Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parked next to a new XF today.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Parked next to a new XF today.

I was parked next to a new XF at the car wash yesterday. I can honestly say I did not feel the least bit of envy or desire for that car. A while ago I test drove a new XF when I was thinking of buying one, so I know they are a very, very nice drive, but I can honestly say looking at both cars side by side, I can't see myself in one. I have even felt more desire towards a C class next to my car than for the XF.

Then today I saw a British Racing Green X type, all stock just like mine in the street at lunch time and thought the car stood out even amongst new luxury cars in the street. Maybe I am biased, who knows? but I have really become attached to the traditional styling of this car.

The only time I want to run to trade it in for a new car is when I come across some guy in a X type with big chrome rims and other "mods" -then I feel embarrassed to own the car and want to duck in the cabin.

But overall I think I have completely become emotionally invested in the car, although its my daily driver.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I totally understand. I just bought mine. I've only ever had Lexus luxury cars (LS 430 and ES 300), and I absolutely LOVE them, but something about my "new" X-Type is REALLY growing on me, to the point where I'm not driving it till I replace EVERYTHING that might need it.

Could cost many thousands eventually, but I'm not concerned, really. I just truly like this car....

Old 03-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Another nice thing about the X-Type is, most Americans know nothing about the Ford Mondeo connection. Most of my friends think I have an expensive luxury car. Just the other week, in the supermarket lot, a guy commented that my car looks fast. Of course I smiled and just quietly agreed!

Old 03-20-2015, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. I posted a picture on Facebook of the X Type lifted for the transfer case fluid change. It was the only time I'd posted anything about it.

Well my sister, who is quite well to do, said "HOW DO YOU HAVE A JAG???"

Little did she know, I paid less than 30% of her monthly paycheck for it, and have no car payment. Hehehe...

Old 03-20-2015, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

Apart from what it appears like to others, sitting in a X type, looking at the fluted bonnet gives you the same feeling you get sitting in a Mark2 or a series 3 XJ. You can't get that feel with the new cars anymore.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:03 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Apart from what it appears like to others, sitting in a X type, looking at the fluted bonnet gives you the same feeling you get sitting in a Mark2 or a series 3 XJ. You can't get that feel with the new cars anymore.
YES - the only design 'signature' on a current Jaguar is the grille and even that holds little connection to the previous generation models.

Fine cars they may be but becoming ever less distinguishable from their competitors.

Graham

Old 03-20-2015, 08:08 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

I get that feeling with my S1 XJ. I had a comment from a friends neighbour a while back, but didn't let him know the lawnmower he was perched on probably cost him double what my XJ6 owes me.
Oh, and I paid $150 for my push lawn mower in 1992 and have only replaced 1 plug and many blades. Just proves what a cheap skate I am.

The following users liked this post:
Spikepaga (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 08:35 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>YES - the only design 'signature' on a current Jaguar is the grille and even that holds little connection to the previous generation models.

Save up some $ and plan to get an XK in a couple of years. They still truly retain the classic Jaguar shape. Plus they still come with the naturally naturally aspirated 5.0 V8.
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star
he played a mean guitar
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 03-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
I get that feeling with my S1 XJ. I had a comment from a friends neighbour a while back, but didn't let him know the lawnmower he was perched on probably cost him double what my XJ6 owes me.
Oh, and I paid $150 for my push lawn mower in 1992 and have only replaced 1 plug and many blades. Just proves what a cheap skate I am.
I just pointed out the Mark 2 and S 3 XJ as examples. You really get that feeling with almost every sedan Jaguar made before 2010, the S1 XJ being no exception.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pab
>YES - the only design 'signature' on a current Jaguar is the grille and even that holds little connection to the previous generation models.

Save up some $ and plan to get an XK in a couple of years. They still truly retain the classic Jaguar shape. Plus they still come with the naturally naturally aspirated 5.0 V8.
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star
he played a mean guitar
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine
I agree. Although I like the XK8's much better than the 2007+ XK's, those still look pretty unique. And so does the F type, not as much as a XK8 though. The problem is the cookie cutter sedans.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the first jag I've owned, and idk what it is, but I'm attached to this car.
I'm currently plasti dipping my rims as a cheap way to make them look nice, since they have quite a few scuffs and scratches.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

The X-Type still looks good because it's retro-styled. There are few if any old non-retro-styled cars out there that still look like they might be fairly modern. Take a look at any 6+ year old BMW or Mercedes or anything, and they're bound to look old because their models are updated rather frequently.

Name:  JBdMBTft.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  9.2 KB

To my eyes, the 1st gen XF looks dated now.

I agree. Although I like the XK8's much better than the 2007+ XK's, those still look pretty unique. And so does the F type, not as much as a XK8 though. The problem is the cookie cutter sedans.
Name:  WCChMISt.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  10.9 KB

I agree. The headlights on the later XK don't seem to fit on the front at all.

The following users liked this post:
Spikepaga (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

I tell people mine has " Retro Classic" styling ..a la the Mk2 & Mk10 . The best part is , it still smells car new when I get in . Classic styling jags , give you as much pleasure just standing looking at them , as Sitting in & driving them . XF & XE are nice looking , but in reality they are just " another " car...

Old 03-26-2015, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
The X-Type still looks good because it's retro-styled. There are few if any old non-retro-styled cars out there that still look like they might be fairly modern. Take a look at any 6+ year old BMW or Mercedes or anything, and they're bound to look old because their models are updated rather frequently.

To my eyes, the 1st gen XF looks dated now.

I agree. The headlights on the later XK don't seem to fit on the front at all.
Well , and the new, just released XF has been made to look exactly like the XE. So basically all the sedans look virtually like the same S-M-L version of the same thing.

XE:

NEW XF

And the XJ

And their SUV will also look exactly the same.

Even the F type has the same grill.

But the X type was bashed for looking like a XJ.

And don't even get me started on the interiors. I have heard claims that its they have more wood than ever, and if that's true, they have somehow managed to make the Illusion of that the opposite is true.

In any case, the only car that interests me from Jaguar now is the F type even with that grill. I don't think I would be interested in trading my X type for any of those sedans.

Last edited by Spikepaga; 03-26-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyrr100
Another nice thing about the X-Type is, most Americans know nothing about the Ford Mondeo connection. Most of my friends think I have an expensive luxury car. Just the other week, in the supermarket lot, a guy commented that my car looks fast. Of course I smiled and just quietly agreed!
I can second this. Haha. Most other mechanics look at the thing and say, "are you sure you want to mess with that thing?"

That being said, I'm in love with the new F-Types... even if they don't exactly retain to what people think is classic. Riding next to a new one on the street just makes me feel cool, haha. It's like seeing other X Types. I loved the early 00 XK's (since the rear resembles my X Type ;P), and I do like the XK's right now. Headlights may look a bit weird, but it's a noticeable car. New XF I think doesn't look good whatsoever. Barely distinguishable. XE looks a tad better but is still barely distinguishable. The new look of the XJ on the other hand looks god awful to me. The rear is just ow. I can't see myself even parking next to one. I may just be biased towards my X Type... I wouldn't mind an early 05 XKR. If only in manual =/

Last edited by Xtyper; 03-27-2015 at 07:27 PM.