X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise getting worse... centre bearing? Wheel Bearing? Differential? w/ video

Old 03-27-2015, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise getting worse... centre bearing? Wheel Bearing? Differential? w/ video

I've got a noise that's getting worse.

I'm trying to find a possible solution to it not being a front differential like I was told. I plan on changing the gear oils later.

I anticipate that this sound is a centre bearing sound. Could be a wheel bearing, but it shouldn't be. But, if it's distinct, then by all means, let me know.

Just let me know what you think, your experiences, and where I could possibly find a replacement for the centre bearing for my car.

VIDEO

*LISTEN WITH HEADPHONES- I can barely hear the noise without headphones*

https://*******/kN4S
This is at a VERY low speed... I'm talking 5-10 mph. Most likely less.
I plan on changing the gear oil pretty soon. Then maybe doing some diagnosing (maybe listening to where the noise is coming from on a lift at speed- to see if it's a centre bearing or a wheel bearing). I was going to grease up the centre bearing real quick but apparently the 3.0L version doesn't have little holes for grease like the 2.5L versions so I'll have to do that some other time.

Last edited by Xtyper; 03-27-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xtyper
I've got a noise that's getting worse.

I'm trying to find a possible solution to it not being a front differential like I was told. I plan on changing the gear oils later.

I anticipate that this sound is a centre bearing sound. Could be a wheel bearing, but it shouldn't be. But, if it's distinct, then by all means, let me know.

Just let me know what you think, your experiences, and where I could possibly find a replacement for the centre bearing for my car.

VIDEO

*LISTEN WITH HEADPHONES- I can barely hear the noise without headphones*

https://*******/kN4S
This is at a VERY low speed... I'm talking 5-10 mph. Most likely less.
I plan on changing the gear oil pretty soon. Then maybe doing some diagnosing (maybe listening to where the noise is coming from on a lift at speed- to see if it's a centre bearing or a wheel bearing). I was going to grease up the centre bearing real quick but apparently the 3.0L version doesn't have little holes for grease like the 2.5L versions so I'll have to do that some other time.
Have you had the brakes done recently? I sounds to me like the shield is hitting the rotor as it spins.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by FollowMe
Have you had the brakes done recently? I sounds to me like the shield is hitting the rotor as it spins.
Yeah, did them around mid 2014. Rotors and pads. Pads are still very good, rotors appear to be in good shape. The two rear wheel bearings were supposedly done not too long ago, as well as a front. And I did one on the front not too long ago because that's what we thought it was. I mean it was bad, but that didn't help with the sound. Turns out it's not. Was told it was the front differential. Not much detail, so I'm gonna change the gear oil anyways, but if it was the diff the sounds I'm getting doesn't sound like they'll be fixed by a fluid change. Now, I suspect the centre bearing. After the gear oil is changed, I plan on getting a look at the wheel bearings and centre bearing. Then changing whichever ones I need.

So. Gear oil, check bearings, most likely replace the bad ones. If it's the centre, I'll grease that up first and see. I'll take a detailed look at the brakes too because to someone outside the car, brakes would be a first guess. I do get some squeak when braking from like 2mph to 0, so I'll still check them out. I'll check out the belts too `cause...

I was getting this other noise that I don't have recorded... it reminds me of... a printer, honestly. It happens maybe for 5-10 minutes of driving, probably up until the car gets to operating temperature. Then it goes away. It's horribly loud in the cold. In the warm, it's not that bad. It kicks in at like 5-10mph. The faster I go, the more the engine drowns it out. That might be why people think it's the diff, but I've heard that greasing up the centre bearing might make that go away.

If it is the prop-shaft or centre bearing. I can either buy a complete prop-shaft from Jaguar for my car, or have to get a secondhand OEM one from some other manufacturer (like Spicer) or something since Jaguar doesn't make them. I just don't know which one to get.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have not listened with head phones but on hearing the noise it is very similar to what was happening with my car. It was eventually traced to the rear brakes in my case.

The pads were lightly touching the rear disc just enough to rub very slightly without binding or heating up and causing the said noise at low speed--pulling away from junctions lights etc. Removing the rear pads and cleaning up the calipers/pads sorted it for me

Old 03-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Definitely does not sound like the prop shaft carrier bearing. That noise is more of a constant whine that starts at about 28-32 MPH. Sounds more like something is barely rubbing somewhere. If it was a differential or gear noise I would think it would be more of a constant whine that would change in pitch with the speed of the car. If it was a wheel bearing the sound would change as you turn one way or the other.

Let us know what it turns out to be,

Old 03-28-2015, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
Definitely does not sound like the prop shaft carrier bearing. That noise is more of a constant whine that starts at about 28-32 MPH. Sounds more like something is barely rubbing somewhere. If it was a differential or gear noise I would think it would be more of a constant whine that would change in pitch with the speed of the car. If it was a wheel bearing the sound would change as you turn one way or the other.

Let us know what it turns out to be,
That humming noise is what I'll find out. And it's kind of something that only happens (or at least is loud) at really low speeds. Like pulling out of a small driveway at ~17 mph.

But then again, I do have this annoying whine like I mentioned in my previous post.

I'll have to figure it out I guess.