X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Control Arm Replacement Write-up

Old 02-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Lower Control Arm Replacement Write-up

So I realized that my lower control arms were out in a very similar fashion to many other members. I took my car to get it aligned because my tires were wearing down on the insides and they told me that the problem was the camber in the rear and that it couldn't be adjusted. I looked on the forum for answers and found what I needed. I discovered that the bushings in my front lower control arms were out and that the whole arm had to be replaced because the bushings cannot be. I found both control arms for $150 shipped to my doorstep from this seller: jaguar-x-type-parts | eBay. (search "lower control arm.")

So I got the new control arms and then found out that there are just two bolts that are holding the control arm in place. I tried to loosen the bolts and couldn't get them to budge, so I shot penetrating fluid on them and then hit the wrench with a rubber mallet to get them to break free. Then the installation was extremely easy. Take the old one off and put the new one on.
I had to jiggle the brake rotor a little bit to get the new arms to line up, but after everything is said and done, my faulty rear camber is cured!

Here is a picture of the new control arm in place:
Name:  2012-02-08_21-11-21_518.jpg
Views: 8892
Size:  70.6 KB

After doing this, you will have to get the rear aligned again because the chances are that there will be a significant amount of toe-in.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (03-26-2014)
Old 02-11-2012, 03:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great view of the control arm. That helps me locate it and motivates me to replace it myself on my 03 X-Type. My question to you is that did you replace anything else in the same job except the lower fr control arms for rear suspension? Secondly, did you get charged custom duty for the shipment from UK? Lastly, how long did it take you to replace both sides?

Old 02-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

I just replaced the lower front control arms. I am going to take my jag to get an alignment and see if I should replace the upper control arms or not depending on how much I have corrected the angle. Right know however, the angle looks stock and MUCH better than it did a couple days ago. There were NO hidden fees from the shipment from the UK and I didn't get charged for anything else other than the part and shipping. It took me about 45 minutes for the right side and an hour for the left side because it was harder for me to position the rubber mallet on the left side. It would have taken much less time if I had sprayed the penetrating oil on the night before because the majority of that time was spent hitting the wrench with the rubber mallet. I would recommend A LOT of penetrating oil because it will save you a huge headache. It's really an easy job though

Stuart Beattie (03-26-2014)
Old 09-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Default Will this correct front tire wear too?

If I have excessive wear on inner rim of FRONT Conti tires (second set to show wear) what do I need to change? Mechanic said camber cannot be corrected w/o parts replacement. Control arms worn?

05 X-type Sport 3.0

Old 09-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I believe front camber can be adjusted accordingly with a camber kit.

As this thread already confirmed - rear camber cannot be adjusted.

AceVentura (05-18-2013)
Old 09-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

disguay,

My rear camber (on the left side) is a bit beyond [actual camber settings are -1.4-1.5] the specs, and I noticed uneven tire wear (but nothing criminal), so I guess it's a good idea to replace the control arms.
But I also noticed that the left wheel lean a little bit inward (I bet nobody else can see that LOL.). Is it caused by the bad lower control arm or...?
All in all it looks weird to me though, because I checked the lower control arms, and they look fine, quite solid and have a very small play (I'd say a couple of mm).

Btw, did you jack up the car or it's possible to replace the arms with the wheels on the ground?

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 09-16-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member

you will want to jack the car up in the air to do this replacement because the control arms are holding the weight of the car and removing them with weight on the wheel could cause damage to your car. Also, a couple mm is way too much travel for the control arms.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I replaced my right rear control arm (well, my mechanic). It was easy and inexpensive. Bill here in Ohio.

Attached Thumbnails Lower Control Arm Replacement Write-up-gedc1364.jpg  
Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lower control arm

Disguay- Thanks for posting the photo, and the write up, that really helps. I am close to certain that I have the same issue and need to replace the lower control arms in the front of the car. Based on your post you shared that you had wear on the inside of your tires. Was this on both the front and rear? My wear is only on the rear but is significant in just two months on brand new tires (about 5k miles). My rear tires also are very noticeably slanted when looking at it from the rear. So I am looking at the control arms and two new rear tires, and alignment.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:53 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

My front lower control arm bushing just sprang an oil leak while I was changing the struts. Assuming it's blown now. Wasn't wanting to buy any more parts, but if it's an easy enough job and the price is pretty reasonable, it would be worth it since I have to get my car aligned after the lowering springs. Better to do the control arms now and then get the alignment done. Nothing you can do once the bushing busts? I didn't think it was a good thing when puddle of black oil dripped out of it, but I hoped it was greasable. At first I thought it was going to be like a $2000 repair to get that bushing out. Then I find out it's a $75 part and the installation is pretty easy from what you're saying. Good news I suppose. Looks like another part to add to my suspension overhaul. One seller includes a set of 2 little sway bars. I was wondering if I should just go ahead and get these as well or if mine are probably still good enough?

Old 03-23-2014, 12:30 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh looks like you are talking about your rear lower control arms. I am having an issue with my front lower control arm bushing near the front wheels.

Old 03-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Thumbs up Nice one Disguay!!! Thank you :)

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
Oh looks like you are talking about your rear lower control arms. I am having an issue with my front lower control arm bushing near the front wheels.
This post is FOR the "FRONT"...
Can I have a pint of what you are on 04Xtype04 ?
By the way I had to reread the post too, just to check!

Thanks, excellent and informative post, Stu

Old 04-15-2014, 09:47 PM

disguay, thanks for the post, quick question, I have a 02 Jag x type 2.5 with sport package. Went to get my summer tires put on last week and when they went to do the rear alignment he said that I needed to replace the forward rear control arm as the bolts had seized up and he was not able to adjust the alignment. He mentioned that the wheel moved on one side bad and was causing tires to chop. Is the above part that you reference you replaced the part that I would need to purchase in order to fix this issue. I noticed looking at the Xtype repair bulletin they list a upper rear control arm, a front rear control arm and then a rear lower control arm that the Spring sits on. Just want to make sure I am not ordering the wrong part. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks again

Old 04-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Dgoose78,

I find it hard to explain the parts and I don't wish to confuse you, I enclose this link which advertises the parts but for reference, you may find this easier?
I do find it confusing myself, but as my partner says, "it's the thingy that goes onto the wassimacallit!"
2003 Jaguar X-Type Parts -
Good Luck, Stu

Dgoose78 (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 12:06 PM

Thanks Stu, I appreciate the link. It definitely can be confusing. I was actually looking for the control arm that adjusts the toe for the rear though. I did find the diagram on the rear but I guess there are 2 lower control arms in the rear and one upper. I am guessing the one that the spring sits on is not the one that I need but any help you all can offer would be a help. Just want to make sure I am not ordering the wrong part as I will probably be fixing this myself. Amazing what you learn with these cars This is a great forum for resources when it comes to DIY.

Daniel

2002 X-Type Sport

Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Daniel,

I have trawled all over the place to get a detailed schematic of the whole suspension set-up, but sadly I am obviously doing it wrong, plus I haven't the experience to tell you exactly what to do, CUE THERMO!

Thermo has a decent post here and I hope that helps, like you I despair at so many outlets and dealers/fitters referring to the parts by different lingo!!

By Jingo, it hurts!!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rol-arm-88530/

Good Luck again . Stu

Dgoose78 (04-18-2014)
Old 12-18-2016, 08:13 AM

I am new to the forum, my name is Sean. I have a jaguar x-type 2003, stick shift. I need to replace the rear lower control arms. Do i need to take the rear tires off to replace the rear lower control arms?

Old 12-18-2016, 09:40 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Yep. Them bolts are in there tight too. Suggest you buy new ones from Jaguar; 2 each C2S45983 and C2S48052. They're not too expensive and reassembly will be easier. By the way, those bolts screw into captive nuts, so all you need to hold onto is the bolt head. I don't have a torch, but applying heat to those nuts will aid bolt removal.

Attached Thumbnails Lower Control Arm Replacement Write-up-r-lower-fwd-arms.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 12-18-2016 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Also, I had to heat the threads to overcome the lock-tite.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

As stated earlier, check out Thermo's thread on this. These are the pair I'm looking at to convert them to adjustable. They are stupid cheap so who knows how good they really are. They claim made in America and not China, so I'll likely give them a shot.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Control-Arm-Suspension-Kit-2-PC-Set-of-2-Rear-Driver-Passenger-Side-Pair-/301935821414?nav=SEARCH