X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Jaguar hood won't open!!! Plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 12:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Jaguar hood won't open!!! Plz help!

I have a 2002 jaguar x-type 3.0 and my hood will not open. it was working fine, and just all of the sudden stopped working!

It pops it with the lever, but only the driver side of hood comes up, but the passenger side is still closed.

Ive tooken it to a few machanics and they couldnt help... Ive also read that this has happened to others.

How do I go about fixing it?

what would i have to re,ove to find cable under hood to relase it? plz help!!!

The following users liked this post:
Arthurjff55 (04-13-2015)
Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 AM

You need a new hood cable. This is kinda hard to describe, but here's what you need to do.

Get a rod long enough to reach from the bottom to the top of the hood. I had a curtain rod, worked perfectly. On the passenger side where the latch is, all you need to do it catch it and pop it open. Again, this is easier done than said, literally. I didn't have to jack up my car to do it.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

hustle, there is a cable that runs underneath the support bar across the top of the radiator. You will need to open the hood as mentioned above and then remove the 2 bolts on each latch mechanism. From there you should be able to pull the cable out and replace. Like was mentioned, harder to explain than to do. I know I have a problem with my cable sticking, therefore not allowing the hood to close.

Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM

hey, thanks for both of the advice yall gave me.

im a try to fix it today if it doesnt rain and i will let ya know how it went.

i am a newbie when it comes to owning a jaguar so im glad there is a forum just like this.

------------------------------
off topic

i just bought this 2002 jaguar x-type 3.0 with navigation for a great price and over time i plan on fully customizing it. (grills, rims, body kits, paint, stereo, etc.) but for now, gotta make sure all fluids and minor maintanence are done to it. .... its time to get this hood up!!!.... lol

Old 04-29-2009, 02:29 PM

ok... so i jacked up car and got a lil wooden pole that can fit up to lat

i

Old 04-29-2009, 02:31 PM

ok... i jacked up car and got a lil wooden pole so i can poke at latch, but what EXACTLY do i have to do to open it up.

do i poke around center of latch or what? anyone have a picture of bottom of latch so i can understand how it opens more?

i also see the cable going to latch, do i press against that side, other side, or middle of latch?

kinda a dum question but i dont have an owners manual

Last edited by txhustle; 04-29-2009 at 03:04 PM.
KLove (01-14-2024)
Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 PM

i got it open..... yes.

how do i know if cable is broken and needs to be replaced.

ima do alot of maintanence while hood is up. im scared to close it now.

does my jaguar take special coolant? i noticed it is red fluid in the reserve. why is dat?

Old 04-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Hustle, as for the cable. You should be able to watch the latch as a second person pulls on the lever inside the car. You should see both latches operate at the same time. From the sounds of things, you have a broken cable, so, simply pulling the cable off of the passenger side latch and then pulling on the cable with your hand should let you know if the cable is broken or not.

As for the coolant, jaguar does recommend using only their coolant. it is a long lasting/life coolant. But, with that being said, all coolants made today meet the same sort of standards and therefore you can use just about anything out there. The big trick is making sure that you use the same type of coolant. There are currently 3 types of coolant out there (green, orange, and red). So, if you are using a different kind, make sure to flush the system really well to get rid of all the old different colored coolant.

KLove (01-14-2024)
Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have same problem. so, I took it to jaguar. they told me it cost $720.
this is crazy. so, i decide to do it myself.
Is it hard to change cable?
Anyone have step by step manual to change it?
please help!!!
txhustle! did you change it by yourself?

Old 06-09-2012, 07:11 AM

My cable has popped. Is there a picture that anyone can provide for me?

Old 10-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just fixed mine! jack it up, remove splash gaurd running width of front underside, need flashlight, long screwdriver, and extra person. Have help push down intermitently on hood where latch is jambed. Latch is located at the begining of the center hump. While they are doing this use flash light to locate movement of latch. It won't be much but it'll be enough. You will be able to tell which way you need to lever the screwdriver by which way the movement of latch goes when hood is pressed down. when you find it have person began to pull up on hood intermitently as you lever it.
Or try to reconnect the cable. drivers side there are (3) three spots. the outer two are for the coated cable to slip into fork shaped. The middle is for the pea shapped bare cable to slot into. Passenger side is only two same setup.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kidpakman:
KLove (01-14-2024), Xx_Xtype_xX (03-19-2024)
Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It could be worse when this happened to me a few weeks ageo. my jag started over heating so i pulled over in a privet eate went to pull the bonnet and no joy same as you however i now had a over heated car 11pm with family in the car peeing rain. and some guy telling me there going to toe my car away if i left it there. so just think if your home in it your already doing better than i was. And yes the long stick and tourch way works.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:15 AM

04 jag xtype 2.5
hood stuck on driver side. Did not have to remove anything. Jacked up the car on driver side and reached up with my hand to move latch to the side.

The following 2 users liked this post by dvd711:
Lubrication (10-18-2015), xande007 (02-28-2016)
Old 10-17-2015, 08:41 PM

I lost the passenger side cable. I took it to Goodyear here in Miramar, Florida and they fixed it for $120.00 in two hours. Unbelievable. They acted like it was no big deal and that they do it all the time.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Default Drivers side latch

Apologizing for posting to an old thread but I think that this thread is still relevant to my issue.

The latch on the drivers side is latched but the passenger side is unlatched. The hood is closed and wont open. Pulling the hood latch inside does nothing.
I tried following the instructions here but I cant seem to get underneath the driverside enough to unlatch that side (headlight assembly seems to be in the way). I can see the passenger side latch from underneath but that hasn't done me any good since its the drivers side thats stuck. I was going to wait until it's warmer to try and fix it but I have a headlight out now and Im going to have to get under the hood.
Will I be able to see the latch on the drivers side if I jack it up far enough or should I take off the whole front bumper instead to get at that latch?

[/QUOTE]

Old 02-05-2016, 06:11 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

I believe you have to take off the front under panel (about 2 million screws as I recall) and then you should be able to reach the latch from below (yes you have to jack the car up a bit unless you're only 8" thick in the chest area)...And you use a long flat tip screwdriver to move the latch to the right, because the cable is on top of the pivot point and it pulls to the left...This a classic problem with this **** poor cable latch attachment. You'll see the problem as soon as you open the hood.

Last edited by DPK; 02-05-2016 at 06:13 PM.
KLove (01-14-2024)
Old 02-05-2016, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
I believe you have to take off the front under panel (about 2 million screws as I recall) and then you should be able to reach the latch from below (yes you have to jack the car up a bit unless you're only 8" thick in the chest area)...And you use a long flat tip screwdriver to move the latch to the right, because the cable is on top of the pivot point and it pulls to the left...This a classic problem with this **** poor cable latch attachment. You'll see the problem as soon as you open the hood.
OK so I will be able to get at the driver side latch from underneath. I wasn't able to see it using the regular tire jack that comes with the car so I will use a bigger Jack and get it up higher and then follow the instructions taking the splashguard off again and try to locate that latch on the driver side .
Stay tuned…

Old 02-06-2016, 11:14 AM

Xx you have to jack it up high enough to get underneath the car. Then you can reach the latch with your hand. I have an 04 and didn't remove a thing. I originally posted the pictures so you would have an idea what you were looking for. Good luck.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:41 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd711
Xx you have to jack it up high enough to get underneath the car. Then you can reach the latch with your hand. I have an 04 and didn't remove a thing..
Now that you mentioned it, I think you're right about not removing the front under panel...Thanks for catching that.

Old 02-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Default Thank you to all

Originally Posted by dvd711
Xx you have to jack it up high enough to get underneath the car. Then you can reach the latch with your hand. I have an 04 and didn't remove a thing. I originally posted the pictures so you would have an idea what you were looking for. Good luck.
I was able to reach it just as everyone mentioned.
You defintiely need to get the car up high enough in order to reach up inside and trigger the latch manually (again just as everyone said).
The cable was the culprit...rust and corrosion on the inside of the cable (froze it completely).
I sprayed the hell out of it with wd-49 and worked the latch handle from inside the car. This lubricated the cable on the inside of the rubber casing.
The nightmare is over.

You know I was thinking about lowering the car but I'm strongly reconsidering as I'd need to carry around a pair of auto ramps just to look underneath the thing if anything ever goes wrong.

Anyway, a huge thanks again to everyone!

Last edited by Xx_Xtype_xX; 02-06-2016 at 02:56 PM.
xande007 (02-28-2016)

Quick Reply: My Jaguar hood won't open!!! Plz help!