X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1165

Old 11-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default P1165

I'm having this code, P1165, now for a few days. In the mornings, driving around 9-11 miles to my work place no code. After work, I have to pick up my son at school and the driving distance is more, around 12-15. Then is when I feel that "crack" in my break pedal and, there is the code again. ABS light comes on. Yesterday, in the morning, no code again,It reset by it self. But in the afternoon came back again with the check engine light following the ABS light. I pulled the codes with my OBD 2 scanner and now I have the same P1165 pending, P1165 and P1000. Is the Rear right abs sensor in bad shape, hone or just dirty? I'm being reading about some speed sensor ring that some times need to be replaced. How I now what I have to do? Thanks and I hope any help soon.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:53 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Danomar, I am assuming that you are meaning that you have a C1165 code, not a P1165 code. P1165 is not an accurate code for the jaguar X-Type.

Assuming that it is the C1165 code, the first check would be to pull off the rear tire and then follow the wiring to the ABS speed sensor. As you are following the wiring, check to make sure that the wiring is not damaged (ie, exposed copper, bent in a funny angle, etc). At this point, remove the single bolt holding the speed sensor in place and then pull the speed sensor out. Using a flashlight, look down in the hole and see if you can spot a toothed gear down there. From the sounds of things, if you can rotate the tire, you will find that the ring will wobble pretty good for you and/or there will be a missing section. This would mean that you will need either a new "reluctance ring" or you will have to replace the rear CV shaft on that side.

If things look good, then I would say to swap the sensor with the one on the other side of your car and see if the problem moves from side to side. If it does, then it confirms the problem is the sensor. If it stays on that side, then more investigation is needed to figure out the problem.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:51 PM

Thanks Thermo. I unplugged the sensor and cleaned it. Checked the ring in the CV and is intact. I plugged the sensor back and next day same situation, light came back again in the same way I described you.
I decided to buy a new sensor, Autozone $56 plus taxes, like $60. Next day unplugged old one, placed the new one, and done. That was last Sunday. Today a was driving praying for everything be OK and.... bam, light came again follow by all my panel cluster turning into a Christmas Tree. Check engine light on, battery on, oil pressure on, emergency brake on, ABS of course on, the red gear with the symbol in the middle(I don't know the name of that one) on too, everything!!! The gauges, all of them stopped working, the speedometer stopped, the RPM stopped, everything stopped but the car was running fine!!! I checked the codes and the P1165 was there and P1638 too. This is driving me crazy!!! I have an electrical gremlin in my car!!!. It can be a bad ECM ??? Bad Instrument cluster, wires??? Help!!!!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

Based on what you are saying, this latest problem is a bad instrument cluster most likely. Probably worth the money to have a shop look at it and make sure. Besides, you will need the shop to reprogram the instrument cluster to allow use of the car.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:11 PM

Thanks Thermo. I'm going to have a shop to run a full diagnostic in the car. It if the instrument cluster that need to be replaced, it need to be reprogram??? Is not just buy, plug and that's it? Im being checking for used instrument cluster in Ebay and I can buy one but if have to be reprogram is going to cost. If have this problem again and have it running like that is going to affect the car in any way?

Last edited by Danomar200; 11-25-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:26 PM

I just arrive to my son's school. ABS light came on again, just the light, same code, P1165 RHR speed sensor, the same that i just replaced brand new on Sunday. The light came on exactly 18 miles starting from 0 this morning. No problem with the instrument cluster, just the ABS sensor light.
?????????????
PS: Last night I disconnected the battery for 3 hours and 30 minutes.

Last edited by Danomar200; 11-25-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Veteran member

Danomar, there are check numbers that the car looks for every time that you start your car. If you get an instrument cluster close to yours, you may not have any issues. The further away you get, the more likely you are to have a problem.

As for this problem affecting the car, it shouldn't affect anything. The biggest problem is you may not have anti-lock braking with all the lights lit up. You will still have the normal braking system, but if you get on something slick, the wheels may lock up on you if you press the brakes too hard

Old 11-26-2014, 09:05 AM

Thank you for your time Thermo. So basically, there is nothing to do about that light coming on and going of every day??? Ring seems fine, brand new sensor, no problem with the connector...
Anything else that can be causing this? Air in the brakes system, bad calipers, driving with tires are wider at the rear( 235-45 R17) vs. 225-45 R17 in front, anything else, any problem with the ABS module, ABS pump,..... or just give up?
I'm really going to appreciate your advice and help.
When you said an instrument cluster close to mine what do you mean? Same manufacturer part, same or about same milage, year, VIN....???

Last edited by Danomar200; 11-26-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:10 PM
Veteran member

Danomar, it would need to have a build date near what your instrument cluster has (it is imprinted into the instrument cluster as I recall). There is no defined "if it is within XX days, it will be fine" for this. Some people have gotten an instrument cluster 30 days different and been fine, others have gotten some 15 days different and it wouldn't work. It is all in where in the build your car was in relation to the other vehicle.

So, in short, start with finding one from the same year as your car. Then start asking when the car was built and see how that compares to the date in your driver's door jam.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:36 PM

Thanks Thermo. Forgive my ignorance, I'm new in all this. Thanks for your help. I'm been reading and everything points to an ABS module problem, besides the problem with the instrument cluster. I'm go to follow your advice and have the car check in a shop. The good thing is that it if the ABS module the one that need to be replace, my car doesn't have DCS so the module it doesn't need to be reprogram, just buy another one, plug and play.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, what happened in the end? It would be nice to have the finale and not be left in the limbo!

I have same codes on my S-Type 2003 V6 3.0Ltr. P1165, P1175, P1000. Somewhere I read P1165 is to do with Bank1 Long Term Fuel Trim Range 1 -Rich Limit exceeded. May be this was for another car!
Now, in this discussion , ABS seems to be at fault. I am more inclined to go for this as ABS light does stay o, as well as all the other main warnings- engine, etc.

As my speedo has also stopped at zero no matter what speed the car is travelling at, I have a feeling that it is to do with the same fault, as a measure, to ensure the driver stops and takes notice of the danger! Just like going into a limp mode.

So, it would be nice to hear the end of DANOMAR200's story- I hope there was a happy ending, but need to know the solution here as the narrative sofar is of little use to members except to waste time reading someone's misfortune, though, sympathetically!

I know, somewhere, someone has a list of the codes for different models (if they are different to each other), and another nice guy knows exactly how to point one in the right direction to resolve the issue. Please lets hear from these angels!

Old 06-28-2015, 09:40 AM

Sorry about that. And yes, it have a happy ending. Just replaced the ABS module with another one that I bought used from Ebay, it takes like 10 minutes to replace it, very easy if you have the tools, reset the codes with the scanner and that's it. Problem solved. I drove the car next day, same trip, same distance and nothing, that's it, no more codes or problems. I sent the faulty one to be fix. Thanks everybody for your help and concerns. I hope this helps another members with a similar or same problem.

Last edited by Danomar200; 06-28-2015 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cellutron (06-29-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May be I should go on the S Type discussion, but I wonder X Type and S type have some commonality in their fault codes!

I looked at the S Type list of codes and there seems to be missing the P1165! The P1175 though indicates an O2 sensor fault- Now where are these darling sensors that are causing problem now!

Old 06-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cellutron
May be I should go on the S Type discussion, but I wonder X Type and S type have some commonality in their fault codes!

I looked at the S Type list of codes and there seems to be missing the P1165! The P1175 though indicates an O2 sensor fault- Now where are these darling sensors that are causing problem now!
A spot check of 2002 X-type and S-type shows the same DTC for rear ABS sensors. I expect they both use Bosch ABS controllers.

Also note that ABS codes are chassis codes that start with "C" (e.g., C1165). These shouldn't be confused with powertrain codes that begin with "P" (which happened in this thread).

The following users liked this post:
cellutron (07-01-2015)