw it up. anyone know if it like any other car?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There are also engine-block heaters, there are dipstick heaters, and there is always the 100 watt light bulb in a trouble light reflector. Many ways to skin the cat...All of then work. I lived in Vermont (cold as a witches T&*), and used all three...never had a starting problem in the 30+ years I lived there...

Old 12-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I added an oil pan heater to mine, but that only helps with the cold starts - The purpose of the Remote start is so the car is warm (or cold in hot climates) when you get to it. I know I would love to have a warm car when i leave for work. But no one will install a remote start - there all afraid cause its a "Jag".

Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ye that is what i don't like about North America. Most mechanics or auto electricians are afraid of touching jags and if you do find one that is comfortable to work on your car be prepared to pay a handsome amount for "labor". i live in Saskatchewan and you definitely need a remote starter here unless you want to get into a nice cold leather seat in the morning when it is -50 outside. Also if you travel to rural areas or places where they don't have facility to plug the car in, the cold start option really helps. I do have a block heater but really helps to be able to start the car from the inside of the house in all the warmth.

Anyhow, I got myself a 2-way remote starter from eBay for $100 including delivery with 3000feet range. only thing is it didn't come with a temperature sensor for cold start. just spoke to seller so i am buying that separately. Wiring doesn't look that confusing either and also the seller sent me a wiring diagram for my car (which i lost so i requested for it again). Some confusion though, basically I want every option that this remote start features including trunk release etc and in the remote start manual it says that I might need a relay? Anyways I will set it up and test it out. just googled x-type wiring diagram for remote start and it cam eup with some useful links. looks like i will need a bypass module. idatalink ones seem pretty good and only $55.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:08 PM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by compdude97
Here in OZ.... its illegal to leave an engine running - whilst vehicle is unattended !! (all sorts of issues will invariably occur; theft, injury etc.)

Old 04-17-2013, 05:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's bad for a cold engine, increases engine wear.
Also, it stays on the "rich" fuel cycle for longer so uses more fuel.

Make it safe, Defrost the exterior, get in & DRIVE !

Old 10-24-2018, 12:48 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kashaf
ye that is what i don't like about North America. Most mechanics or auto electricians are afraid of touching jags and if you do find one that is comfortable to work on your car be prepared to pay a handsome amount for "labor". i live in Saskatchewan and you definitely need a remote starter here unless you want to get into a nice cold leather seat in the morning when it is -50 outside. Also if you travel to rural areas or places where they don't have facility to plug the car in, the cold start option really helps. I do have a block heater but really helps to be able to start the car from the inside of the house in all the warmth.

Anyhow, I got myself a 2-way remote starter from eBay for $100 including delivery with 3000feet range. only thing is it didn't come with a temperature sensor for cold start. just spoke to seller so i am buying that separately. Wiring doesn't look that confusing either and also the seller sent me a wiring diagram for my car (which i lost so i requested for it again). Some confusion though, basically I want every option that this remote start features including trunk release etc and in the remote start manual it says that I might need a relay? Anyways I will set it up and test it out. just googled x-type wiring diagram for remote start and it cam eup with some useful links. looks like i will need a bypass module. idatalink ones seem pretty good and only $55.
I’m assuming you for the compustar system which I am eyeing up right now. Did you have any luck with the system?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2018, 01:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Lol, 7 year old thread, good luck

Old 10-24-2018, 02:46 PM

its worth a shot lmao he has the same exact product i want to get and i want to see if he was successful, either do that or buy a second oem key for a billion dollars, id rather gain remote start and just run it with a spare key instead.

Old 11-22-2019, 01:26 AM

No real answers or write ups since this post?

Old 12-05-2019, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by mr.ssg178
No real answers or write ups since this post?
Nothing found and unfortunately I sold my STR before this mattered to me. I did not mind an aftermarket system with aftermarket key fobs due to the lack of range the OEM key fob had, my car also only came with one key so it made sense to get two new keys with a much better range and functionality. If you have two OEM keys that work well, then I have seen systems for other manufacturers which allow the lock button to be pressed three times which allows a remote start run time of approximately 15 minutes. That is the most integrated system I can think of which could potentially not splice any wires or anything like that. I do not have a definitive answer but I am trying to steer you in the right direction for what you are looking for, I have seen remote start systems being integrated into X-Types before so it is doable and I cannot imagine that it is that difficult.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/x-ty...-x-type/219467

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 12-05-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:36 AM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Default remote start

Because of the penny pinching the ideal solution was never fitted to the X type. My Rover 75 con se " similar price car similar production dates" had a Wabasto heater fitted which could be remotley started. No wear on the car engine and a toasty car. It heated the cooling water and switched on the cabin fans. Think it was called the North American pyjama mode.

Last edited by DUNKS; 12-07-2019 at 05:38 AM.