Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newby's starting off with 1st Jag - Got a 2004 X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby's starting off with 1st Jag - Got a 2004 X-Type

Hi everyone.

We had this 2004 X-Type 3.0 for under a month as of today 10-26-14. Got it with 57K miles. Dad & son, 17 plan on leaning on forum info & our own work for maintenance if possible. We have Jag dealer, a decent foreign specialty shop, know fair general mechanics locally & can handle light repairs. After 2,000 miles it has zero issues but we plan on staying on stuff not working. Ordered owners manual (ebay few days ago)...
>>Can one of you experts recc more detailed tech manuals to buy or download? To learn as we go I'm starting this "items not correct" list by priority here just as a new owner log (I'll navigate this forum a bit more but if this is the wrong place to post & get advise on newby owner stuff, please forgive me & direct us):

1- Head gasket- tiny leak, minimal odor, advised as no big deal. Gonna replace it mainly to familiarize the kid with the Jag.

2- Left headlight low beam out. Will replace it can I tell if its Halogen before hand ($20 vs $200 if so)? Best to have it on hand. but (Lt Fr headlight lenses are fogged- got 3M kit to clear it.

3-Tiny molding on sunroof sliding shade's handle missing. Be nice to get it stock if it exists. Seems picky I know but its the principle goal...

4- Any audio advise? Sound is OK but need input jacks for MP3, at least 2 for front & back if (I'd love 4 + USB's for iPhones- never enough), & getting that option exists. Sirus to install between a few vehicles.

5- GENERAL: Over time we may upgrade stuff. So you guys of that similar interest are summoned to advise whats out there to enjoy this toy.

Last edited by GGG; 10-27-2014 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

Joshy,

I've moved your question from the JTIS Install thread in General Tech Help to X-Type forum. This is the place to post tech questions about your model.

Graham

Old 10-27-2014, 06:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

As for determining what type of headlights are in the car, simply open up the driver's door and look in the door jam for a silver/white sticker between the hinges. It will say something to the effect of "This vehicle is equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) .....". If you don't see it, then you have halogen headlights. If you see it, you require a D2S 35W HID bulb. Another generic thing to look at is when you turn on your headlights, do they snap on, or do you see them flicker bright, go dim, then come up to full brightness over say 2 seconds? The quick on is a halogen bulb, the flicker/dim/come to brightness is the HID.

As for USB ports, that is going to be a custom thing. So, if you can find a basic port, you can wire it up using those directions.

As for the head gasket, replacing it sooner than later is always better. You know it is not the best and atleast now it is not causing any negative effects. So, the sooner you can do it the better off/cheaper it is going to be.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm curious as to why you think there is a head gasket leak. It seems it would be unusual at 57K miles unless it had an overheating event. If you do, you could try one of the many head gasket sealants that are out there, although the best solution would not doubt be replacing the gasket.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Hello & welcome , nice to see you here . Cant help too much with quieries . I keep my cars as stock as possible & if things go wrong , at my age & with my health, I pay a tech to fix it ..

Old 11-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

...advice that I always give. If you have not already joined your local Jaguar Club, it is well worth the $. Technical advise, guidance on what shop is best for paint, mechanical, etc. Events. Thanks and good luck.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why a new head hasket @ 57k:

Originally Posted by sawduster
I'm curious as to why you think there is a head gasket leak. It seems it would be unusual at 57K miles unless it had an overheating event. If you do, you could try one of the many head gasket sealants that are out there, although the best solution would not doubt be replacing the gasket.
Its a slight, minimal leak with almost undetectable smell, only if you punch it hard to accelerate. Leak was detected when it was inspected before purchase by a legit foreign specialty shop; he even said its no big deal. The last S model he checked that didn't pass his inspection had the V-8 4.2 & leaked from same, drivers side head gasket a lot. It may be a zone for excess pressure accelerating with any model, I'm unsure but its logical in that Ford blocks were "pumped up" for more efficient use in Jags which I can see, are designed to accelerate hard after a higher RPM (flat torque curve + steeper HP curve after maybe 3,500 RPM)...

This gasket & that headlight are also great "1st jobs" for the 17 yr old son to learn a few things, ya know?