Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > X-Type
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

X-Type 2001 - 2009

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2010, 06:53 AM

Default Loud Whistling Noise

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving!

Yesterday, I went to pick up my daughter from college. On the way back, the car started to make some strange loud whistling noise from the windshield area. This happened several times, all at around 70 mph. It almost sounded like it was from the top of the windshield or from the windshield molding area...also possibly from the closed moonroof? There is a slight bulge in the passenger side windshield reveal molding so I'm wondering if that's catching the wind.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:05 PM

Use a strip of painters tape (easy to remove later) to seal the moulding to the windshield and go for a drive. If the whistle stops, you know you found the problem!
Old 11-26-2010, 05:57 PM

Default Cowl sticking up on pass side of car

The windshield cowl is sticking up and the wind is getting caught and making the noise. That is where the cabin filter is and chances are, The cowl was either broken, or was not secured correctly when the filter was replaced. Be careful because water can get in there and go through the cabin, leak into the car. I would have somebody look at it, or you can. There is a strip that runs along the bottom of the windsheild, there is a strip on the back of the cowl, that is part of the cowl. That strip is suppose to pop into the on on the windshield strip. Make sure the cowl part is not broken, if it is, it will need replacing. If not, secure the strip on the windshield correctly, take silcone spray, and spray into the strip on the windsheild, make sure all dirt and debris is free from the strip on the windshield. Pop the cowl into place and make sure it's secure. Also make sure that the washer fluid hose on that sits on the cowl on the Passanger side is correctly in it's clip, otherwise the fluid will not dispense, the hose will get pinched in the hood hinge when the hood is closed.
The Following User Says Thank You to jaglover922 For This Useful Post:
blaydes99 (11-29-2010)
Old 10-03-2011, 05:05 PM

Hello, all!

Last week, I was driving the X-Type when the whistling noise started up again. I think I may have finally found the source of it.

The noise seems to originate from the moonroof. No; it wasn't open. It was closed at the time. It happens around 70-75 mph.

Anyone have similar noise?
Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM

I do but it's only when it cold out and the heater starts warming up. It sorta whistles like a tea kettle except not that loud and only around a certain speed which I remember being much lower than 75. More like 25 or 30. That was 7-8 months ago so I'm don't remember all the details. I don't know what it is.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:28 PM

Tags
cowl, drive, e46, jag, jaguar, makes, making, molding, noise, remove, reveal, sound, type, whistling, wind, xtype